Sensation As A Preamp

ZLS

Sensation As A Preamp
« on: 13 Jun 2010, 06:37 am »
    I do not know if this has been covered in a previous thread, so please forgive me if it has been. 
    Has anyone else just used the Sensation as a Preamp?  It is terrific!  Musical, vibrant, revealing,
and most pf all it makes the music fun to listen to. 
    I am sending out my Sensation to have the tube front end put in, which by all accounts will only make the Sensation sound better. 
    Imagine; for one low price you get a great integrated amp, a wondrous preamp, and if you act in the next 5 minutes I am sure Seth will throw in at absolutely no additional cost a set of Ginzu Knives guaranteed to last for 500 years!
    (I have heard though there has been no conformation, that the Ginzu Knives have been cryoed) 
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2010, 11:00 am by ZLS »

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: But Wait; There's More!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2010, 06:44 am »
LOL... Zach, you're too funny.  Yes, the Ginzu's have been cryo'd and yes, it's a great pre-amp.  With the tube buffer (coming out soon), your observation will be truly bonafide.  It will be better than great.

dvenardos

Re: Sensation As A Preamp
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2010, 12:40 am »
Dang it, don't tell him that.  :flame:
I have been trying to get Seth to do separates since he started this charity (ahem, er business) and you are not helping me here.  :nono:
Glad you are enjoying your Sensation. :beer:

I do not know if this has been covered in a previous thread, so please forgive me if it has been. 
    Has anyone else just used the Sensation as a Preamp?  It is terrific!  Musical, vibrant, revealing,
and most pf all it makes the music fun to listen to.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2010, 02:37 am »
With the tube buffer (coming out soon), your observation will be truly bonafide.  It will be better than great.

Hey. What? What tube buffer? Inside the Sensation?

Mariusz

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2010, 02:56 am »
Hey. What? What tube buffer? Inside the Sensation?
:eyebrows: yeah!

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2010, 08:28 am »
Oh :oops: OK I found the relevant thread now...

Steve53

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2010, 09:42 pm »
I realize I am replying to an old thread but would it be too difficult to just build a straight pre-amp on the Melissa platform using the Sensation pre topography for those who are using Iceblock mono's and don't need an integrated? I'm sure Seth has considered this. Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all.

dvenardos

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2010, 10:08 pm »
Here is a point where Seth and I have a fundamental disagreement. I am a separates guy and just love them, however, Seth thinks that separates are a waste of money and isn't interested in producing them. Apparently, dropping the amp section doesn't save that much in production costs. So, while it could be done I wouldn't hold your breath in waiting for Virtue to do it.  :nono:

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2010, 10:15 pm »
I am using my Dodd buffered Sensation M901 to drive the ICEBlocks and the sound is sensational (no pun).  :thumb:  In fact is is probably the best sound I have ever witnessed in my room.  I will never tire of it as I have rediscovered my music collection and it is all good. I personally can not ask for a better application for Virtue products than this combo unless  Seth has something juicer to cut with those Ginzus ????

mcgarick

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2010, 10:25 pm »
Does the Sensation have an active preamp?

Can you bypass the installed tube buffer if you want to on the sensation amps??

dvenardos

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2010, 11:36 pm »
Yes, the preamp is active.

The tube buffer is an optional upgrade.

ltr317

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2010, 11:51 pm »

If the Sensation has the optional Dodd tube buffer there's an on/off switch inside the unit.

saisunil

« Reply #12 on: 25 Dec 2010, 12:13 am »
I believe - it has a passive pre-amp (volume pot).
The tube buffer is just that - a buffer.

Now, can you say a tube buffer (zero gain) with a volume control is the same as an active pre-amp?

Active pre-amps provide gain and this one probably does not ...
Unless of course I am wrong ...

As someone said before - the beauty of of sensation is - it being a single box solution ...

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #13 on: 26 Dec 2010, 09:25 am »
Yip, thanks for the follow-on here.  The pre-amp OUT section in Sensation is active but 1:1 (no gain).  It is passive to the Tripath chip. 

Sensation is integrated and I think doing separates at this price point is a waste of money.  With ICEBlock it makes sense to me.  I had hope to put MORE features in the box than we were able to get - thankfully, they have been well received and now that Donny has a nice woman, he should really get off my case.

jtsnead

« Reply #14 on: 26 Dec 2010, 02:48 pm »
I think a clarification should be made that the tube buffer is only active on the amplifier stage not the preamp stage.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #15 on: 26 Dec 2010, 04:08 pm »
I think a clarification should be made that the tube buffer is only active on the amplifier stage not the preamp stage.

The tube buffered parts of the preamp section are active as well, its inline with the preamp out and is attached to the Pot and the pot is always active. this does give your preamp outs the benefits of the tube buffer

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #16 on: 26 Dec 2010, 05:27 pm »
Yip, JT is right.  The tube and LM4562 op-amps are very active in the pre-outs.  It's a solid pre-amp on the merits.

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #17 on: 26 Dec 2010, 07:47 pm »
Both of you are correct! :thumb: Buffered inputs to the op-amps and then to the outputs.
It is still a SS preamp.
Gary

dvenardos

« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2010, 10:25 pm »
And been so busy I didn't even notice this.  :green:

...thankfully, they have been well received and now that Donny has a nice woman, he should really get off my case.