Virtue ONE.2/TWO.2 and Ascend's Sierra-1 speakers

prosass

Virtue ONE.2/TWO.2 and Ascend's Sierra-1 speakers
« on: 15 Nov 2010, 03:31 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm aware of the combo TWO.2/Ascend CMT-340 SE available Virtue store, but from I've read on the forums and reviews, the Sierras are much better than the CMT-340 but they need a more powerful amp. Has any of you tried that combination? Can the Virtue ONE/TWO run the Sierras decently or do the spekers need more watts than what the Virtue's can supply?

Thanks a lot for any input you might have.

Prosass

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Virtue ONE.2/TWO.2 and Ascend's Sierra-1 speakers
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2010, 08:22 pm »
We ran Sierras with wonderful results at RMAF in '09.  However, they will sound even better with ICEBlock or a more powerful amp.  They love power.  The 340s are a much more sensitive instrument.  On them, you really can't go beyond 1/2 power with our amps before your ears start to bleed.

prosass

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2010, 08:50 am »
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I will need to run the Sierras too loud in my little apartment, but good sound always wants more and more volume if you know what I mean. It's a pity you guys don't have a combo Virtue TWO.2/Ascend Sierra's, I'm sure it would sell like hot dogs.

Paco

goorackerelite

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2010, 04:46 am »
While yes the Sierras can run with the 1.2 or the 2.2 t-path amps. it's too insensitive of a speaker for the T-Path amps, the Sierras are POWERHOGS needing all the power you can feed them. I have both the sierras and the 170SE. The 170SE's sound worlds, I mean WORLDS better with the T-path amps than running the Sierras off the T-path amps. The combination of the 170se's and the 1.2 is a wonderful and very special sounding setup, sounding focused, nuanced, tight, with amazing dampening and surprisingly full bass response. The Sierra running off the 1.2 or the 2.2 sounds almost muffled and unfocused in comparison.