Experimental pork butt

mcgsxr

Experimental pork butt
« on: 18 Nov 2016, 07:26 pm »
Temps here today will reach 19C (65F or so) and won't again for some time.

I decided to spontaenously start a 10lb pork butt smoking in my gas BBQ at 9am.

Could be a long night, but should be fun when it is done!

Q set to 250 or so.  On my 2nd of 3 smoke pouches and using indirect heat for the meat.

May transfer to oven in the house in 4 hours when it gets dark.  Will make it easier to use my meat thermometer to wake me when I need to get it out of the oven.

Good fun!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Experimental pork butt
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2016, 08:18 pm »
The internal temperature is going to STALL.

For HOURS...

Just ignore it; don't change anything..  :thumb:

What tunes are playing?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2016, 08:46 pm »
Sweet   :drool:....literally & figuratively.  :thumb:  My waistline hates you, and BISL, & ......    :wink:

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2016, 09:28 pm »
At 165 now.  Just wrapped in foil.  We will see how many more hours to hit 200 or so. 

Spun some Skynard to get the South in mind earlier. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2016, 02:53 pm »
So as an experiment, it was fun and I would do it again.  I may have learned a few things.

I believe (no shock) that the temp on my gas BBQ is not that accurate.  The 10lb butt cooked in about 12.5 hours, leading me to believe that it may have been 275 when I thought it was 250.  I would start early AM next time too.

I foiled at around 165, and removed the butt at 202.  An hour resting in foil and wrapped in a towel.

Moist meat, and some of it was really stringy when pulled.

I can see why folks do this!

A shot of the pork (I did it fat cap up, not sure if that is the way it is meant to be done) as I opened the foil and began to tear in.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2016, 03:55 pm »
mcgsxr,
looks good! I always do mine with the fat cap on top. I too found that the grill cannot be set to the temp I want and maintain it.
I usually do about the same size butt as you did. I do mine @225 degrees.. Usually about 12 hours. Stalls for about an hour and a half. I remove mine from the cooker when it reaches 190 degrees.
I don't foil mine. I do foil it when removing it from the cooker. Let it set for about an hour.

Looks like you are on the path to some righteous eats!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2016, 07:20 pm »
Sweet   :drool:....literally & figuratively.  :thumb:  My waistline hates you, and BISL, & ......    :wink:
Just to be fair, I'm smoking a pork tenderloin right now. Much healthier that butts.   :wink:

I can see why folks do this!
  8) Now you got the bug!

Just a couple things I'd like to throw out there....
"Fat cap up"....
Well, a butt is one of the fattiest cuts of pork there is. I "get" that when you smoke it with the fat on top, it's supposed to baste down through the meat, BUT... you can't eat that much fat so you're forced to throw it away. Problem is, you've now through away a huge amount of surface area that was your "bark".
Me, I trim away ALL of the fat. This way, all that bark goes in my tummy, not the trash can.

I capture the juices that drip off. When you're finished cooking, put the juices in a bowl in the fridge until the fat separates and rises to the top. Skim the fat off and discard. Save the remainder of the juices in ziplock bags in the freezer (stack them flat). You now have pork stock. When I make rice, I'll use these bags instead of water. If you really want to get crazy, you can inject this stock into the next piece of meat you smoke.
For extra points, in my drip pan, I'll put a couple cups of water, a few onions (peeled and quartered) some celery, maybe a jalapeno pepper, some red pepper flakes, and some of whatever I have in the fridge that looks appropriate. Then, after you've removed the fat (from the fridge) you run this mixture through the blender until the chunks are gone. You now have the most "supercharged pork stock" you can imagine.

For those of you that are using a gas/propane unit and want some smoke flavor, but don't want to deal with the wood in the foil thing, check this out:
https://www.amazenproducts.com/

That's enough for now, I need another beer and check the meat on my smoker.  :thumb:

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2016, 10:47 pm »
To me, that looks really good. 

