Your dream wheels...

mort

Re: Your dream wheels...
« Reply #100 on: 19 Aug 2011, 03:17 pm »
Or a bike!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #101 on: 19 Aug 2011, 03:18 pm »
For a more just world, I'd peddle right next to you.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #102 on: 19 Aug 2011, 03:47 pm »
Holder of about 8 world speed records for productions cars and lap records. This is my favorite version. It's the open cockpit version, the Can-Am. And best of all it is power by a good old small black Chevy engine.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #103 on: 19 Aug 2011, 03:49 pm »
1)Mercedes Benz
2)AWD/4WD/4-matic
3)Four door
4)Black
5)V8...

My dream car has five simple requirements...

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #104 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:21 pm »
Lamborghini Countach

Watch it at the beginning of The Cannonball Run!

Gene

richidoo

« Reply #105 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:46 pm »
Bob, is that the Bonneville F1 car? I never saw a pic when it was news.

SHV

« Reply #106 on: 19 Aug 2011, 05:20 pm »
"agreed - truly great cars don't need any audio system of any sort - the engine will make all the music needed."
A V-12 and Tubi exhaust system.

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #107 on: 19 Aug 2011, 05:27 pm »
Bob, is that the Bonneville F1 car? I never saw a pic when it was news.
Nope, It's a fictitious car on a video game called GT5.  :wink:
But hey, it's still a "dream" car, right?

Bob

betamax

« Reply #108 on: 26 Aug 2011, 08:14 pm »
have to view it in motion...

Stu Pitt

« Reply #109 on: 28 Aug 2011, 02:16 am »
Any thing electric. Utilitarian preferably. I never again want to stand at a gas pump watching numbers fly by faster than I can ever dream of making them,  supporting forien wars not to mention gready corperations who continue to collect record profits from people who are addicted to their sauce, while at the same time reciving massive subsities from our corperation owned government. Can anybody say run on?

If and when electric cars become commonplace, you can bet that electricity companies will get all the perks and favors that the gas companies got, if not more.  The electric companies already seem to be pretty corrupt as it is. 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #110 on: 28 Aug 2011, 02:21 am »
My father is a mechanic and also buys and sells cars.  Took his newly acquired Volvo S80 with V8 and AWD out for a spin the other day.  Very great car to drive that seems a bit under the radar.  The guy he bought it from is an old friend who's owned a few comparable BMWs and Mercedes over the years.  He sold it to my father to buy a 2011 M5 and seriously regrets it. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #111 on: 28 Aug 2011, 02:52 am »
Quote from: mort on 19 Aug 2011, 10:07 AM
Any thing electric. Utilitarian preferably. I never again want to stand at a gas pump watching numbers fly by faster than I can ever dream of making them,  supporting forien wars not to mention gready corperations who continue to collect record profits from people who are addicted to their sauce, while at the same time reciving massive subsities from our corperation owned government. Can anybody say run on?

Quote from: Stu Pitt on Today at 09:16 PM
If and when electric cars become commonplace, you can bet that electricity companies will get all the perks and favors that the gas companies got, if not more.  The electric companies already seem to be pretty corrupt as it is.
electric cars also require massive federal subsidies to be competitive with internal combustion engine cars.  big federal rebate for each car sold, big federal subsidies for research for battery techonology & infrastructure, etc.  and, re: efficiency and pollution savings, the reality is that, after you measure the cost/pollution of electrical power generation, the added cost/pollution of manufacturing electric wehicles, and the added cost/pollution of battery disposal, it's really a wash. 

no doubt, electric cars are coming - gas is only going to go up in price, as it becomes scarcer and scarcer.  but don't kid yourselves, electric cars ain't no panacea.

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #112 on: 28 Aug 2011, 03:07 am »
My father is a mechanic and also buys and sells cars.  Took his newly acquired Volvo S80 with V8 and AWD out for a spin the other day.  Very great car to drive that seems a bit under the radar.  The guy he bought it from is an old friend who's owned a few comparable BMWs and Mercedes over the years.  He sold it to my father to buy a 2011 M5 and seriously regrets it.
volvo as dream car.  now, that is really funny!   :lol: 

tho, i wouldn't mind a nice mint 1800es...

doug s.

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #113 on: 28 Aug 2011, 10:31 am »

Indeed, the M5 is not for everyone. It's either heaven or hell. And nothing in between.

For the very special and determined few (with titanium spine), It's truly heaven, the best sport sedan on the planet.  V10 power (now V8 with some fans, pity) , superb suspention and agility, there's hardly more to ask.

