A/V Rack

morganc

A/V Rack
« on: 20 May 2020, 04:57 am »
Looking for a multi use rack for stereo and TV.  I saw a thread here a few weeks back with lots of good resources. I can't find it now. Any recommendations? 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: A/V Rack
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2020, 08:20 am »

alexbpm

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2020, 08:21 pm »
Mapleshade has some incredible racks if it's in your budget.  If not, there's always this:
https://www.usahifi.com/products/racksstands/audio-racks

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2020, 11:59 am »
TimberNation offers a variety of very well built customizable racks.

alexbpm

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2020, 02:24 am »
I actually placed an order with Timber Nation for a specialty rack. They can make any rack in any dimensions you want, but just fyi he has 6-12 week wait times.

JLM

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2020, 11:40 am »
I actually placed an order with Timber Nation for a specialty rack. They can make any rack in any dimensions you want, but just fyi he has 6-12 week wait times.

Good for you.  Yes mine took weeks, until then the gear sat on the shipping boxes.  The one fret I had was that he took my customized order over the phone - I'm used to working with plans to ensure getting exactly what is ordered but it worked out.

mav52

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2020, 12:11 pm »
Good for you.  Yes mine took weeks, until then the gear sat on the shipping boxes.  The one fret I had was that he took my customized order over the phone - I'm used to working with plans to ensure getting exactly what is ordered but it worked out.
  He took my order via an email, with my specifications, then called me to discuss. 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2020, 03:38 pm »
I have standard cheap but nice and sturdy square metal tube and glass shelf big box store racks I bought a very long time ago.
One tall and two TV sort (one TV sort holds my two turntables)
The big upgrade to them happened last year when I added butcher blocs under each and every component. 20 Butcher Blocks in fact..(that includes Butcher blocks on floor under amp and power conditioners. and some Butcher Blocks doubled up particularly under amp and turntables.
This is just to say there could be an upgrade path keeping what ever shelving one has, but adding good solid Butcher Blocks under equipment.
Mine definitely improved the sound.
In addition I added bits of Exotic wood as footers, but that is another story

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2020, 09:25 pm »

Yes, I’m with you. I have a hard time trusting vendors who only deal over the phone and then don’t send an email confirmation or fail to acknowledge yours. The phone thing seems to have more to do with salesmanship and selling more product or upgrades than it has to do with great service. Happily my email/phone dealings with AC vendors (Jim Salk, Frank Van Alstine, Rick Craig) have always been outstanding and professional.)

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2020, 11:39 am »
Yes, I’m with you. I have a hard time trusting vendors who only deal over the phone and then don’t send an email confirmation or fail to acknowledge yours. The phone thing seems to have more to do with salesmanship and selling more product or upgrades than it has to do with great service. Happily my email/phone dealings with AC vendors (Jim Salk, Frank Van Alstine, Rick Craig) have always been outstanding and professional.)

Got the impression TimberNation is literally a one man shop and he is a carpenter first and foremost.  Not taking the time to send out confirmations or do email helps to keep prices down and obviously he's plenty busy.  Yes, would prefer all the niceties but at the end of the day, it's the final product that matters most. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2020, 01:27 pm »
I believe he is.  I remember when he came on the high-end audio scene years ago as a carpenter and furniture builder.  Started offering racks and such because I think someone saw his work and pointed him to audio-land.

Building good looking square / rectangle racks for a craftsman like him with a complete shop is cake, and gives good profit -- probably higher margins than the furniture industry in which he was operating.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2020, 05:13 pm »
Check out VTI racks.  They are well made and reasonably priced.  Some have wire management.

http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/

revrob