Last year on December 31st, I set my ceramic charcoal grill to as low as I could get it, and then put in a pork butt at just before midnight.  When we woke up the next morning, it was still going at about 250.  I finished cooking it and we had it for lunch. 

I plan on doing something similar this year, except I'm going to sous vide the pork:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/food-lab-complete-guide-smoky-sous-vide-pork-shoulder.html

This way, I can sous vide the pork for a long time (18-24 hours) then just smoke it for two.

mav52

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2016, 11:03 pm »
Never tried a pork butt on a gas grill sounds interesting.   I've always cooked my butts either on my Lang smoker with (wood) or a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain (charcoal) and apple and peach.   

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2016, 11:58 pm »
Never tried a pork butt on a gas grill sounds interesting.   I've always cooked my butts either on my Lang smoker with (wood) or a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain (charcoal) and apple and peach.
I'm using the 22.5" WSM..... but would give my left ___ for a Lang.   :wink:

Syrah

« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2016, 12:31 am »
I've just set up my new (well, used) VPI Aries 3 with a 12" 3d arm sitting on Stillpoints SS.  Hot damn.  Meanwhile, a pork butt sits in my fridge that I bought yesterday.

I'm thinking, give it a full rub down, poke some holes in it with a Jacquard, and give it a couple of days.  Then, Big Green Egg that sucker.  200ish degrees, 8 hours.

I have a nasty headache today.  But hey, Aries 3, pork butt.  Life is good.

mav52

« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2016, 12:33 pm »
I've just set up my new (well, used) VPI Aries 3 with a 12" 3d arm sitting on Stillpoints SS.  Hot damn.  Meanwhile, a pork butt sits in my fridge that I bought yesterday.

I'm thinking, give it a full rub down, poke some holes in it with a Jacquard, and give it a couple of days.  Then, Big Green Egg that sucker.  200ish degrees, 8 hours.

I have a nasty headache today.  But hey, Aries 3, pork butt.  Life is good.

Remember nothing matters more than a nice frosty beverage while the cooking process takes place  :beer:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2016, 01:01 pm »
Remember nothing matters more than a nice frosty beverage while the cooking process takes place  :beer:
Amen Brother.  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2016, 01:52 pm »
I have a 22.5 Weber too.  It was the expected length of time that the cook would take that had me figuring my gas grill would be easier to use for my first run at it.

Some summer day I will give it a run in the charcoal grill.

I would do this again with - a smaller piece (10lbs overkill for my family), more prep (overnight rub etc), I would likely not tinfoil until after cooking, and more patience!

It turned out decent, but I know that is not hard.  Getting it great takes more practice.  I don't own a proper smoker, but do enjoy smoking stuff in either Q.

That Amazin smoking tube looks good.  $121 on Amazon.ca though!  Tinfoil pouches (which I have used for years smoking whole chickens on my Weber charcoal) work fine for now.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2016, 02:00 pm »
$121 !?!?!?!?  :o  :nono:
I paid like $20.
What's up with that?

You can do a butt hot and fast without a problem as well.
A ten pounder can also be cut in half if you're in a hurry.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2016, 02:03 pm »

mav52

« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2016, 03:34 pm »
For those with Weber Smokey Mountains here is a simple item that will increase your cook times and hold that smoke in your smoker.   WSM Gasket Kit, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 /  22.5 Nomex RTV grill gasket seal

Man it works

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CI6WFCU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_15?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A262TPPYXMWGNT

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2016, 03:37 pm »
That's a good idea.
For cold climates and/or windy climates, they also make a "blanket" to wrap it in, much like a water heater blanket.

mcgsxr

« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2016, 05:01 pm »
Found a 12 inch Amazen in Canada for $56 delivered.  Merry Christmas to me!  Thanks BISL!   :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2016, 06:19 pm »
Found a 12 inch Amazen in Canada for $56 delivered.  Merry Christmas to me!  Thanks BISL!   :thumb:
That's a *little* better, but still a bit pricey. You're very welcome Sir!  :thumb:
I've had mine for a few months, but still haven't used it. I bought it when we use our little portable gas grill, not my daily WSM.