• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Breeze Tour Impressions
« Reply #41 on: 27 Jun 2013, 12:23 am »
Wow. That doesn't look like fun at all.  :icon_twisted:

bigbang

« Reply #42 on: 27 Jun 2013, 12:23 am »
I got it! A little late though, you're good!

It was a fun week.  8)

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #43 on: 27 Jun 2013, 01:10 am »
I got it! A little late though, you're good!

It was a fun week.  8)

Impressions!  We'd love to hear them  :thumb:

rebbi

« Reply #44 on: 27 Jun 2013, 01:01 pm »
Hey Ryan,

Any more thoughts on getting a second Breeze pair on the tour?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #45 on: 29 Jun 2013, 03:15 pm »
Hey Ryan,

Any more thoughts on getting a second Breeze pair on the tour?

It's just money  :wink:

We have generated some sales from the tour so far.  I'd say if that continues, sending another pair out for listening is exactly what we'll do.  When money is concerned, I just like to take it slow. 

Now come on bigbang, let's hear some listening impressions!

bigbang

« Reply #46 on: 30 Jun 2013, 07:59 pm »
Not really a review, but here's my take on the Breeze.

In order of impression -

They are HEAVY for a small speaker!

They are not a very sensitive speaker. Don't let that scare you, just an observation that hit me right off the bat, although published numbers would show otherwise. Disclaimer, all measurements were done with my ears.

The transition from the mid/woofer to the RAAL is excellent. I don't know squat about the technical aspects of a cross over, but I'd say this is a fine example by the sound of it. I've had/have two other sets of speakers with RAAL's here, and this speaker implements them as well as any of the others.

What I call "soundstage" was also very good. I did not get much time with them, so position experimentation was minimal. But the little time I spent with them showed promise.

If I had to describe these in one word, I would call them "polite". Your mileage and ears may vary.

There you have it. I'd love to hear their other offerings sometime!

R_burke

« Reply #47 on: 30 Jun 2013, 08:48 pm »
If I had to describe these in one word, I would call them "polite". Your mileage and ears may vary.

To help me better understand things, what are you comparing them to, what is your current set up?

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #48 on: 1 Jul 2013, 03:06 am »
Not really a review, but here's my take on the Breeze.

In order of impression -

They are HEAVY for a small speaker!

They are not a very sensitive speaker. Don't let that scare you, just an observation that hit me right off the bat, although published numbers would show otherwise. Disclaimer, all measurements were done with my ears.

The transition from the mid/woofer to the RAAL is excellent. I don't know squat about the technical aspects of a cross over, but I'd say this is a fine example by the sound of it. I've had/have two other sets of speakers with RAAL's here, and this speaker implements them as well as any of the others.

What I call "soundstage" was also very good. I did not get much time with them, so position experimentation was minimal. But the little time I spent with them showed promise.

thanks for posting bigbang.

Published sensitivity of the Breeze is 86.5dB/2.83V.  That's pretty low sensitivity.  Not sure why you think the published specs don't reflect the low sensitivity impression.  Stiff Breeze on the other hand is about 91dB/2.83V, but it's a 4 Ohm speaker.

bigbang

« Reply #49 on: 2 Jul 2013, 12:26 am »
Sorry, I meant that they do not seem as efficient as some with lower numbers than the Breeze.

Current set up is a couple different low/mid fi sources feeding digital to an Onkyo 886 where it turns it to 2.1 or 5.1 depending on the source material. L/R (and surround when applicable) signals are fed to a Sunfire Cinema Grand II AC that was brought back up to spec a couple years ago.

The only processing done to the signal is the x-over to the subs @ 80hz which is done in the 886, then the subs are eq'd with a Velodyne SMS-1. Subs are two SVS SB12 NSD's.

All interconnects are decent quality but nothing exotic.

Room is pretty dead with minor treatments.

Current speakers in house are Selah Tempestas and a couple GR Research 2 way models.

jonbee

« Reply #50 on: 2 Jul 2013, 12:33 am »

Current speakers in house are Selah Tempestas and a couple GR Research 2 way models.
Any comparisons to your other speakers?

bigbang

« Reply #51 on: 2 Jul 2013, 02:32 am »
Apples, bananas, and oranges!

Temepsta - all there, top to bottom, for better or worse. Good off axis dispersion.
Breeze - more of an "airy" feel to me. It's all there, just in a different presentation. Reminds me of the Salk HT2 TL without the weird off axis anomalies. If you like the voicing of the HT2TL or SS ST's, you need to give these a listen.
GRN2x - forward up top. Punchy mids (in a good way). Not quite as detailed as any of the above.
AV123 X-LS - VERY similar to the N2X but a little more laid back on top.

ligs

« Reply #52 on: 10 Jul 2013, 10:26 pm »
My impressions.

Raal tweeter: Best tweeter I ever heard. It makes you notice the brightness and veiling of your current tweeters.  It gives musical instruments a realism( piano, particularly) often obscured in typical speakers and is even better than several hard domes I have some experience with( JBL Titanium 035Tia and Infinity CMMD used in Perfect and Cascade series).

Nice spectral balance even when you listen in another room!

