Simple Solution Needed for TV audio through 2 Channel Rig

morganc

Is there any easy solution to connect my TV to my Pre amp with using a Pre/Pro?   
It only has digital Outs, including An Optical Out and one labeled USB but doesn't say in or out. 

Any thoughts?  I'm assuming a DAC would be needed? 

MttBsh

Re: Simple Solution Needed for TV audio through 2 Channel Rig
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2020, 03:36 am »
I run the optical out on my TV to the optical in on my DAC, which then feeds my preamp and amp. With high efficiency speakers and twin subs TV audio sounds amazing!

morganc

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2020, 04:12 am »
That sounds pretty easy!  Thanks.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2020, 04:51 am »
+1 on what MttBsh said - except I have just a single sub.  :(

Charles Calkins

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2020, 05:42 am »

If your TV has RCA audio out jacks you can run them to your preamp.

brj

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2020, 06:43 am »
Is this for the system you have described in your AC profile, the one with the Mac Mini?  The audio input on the 2010 Mac Mini is a dual analog/digital connection.  You could run an optical cable from your TV to your Mac Mini, and from there the rest of your system stays the same.

If you find the audio routing on the Mac Mini to be inconvenient, I recommend buying the Rogue Amoeba "Loopback" application to make it (much) simpler.  Makes audio routing very simple, even between apps.

(I have the optical out of my Oppo BDP-105 connected to the optical input of my 2012 Mac Mini, which connects to my DAC via USB.  My TV and Apple TV are connected to the Oppo via HDMI.  This way, whether I want to play a DVD/BD, stream Netflix (or whatever) from the Apple TV, or watch broadcast TV, I can use my audio system for the sound. My stereo playback, I stick with Roon, but for everything else, I rely on Loopback for the routing, including even Youtube videos on the Mini.)

Good luck!

morganc

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2020, 05:05 am »
Easy solution: toslink from tv into Dac works well.  However I get no VC this way. 

Next question:  If I upgraded to an Apple TV with a toslink out, would the Remote on the Apple TV  work for the volume? 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2020, 08:38 am »
Easy solution: toslink from tv into Dac works well.  However I get no VC this way. 

Next question:  If I upgraded to an Apple TV with a toslink out, would the Remote on the Apple TV  work for the volume?
VC = volume control?

It’s odd that this is happening. It must be a setting somewhere on your tv. I’ve done this with several TVs and never had an issue. Only issue I’ve ever had was when I forgot to set my TV output to PCM instead of Dolby surround.

Perhaps there’s a setting like fixed volume that needs to be adjusted?

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2020, 12:56 pm »
The above post is correct.  Many TVs have a setting of internal vs. external speakers on the audio set-up menu.  There may also be settings for digital output.

morganc

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2020, 04:59 am »
VC = volume control?

It’s odd that this is happening. It must be a setting somewhere on your tv. I’ve done this with several TVs and never had an issue. Only issue I’ve ever had was when I forgot to set my TV output to PCM instead of Dolby surround.

Perhaps there’s a setting like fixed volume that needs to be adjusted?

Yes when I switch the tv setting from the internal speaker to the Toslink, the volume control setting on the tv no longer works. Can't seem to solve even after going through all the settings.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2020, 11:45 am »
Yes when I switch the tv setting from the internal speaker to the Toslink, the volume control setting on the tv no longer works. Can't seem to solve even after going through all the settings.
Can’t you control the volume through your preamp?