PS4 vs Xbone

Rclark

Re: PS4 vs Xbone
« Reply #20 on: 1 Nov 2013, 08:32 am »
Yeah well look at the dates on those posts. Yeah, in just a matter of months they've backtracked on all that due to consumer backlash and getting slaughtered in preorder s by the ps4.

Get whatever you want  :) Maybe the Xbox One will have better synergy in your system than mine.

Woodsea

« Reply #21 on: 1 Nov 2013, 03:14 pm »
And preordered. I'll let you know how she runs  8)

Hoping I can use it as my file based music player as well.
So what do you think of the new announcement tht you will not be able to use it as a music player?

Rclark

« Reply #22 on: 1 Nov 2013, 05:31 pm »
Already have Music Unlimited running on my ps3, S4, and Tab 10.2. It is fabulous  :thumb: Can't wait to install ps4 version. Seriously, it sounds awesome. Bigger selection than Spotify. I woukd guess they have some enormous percentage of all music ever recorded at this point. 95%?

It's $60 a year and gives you instant access to far more mp3's than you could ever hope to steal.

Woodsea

« Reply #23 on: 1 Nov 2013, 06:35 pm »
$60 now narrows that $100 difference between the consoles to $40.  According to your calculations.

Rclark

« Reply #24 on: 1 Nov 2013, 11:33 pm »
That's fine, because, for gaming, the main purpose, the ps4 absolutely destroys the X1. No contest. I'm happy to pay for the music service,  I use it all day long, wherever I am, it's on hand.

In fact,  I consider $60 a year for such a massive, oceanic catalogue to be basically free. And I don't have to take up hdd space with files.

Had I not tried their 30 day free trial last month, and found out today I can't install files, I'd probably be upset, but no, this is way way better. Very high quality streaming as good as cd, anywhere on all my devices and the ps3/4, and tablet controllable. Win.

Woodsea

« Reply #25 on: 2 Nov 2013, 12:33 am »
RClark, how do you justify stating that the PS4 destroys the xbox one.  I have not read one article that states that fact.  What they do say is that if you have the latest Panasonic z60 and you are more than 10 feet away from the screen, you will not be able to discern between the two consoles.
Your raves about the PS4 border on mania, while the rants on the xbox teeter on foolishness. 
Both will be fine machines.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #26 on: 2 Nov 2013, 12:43 am »
But the largest question remains.....will either one of them have an analog out that I can feed my tube amp with.

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
« Reply #27 on: 2 Nov 2013, 12:47 am »
I personally think both units will be great and provide many with the enjoyment they are seeking but some will side with what they are use to.

That being said, I will be getting a PS4.

Best,
Matt

kingdeezie

« Reply #28 on: 2 Nov 2013, 03:06 am »
RClark, how do you justify stating that the PS4 destroys the xbox one.  I have not read one article that states that fact.  What they do say is that if you have the latest Panasonic z60 and you are more than 10 feet away from the screen, you will not be able to discern between the two consoles.
Your raves about the PS4 border on mania, while the rants on the xbox teeter on foolishness. 
Both will be fine machines.

This is completely untrue. Everything I have read, from publications that have actually played both versions of battlefield 4 side by side (and not just watched the horribly compressed youtube comparison videos) have stated the PS4 version is unequivocally the better looking version on both single player and multiplayer. The game runs at a higher resolution, with more activated effects, at a more stable frame rate. These are facts.

Graphics aside, Sony dominated Microsoft last generation with amazing quality exclusive games. From 2010-2013 Microsoft released only 12 exclusive games for core gamers. Sony released 56.

If the past has anything to say about the future, the place for games is the Playstation.

Rclark

« Reply #29 on: 2 Nov 2013, 04:16 am »
It absolutely destroys it and I can go into great detail as to why if you like. The x1 is a joke in comparison.  You are paying for kinect with all its sensors, pure and simple.  The ps4 is all hardware power.

proving so would be trivial.

Rclark

« Reply #30 on: 2 Nov 2013, 04:18 am »
But the largest question remains.....will either one of them have an analog out that I can feed my tube amp with.

yes, analogue out is provided by.. I forget which port but I'll get back to you  :)

gregcss

« Reply #31 on: 2 Nov 2013, 06:29 am »
As a Xbox live member since the first regular xbox - i must say that community is first. That said, I hear PS has a 1up on the online experience. Please discuss...

Woodsea

« Reply #32 on: 2 Nov 2013, 06:46 am »
It absolutely destroys it and I can go into great detail as to why if you like. The x1 is a joke in comparison.  You are paying for kinect with all its sensors, pure and simple.  The ps4 is all hardware power.

proving so would be trivial.
Proof is in the pudding.
60frames a second is all it takes for our eyes to see a difference.
720 vs 1080 is a completely different ball of wax.  Let's not speculate 4k, as both companies will put in smaller, cheaper, cooler hardware later on.
Here is the proof, and there is more to find if you look.  [url]http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/720p-vs-1080p-can-you-tell-the-difference-between-hdtv-resolutions//url]

Rclark

« Reply #33 on: 2 Nov 2013, 07:00 am »
Are you implying these consoles will output in 4k with a hardware refresh? Then I understand you don't really understand how the hardware works.