For those fancy big engine ,4-doors and a nicely cushioned ride, it's worse than hell. There're only 3 ride settings--- trolley with wooden wheels mode,  roll down the stairs in a wood wheel trolley mode, and by pushing a few buttons,  you are guaranteed to be very well shaken and mixed up in the  'roll down the stairs in a wood wheel trolley @ 166MPH M mode'.  :icon_lol:

amblin

« Reply #114 on: 28 Aug 2011, 11:03 am »
electric cars also require massive federal subsidies to be competitive with internal combustion engine cars.  big federal rebate for each car sold, big federal subsidies for research for battery techonology & infrastructure, etc.  and, re: efficiency and pollution savings, the reality is that, after you measure the cost/pollution of electrical power generation, the added cost/pollution of manufacturing electric wehicles, and the added cost/pollution of battery disposal, it's really a wash. 

no doubt, electric cars are coming - gas is only going to go up in price, as it becomes scarcer and scarcer.  but don't kid yourselves, electric cars ain't no panacea.

doug s.

Nope, they won't come, they'll be either completely flat & dead like a salted fish on their half way here.  Or the driver will simply refuse to come, because it's out of range, and fast charging ruins those expensive batteries, everybody knows that.  :icon_lol:

Electric cars can become a very nice short range transport if the owner work in the local post office or supermarket, in a very small town, very close to his home, and all of his friends live very near. . .Or, i think if they change all city buses and taxies to electric, it'll also work out nicely . But as a convenient personal/family transport, it simply wouldn't suffice, it's too complicated to use, and will cost more in a long term. 

And i wonder why car manufacturers love to put an 'i' before the names of their electric and electro-petro mutant cars. Maybe it's a sign of caution, a warning, 'i' = incompetent.  Warning, you are buying the incompetent ill fated cousin of the car family, for a higher price.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #115 on: 28 Aug 2011, 03:54 pm »
My father is a mechanic and also buys and sells cars.  Took his newly acquired Volvo S80 with V8 and AWD out for a spin the other day.  Very great car to drive that seems a bit under the radar.
For my twenty plus years in the auto business, I totally disregarded Volvo as a vehicle I want nothing to do with, especially the repair aspect.  :roll:
But I now find myself working at a Volvo dealership and have "discovered" their sleeper status. They've had twin turbo's and AWD for years. The AWD V8 is definitely a sleeper. The new S60 R looks to knock our socks off as well.
It's a shame only old men drive them.  :lol:

But wait...this is a "dream car" thread. Volvo's don't belong here.  :nono:

Bob

amblin

« Reply #116 on: 28 Aug 2011, 05:30 pm »
For my twenty plus years in the auto business, I totally disregarded Volvo as a vehicle I want nothing to do with, especially the repair aspect.  :roll:
But I now find myself working at a Volvo dealership and have "discovered" their sleeper status. They've had twin turbo's and AWD for years. The AWD V8 is definitely a sleeper. The new S60 R looks to knock our socks off as well.
It's a shame only old men drive them.  :lol:

But wait...this is a "dream car" thread. Volvo's don't belong here.  :nono:

Bob

It's all about reputation, reputation is especially important for this sort of cars.

In a good Merc, you'll usually find a well mannered, matured man, the kind of sleek guy who wears tailored suit and able to make a good joke on almost anything to please his lady friends. 

In a performance Bimmer, there's usually the kind of dude who uses alot of hair dressing product, wears fancy sun glasses, and you'll usually find a bottle of expensive exotic mineral water in the cup holder.

In a Volvo, there's the intelligent man,  who's familiar with technical drawings, or highly complicated stuffs. The kind of person able to think up the word 'tellurion', while most other ppls would say 'erm.. the globe' :green:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #117 on: 28 Aug 2011, 05:43 pm »
Yea, I have my "wide sweeping" opinions of most Saab and Volvo owners and for the sake of peace will be keeping them to myself.
I've got two Chevrolets in the garage and won't be changing anytime soon.  :wink:

Bob

p.s. Just to keep things on topic, here's another "Dream wheel" of mine:

amblin

« Reply #118 on: 28 Aug 2011, 06:00 pm »
Yea, I have my "wide sweeping" opinions of most Saab and Volvo owners and for the sake of peace will be keeping them to myself.
I've got two Chevrolets in the garage and won't be changing anytime soon.  :wink:

Bob

p.s. Just to keep things on topic, here's another "Dream wheel" of mine:

Oh, the Atom. Test driven one quite a while back when it first came out.  Fantastic little car, stripped down to the very essentials of driving pleasure and raw excitements.  I think they're now making an even more crazy V8 model. 

It's abit over the top for me, i felt very un-easy, even a bit terrified while driving it without the full protective gears-- HANS, helmet, flame suit, the lot.   It's very hard-core, very serious. Very different from the rather friendly Caterhams. With the caterhams, i was able to drive it wearing swimming goggles because it's 'more funny'. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #119 on: 28 Aug 2011, 08:08 pm »
i got my first wolwo at the ripe old age of 17, and drove them until ~1991, when i got into alfas.  alfas were my daily drivers until 2009.  i still have a nice 3.0 gtwe6, but i don't wanna destroy it by making it my daily driver, like i did my last one - stiff aftermarket suspension, 150k in 10 years, thru winters - it took its toll...

i would love to drive an ariel atom; topgear did a great bit on it a coupla years ago...  i am toying w/the idea of letting go my pantera in favor of a used lotus elise; the ariel would be up for consideration if it were not so spendy...

doug s.