Nice organic bass: It has the warmth and definition of my Infinity Perfect 10.1(34 mm p-p) woofer, directly driven from amp and in sealed cabinet. You really don’t need subwoofer with these monitors.
No listening fatigue at all. I attribute this to low coloration (same as even response and low distortion?)

Overall, they really bring out the best in female vocals. I could not stop playing “A Woman’s Heart. A Decade On Blix Street Records”  Eve Cassidy, Alison Krauss and Emmylou Harris each sounds beautiful and distinctly different. Yes, the rendition of “Where Have All the Flowers Gone” is just exquisite.

I always like the sound of electrostatic speakers. I wish someone could develop a midrange ribbon to handle the all important 300-3000 Hz band (Bohlender Graebener has several planar drivers). This will bring the sound reproduction to the next level and add a little more realism and transparency to the range covered by the cone midwoofer.

R_burke

« Reply #53 on: 2 Aug 2013, 10:21 pm »
Knock Knock, who's got em and what do you think about em

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #54 on: 4 Aug 2013, 03:25 pm »
Knock Knock, who's got em and what do you think about em

Steve Clay from Audiogon has them currently but he left on a business trip and didn't send them out before he left.  Neekomax was supposed to get them next, but he had to bow out due to a move.  So the next on the list is coverto, and he should be getting them on his scheduled date.  We'll see if we can get Steve to post his impressions once he gets back.

8snaces

« Reply #55 on: 14 Aug 2013, 06:53 pm »
10 days later "crickets"

Please consider a Sundog tour - sealed version. :D :D :D

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #56 on: 15 Aug 2013, 02:05 am »
10 days later "crickets"

Please consider a Sundog tour - sealed version. :D :D :D

I doubt the Sundog would ever be on tour, though I'm sure you'd like that!!!

kbuzz3 (Doug) told me they just arrived today.  I'm sure he'll be setting them up very soon.

kbuzz3

« Reply #57 on: 6 Sep 2013, 07:19 pm »
I wanted to post a few thoughts on the breeze after giving it a whirl.  Please note that my reference is a very unconventional system so all comments must be seen/heard through that prism.  I also listen to all equipment with music I like, not audiophile approved stuff for the sake of it. So if you want comments on what jazz at the pawnshop, or what Patricia barber sounds like, this will not help you.

First thought is although I hate to admit it and would like to give some dramatic and mind blowing observation, I must say that my overall impression (what I hear) is pretty much the same  from that made in the prior posts.  So I wont comment on weight, build quality,  aesthetics etc.  All of which are exemplary.  A very well made product from the cabinet to the speaker posts

My first comment that the general sound of the breezes was the polar opposite of what I expected.  I thought I would be attacked by a new fangled hyper “audiophile” tweeter , which would love the sibilance and remind me of the  modern “sound” of many of the so called high end brands.  No! The Breeze presents a very smooth upper range with super detail but WITHOUTH harshness. IMO a very difficult tight rope to walk.  Cudos to the designer here, really well done.

Second, I was impressed with the bass impact.  Granted my room is very very small but the bass pressure, and physical presence was really really unexpected.  Note I am not talking about bass depth but this standmount conveys the feeling , weight and presence of bass not often found in smaller speakers. I have no idea of measurements but id say to about 40 +- these things give up nothing.  This is also surprising to me because my front ceiling is sloped, and generally my room reacts much better to sealed rather then ported speakers.

I cant same the treble bass blend is “seamless” but I don’t get the feeling that the music is disjointed as in some other products ive heard at many price points.  With that said the remarkable tweeter will let constantly remind you of how good it is.  This not a real negative just a subjective thought.

I am not an imaging or sound staging freak but I must note that the breeze gives this great sense of the recording room and physical placement of players/instruments(where the recording lets it).  A great example of this is the hd download of Zeppelin’s celebration day, where the drum kit is literally presented as if right in front of you and you hear the minute differences in sound which gives you spatial cues to let you know where each drum is –left to right.  OUTSATNDING –a great  showing here, and really makes listening to something like this fun.

So overall this is a really nice speaker which I would wholeheartedly recommend.  I cant tell you how it performs on solid state equipment and I don’t listen for depth of stage but this is remarkable tweeter and shows how technology really does help if utilized right.

Now a word of my system.   

SOURCE:
Vinyl:  Restored empire turntable with Soundsmith Zephyr cartridge/soundsmith phono pre amp. Digital: Sony PS 1 and or MAcbook>audiovarna>schidt modi dac with Audioquest usb
Power- restored vintage -“modded” Sherwood S5000 integrated
Speaker cabling Hudson Audio hybrid silver copper.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #58 on: 6 Sep 2013, 07:41 pm »
We've been waiting with bated breath for your impressions kbuzz, thank you for taking the time to share them!  And we're glad that you enjoyed the Breeze.  By any chance did you take pictures of them in your room?

roscoeiii

« Reply #59 on: 6 Sep 2013, 08:24 pm »
I thought I would be attacked by a new fangled hyper “audiophile” tweeter , which would love the sibilance and remind me of the  modern “sound” of many of the so called high end brands.  No! The Breeze presents a very smooth upper range with super detail but WITHOUTH harshness. IMO a very difficult tight rope to walk.  Cudos to the designer here, really well done.

+1. Well put.