TWO.2 listening impressions

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: TWO.2 listening impressions
« Reply #40 on: 16 Jun 2010, 06:42 pm »
The gopher sings the "Caddyshack-I'm All Right.." Very cool!!! Enjoy the music!!! :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #41 on: 16 Jun 2010, 06:59 pm »
ok, that's too cool, I gotta order me a gopher.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #42 on: 17 Jun 2010, 11:15 pm »
OK..now that I have had it for a week(and really like the unit)..I want to tinker/tweak/violate the TWO.2!!
I got a DAC that can be a pre-amp so thats an option...take out vol.pot from the mix?
Mess with the jumpers and tweak the sub out?? That would bypass Auricaps I think though right??
Pumpkinman was here awhile ago and gave me a high-five so I'm on the right track and believe me when I say if it ain't broke don't fix it but I gotta tinker...!! :eyebrows:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 21 Jun 2010, 07:53 pm »
TWO.2 in a 2.1 setup with 80hz. filter is one sweet rig I must say...Its just very musical, sounds very alive and the drum sounds I'm hearing sound like actual drums and cymbals sound, very natural tones you can visualize in front of you. I understand why they call it "reference grade"...enough of my babble, suffice it to say its a keeper for me. Thanks Virtue for making a great product!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #44 on: 23 Jun 2010, 02:45 pm »
I hit on a great setup with this TWO.2 for anybody who is interested:  Squeezebox DUET-<SRBCoax-<Tube DAC-<TWO.2-< 2.1 Speaker configuration.
 This is the first setup I've used with the SB that has me smiling from ear to ear. Its the perfect setup for me and my computer music.
Wav files via SB to DAC to Two.2 with the 80hz filter in place just sounds so smooth and even throughout the entire frequency range.
If you have one of these units and a SB I urge to try it out...pretty cool, I'm diggin it!! :thumb: :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 1 Jul 2010, 02:11 pm »
I turned a great setup into an excellent one by changing the jumpers to disable the TWO.2's volume control attenuator and converted my Tube DAC to a pre-amp. This is definitely the way to go for me and my gear. There is just so much more behind the music on every level, more depth, more detail and even better imaging. The blend between my front speakers and the sub is seamless and with added punch but not boomy at all.
There is plenty of power here for me with this unit, I can easily fill my 12 X 18 foot room with music and have tremendous headroom to spare. This is the first time I have ever used a dedicated amp and pre-amp in my setup. I doubt I'll ever change that because the
benefit it provides as far as muscle behind the music is very nice...I didn't realize what a difference changing the configuration would have
but its very impressive.
 :drool:

Rclark

« Reply #46 on: 1 Jul 2010, 07:20 pm »
 Hmm, eventually I'll be running either an Emotiva UMC-1 or the new XMC-1 (probably the latter but I won't know until they release a price, still, the specs are astounding), and when it comes time for that I'm gonna wanna probably find a way to disable the preamp on the Sensation.

Still, I'm just looking forward to hearing all this bone-stock. I'll probably keel over with how good it's gonna be.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 1 Jul 2010, 07:24 pm »
Hopefully you don't keel over...at least until it breaks in. :wink:
 :rock:

Rclark

« Reply #48 on: 1 Jul 2010, 09:04 pm »
That's the part that's going to KILL me, the break in. My Mac Ultra Silver+ interconnects just showed up and it says:

"...this break in process can take up to several hundred hours to fully settle in".

So after ALL I'll have gone through to get everything up and running, all I can then do is turn it on and walk away for a week  :?

Still, it's cool owning such stuff for the first time, I've never owned cables that said loudly : do not twist or touch or bend them at 90 degrees! They are pure precious metals. Handle by connectors only!

I've never seen that before. I'm used to treating cables like afterthoughts.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #49 on: 1 Jul 2010, 09:08 pm »
Rclark-Plug it in and listen, enjoy, its not like you can't listen as they sound great out of the box...heck I was thrilled 10 minutes after I plugged it in...just remember it gets better and better and better...LOL> Enjoy!!! :thumb:

Nuuk

• Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
    • Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #50 on: 2 Jul 2010, 08:11 am »
Seconded. Burn-in means that something gets better after a period of use, NOT that it sounds awful until that period has passed.

Be careful not to let hype, and forum gossip spoil your enjoyment of this hobby. It's quite easy to make any hi-fi sound bad if you believe that something is 'wrong'!  :wink:

PSB Guy

« Reply #51 on: 2 Jul 2010, 03:33 pm »
Rclark-Plug it in and listen, enjoy, its not like you can't listen as they sound great out of the box...heck I was thrilled 10 minutes after I plugged it in...just remember it gets better and better and better...LOL> Enjoy!!! :thumb:
Seconded. Burn-in means that something gets better after a period of use, NOT that it sounds awful until that period has passed.

Be careful not to let hype, and forum gossip spoil your enjoyment of this hobby. It's quite easy to make any hi-fi sound bad if you believe that something is 'wrong'!  :wink:
Amen. My original One with the 30v/130w power supply continues to amaze me since it "woke up" from the break-in period. Great stuff, these little amps... :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #52 on: 2 Jul 2010, 06:39 pm »
lol ok because the word "rollercoaster" had been used so i'm imagining carnival funhouse nightmares of change in the sound until a sudden focusing and filling out..

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #53 on: 2 Jul 2010, 07:21 pm »
Roller-coaster is right.  This is the high-end.  Worse, with the wrong speakers, the amps are no great shakes.   They're also better with bigger supplies, quieter with batteries, etc.  There is no need to sugar coat, split hairs, apologize, etc.

That's the net-net.  Let's move on to another topic and continue to provide useful and interesting new information for existing customers and prospects, with every post.

Rclark

« Reply #54 on: 2 Jul 2010, 08:22 pm »
huh?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #55 on: 2 Jul 2010, 08:34 pm »
Rclark-what did you finally decide on??

sugbob21

« Reply #56 on: 2 Jul 2010, 08:44 pm »
I've had a one.2 now for two weeks that was on tour and it sounded great right out of the box. So much so that i ordered a Sensation. It must be sounding better and better by now but i am enjoying it so much that i just enjoy the music and no longer worry about how it sounds compared to yesterday. I havnt just listened  and enjoyed without being critical for a long time . Burn in means nothing if it doesnt sound decent from the get go. just my opinion

Rclark

« Reply #57 on: 2 Jul 2010, 09:10 pm »
Either a 451 or 901. Since I'll order upgrades for either it's tough to tell whether there will be any difference between them. Right now I'm waiting on Ruben's flatpack for n3, I'll build the kit, and near the end finalize my amp selection. I have cables and interconnects and in a few days new cdp.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 21 Jul 2010, 06:11 pm »
I have found that bypassing the volume pot and running the speakers full-range has become my setup of choice. I was using the high pass filter for awhile and decided to switch to full range via the jumpers since I turned the TWO into an amp only..sounds fabulous with those Auricaps singing away..this will remain my setup at least for this week!!  Enjoy!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #59 on: 21 Jul 2010, 07:19 pm »
Very interesting, Ed.  I'm going to disable the pot on the tour unit when I get home today.