I promise you I'm not making it up. The ps4 is far, far more powerful.

Woodsea

« Reply #34 on: 2 Nov 2013, 07:06 am »
Wait, are you telling me that the PS4 cannot [url]http://www.computerandvideogames.com/436094/sony-4k-movie-support-under-consideration-for-ps4//url]
It is more powerful, I am not arguing that point,  I am telling you that it is not as important as you think is this first edition of the console. 
I must be slow, so please put in graphical points how much more powerful the PS4 is, I really don't understand "far, far"
Thanks

Rclark

« Reply #35 on: 2 Nov 2013, 07:08 am »
As a Xbox live member since the first regular xbox - i must say that community is first. That said, I hear PS has a 1up on the online experience. Please discuss...

Well for starters, you get a headset in the box, and a headset jack on the controller, so that shows they intend to take online more seriously.

As lead console now, for development, and as having the superior multiplatform titles, expect the online presence to grow rapidly. I know a lot of 360 guys jumping ship. $399 and 1080P Call of Duty with dedicated servers is quite a selling point to a lot of gamers.

Sony is moving its online infrastructure for Ps4 to a better server setup, they're renting better servers now for psn, and they have Gaikai for streaming, which set a world speed record, so, they're in great shape for online.

I never really played online with my ps3 because I couldn't ever find my bluetooth headset charger. Will go on, ine with ps4 from day 1.

Edit: think you might have been talking about PlayStation Plus. I belong to it. Nutshell, last year they gave $1000 worth of top tier games away, for $50 a year.

Day 1 on ps4 you get2 games.

When you sign up for PS+ it's their online service and free games.

On top of that, unlike Xbox, you don't have to be a ps+ member to use Netflix or any other service. MS makes you pay $60 a year to access anything,  Netflix, anything. And their free games suck. I've seen them.

Rclark

« Reply #36 on: 2 Nov 2013, 07:17 am »
Wait, are you telling me that the PS4 cannot [url]http://www.computerandvideogames.com/436094/sony-4k-movie-support-under-consideration-for-ps4//url]
It is more powerful, I am not arguing that point,  I am telling you that it is not as important as you think is this first edition of the console. 
I must be slow, so please put in graphical points how much more powerful the PS4 is, I really don't understand "far, far"
Thanks

The consoles will get hardware refreshes, as they always do, but it's only to save money, and on the silicon to save heat (and money). The performance never changes, only via firmware updates that affect every console. Often loaded onto games.

But a day 1 ps4 will have the same performance as the last one off the line. That's what differentiate s console from pc. It's a closed box.

On the power difference?

Microsoft bet the farm that nobody cares about graphics,  everyone wants "innovation" I.E., Kinect. They built a super hotrodded Kinect that costs, in their own words, as much as the console itself. It has an array of mics that can track all conversations in a room and focus on individual people. It can see in total darkness. With thermal vision. It can see the capillaries in your face. It can guage your mood, if you've had a beer. It can read your heartbeat from microvibrarions on your skin.

Ok? None of that is cheap. Sony only has a gaming console in the box. I can explain the differences  tommorrow if you want but just, I promise you, I will take a voluntary 6 month ban if there is ever an x1 version of anything that runs better than the ps4, and the slight difference between the two consoles last gen, this is nothing like that, the ps4 is head and shoulders more powerful for running games. A cold fact.

Rclark

« Reply #37 on: 2 Nov 2013, 07:39 am »

Bob, auxiliary output will be for analogue out. We all thought it would be digital only, and that's why I bought a dac, otherwise I'd be piping the ps4 into my optocoupler, but they've since come out and said analogue output would be supported.

So you're good  :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #38 on: 2 Nov 2013, 07:20 pm »
So game sizes are huge now. Picked up my reserved KZ Shadow Fall and it requires 45 GB. I remember when games came on CD.

Anyway you no longer have to sit through a massive install. Just learned that from the first moment you pop in a new game it's 2.5 minutes until you are playing it, which is impressive enough, bit each subsequent time after that, 15 seconds from insert disc to in game,  playing it. So fast!

So 500 gig s really isn't a problem when you realize never a 20-30 minute or longer install ever again. Erase if you need space, time is no longer an issue.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #39 on: 2 Nov 2013, 07:30 pm »
I used to play an airplane game on Commodore 64 that loaded via an external cassette deck.
It took about 45 minutes to load the game, each time you wanted to play it.  :o