The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

gregeas

Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #220 on: 26 Jan 2010, 05:30 pm »
Anyone know what the warranty is for the Tranquility DAC? Can't find any information on the website about this.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #221 on: 26 Jan 2010, 05:56 pm »
Sure wish there was someway to hook up my music server a Logitech SB3  with digital coax cable out to the tranquility. Unless I can find a way I'm out of luck getting a Tranquility DAC. Too bad there isn't some kind of adapter that would do the job.

Cheers
                                              Charlie

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #222 on: 26 Jan 2010, 06:52 pm »
Has this review turned into some kind of product support thread? :scratch:

brj

« Reply #223 on: 26 Jan 2010, 07:06 pm »
Guys, this thread has been quite good so far, but please try to keep things polite and relatively on-topic.  Some veering off course is expected and tolerated, but let's try not to get too far off into the weeds.

In addition, discussions of relative business practices between vendors starts to get a bit dicey.  Comments on sales and support interactions with a vendor are entirely welcome as part of a review, whether those experiences are good or bad.  That said, AC does have a no dirty laundry policy, so please be respectful and especially on-point with such comments so we don't have to prune the thread.

Also, please keep in mind that this is a review thread and thus open to everyone, including all manufacturers.  Part of what makes AC unique is that manufacturers are willing to respond to AC member's questions on an open forum.  That said, I generally suggest that manufacturers focus on answering member questions and describing only their own products, and specifically avoid commenting on or comparing against other manufacturers components.

Thanks!

Co-facilitator of the Critic's Circles

davek

« Reply #224 on: 26 Jan 2010, 08:12 pm »
Anyone know what the warranty is for the Tranquility DAC? Can't find any information on the website about this.

On the spec page at the bottom:

"Three year unlimited warranty, fully transferable."

gregeas

« Reply #225 on: 26 Jan 2010, 08:14 pm »

Ah, thanks. Just got the same word from Eric. No complaints.

- Greg

trianglezerius

« Reply #226 on: 26 Jan 2010, 08:52 pm »

I looked at their website today and saw the warranty after I read that post. Sure gives a person piece of mind it's taken care of for the first 3 years.  :)
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2010, 06:35 pm by trianglezerius »

trianglezerius

« Reply #227 on: 27 Jan 2010, 11:49 am »
I'm new to the game here...and don't have time to read the entire thread, but I feel quite strongly about adding my two cents.

I heard this DAC fed by Hider's MacMini through a very carefully constructed high-end rig, which I can get specifics on if anyone cares...but I've enjoyed this system before, mostly with vinyl.

I knew I was going to hear something new, but didn't have the specifics. After some time setting up, which I didn't care to see...Hider can be very particular about his procedures and there was good beer to drink and conversation to be had in the next room...we finally commenced to listening.

It wasn't blind, with either or both eyes (heh), but my initial reaction was palatable.

I simply couldn't believe it was coming from the computer. Even though it was right in front of me, it was tough to believe the fluidity and decay and staging width and depth were from iTunes fed through USB. I couldn't reconcile what I was hearing with what I saw.

This was a paradigm change for me, but I've not kept up on computer audio...like the old Home Theater PC pioneering days, every demo was a disappointment...until this one.

Next time Eric is through Detroit, we can setup a demo using some recordings I've done live...and we can also play with my MIT Z-box and cables (thanks for that report, btw, killer experimenting) and a few other line conditioners that I've grown very fond of over the years. I would be curious to hear comparisons to competing product, and then we can do the double-confusion testing.

So, in short...this thing holds promise. It has me excited over computer handling of music now, and that is a HUGE deal to me.

Cheers,
John

P.S.: In full disclosure, I've known Eric for over ten years...since I met him through a very early ISF calibration on his Sony RP Television...and consider him a man of high integrity, honesty, and good intent. He's been turning me onto cheap tweaks and such for high-end gear seemingly forever, but this device is absolutely the most groundbreaking item he's ever brought to my attention. It is as if his quest for perfection is closer to completion, and if you knew the guy like I do...that is the largest compliment I can make to him. He is one of the most fastidiously detail-oriented people I've ever met...and almost NEVER obviously happy. With this product, he is obviously pleased, and seems eager to share it.

WOW...I can't  believe this! It's John Gannon, who used to be a Stereophile reviewer, chimed in with a positive post about the Tranquility DAC. :banana piano:
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2010, 06:28 pm by trianglezerius »

Newk Yuler

« Reply #228 on: 1 Feb 2010, 02:54 am »
Eric...

I'm a prospective customer that will wait until you introduce a model with SPDIF and perhaps I2S inputs.  Do you have an idea for a time line on the SPDIF version?  Will you use RCA or BNC (or both)?  If you implement I2S as an input, what connection format would you use?  (Such as the Empirical Audio RJ45 or PS Audio HDMI formats.)  It would be nice if manufacturers would get around to a standard on I2S interconnects.

- Rand

srb

« Reply #229 on: 1 Feb 2010, 03:06 am »
Eric...

I'm a prospective customer that will wait until you introduce a model with SPDIF and perhaps I2S inputs.  Do you have an idea for a time line on the SPDIF version?  Will you use RCA or BNC (or both)?  If you implement I2S as an input, what connection format would you use?  (Such as the Empirical Audio RJ45 or PS Audio HDMI formats.)  It would be nice if manufacturers would get around to a standard on I2S interconnects.

From page 5 of this thread:

We have been working our "R & D tails off" attempting to develop a SPDIF connectable dac that comes close or equals the sonics of our Tranquility USB dac. As Newzooreview correctly pointed out, SPDIF is a mess when compared to a USB dac (done right). SPDIF pales in comparison to a USB connection, how it elegantly transfers it's data and the error corrected bit perfect sound that a computer offers us. Jitter is on so many more nodes throughout the SPDIF process too, it's not even funny. We like to call SPDIF "an ugly tangled mess". With the SPDIF format, you end up "interleaving" the clock signal with the digital music signal. ARGH! It then has to be all "untangled". USB is elegantly simple without this "tangled mess" comparably.

We are still quite surprised that the audio reviewer community still does not seem to understand this basic principal regarding how SPDIF can't really hold a candle to USB done right. Unless perhaps you use Esoteric's $15,000 Rubidium clock "fixer", and even then, it is NOT a better interface even with $15K "fixer" when compared to a USB solution done correctly! Of course, not every USB dac is "done right" either. And then there's the overtly simplistic idea of comparing the different inputs on a dac that has both USB and SPDIF connections. Multiple digital inputs affect each other negatively. Each one has to be optimized to sound great. And you can NOT achieve multiple different digital inputs that all sound great without a huge cost to the consumer. Each digital input circuit would need to be separated from the other with tons of costly circuitry. Otherwise, the USB input on a multiple input dac can sound abysmal. Is this why so many audiophiles and reviewers think SPDIF is superior?

Ever wonder why the Tranquility dac has only one solitary USB digital input? Now you know  aa

So, where do we personally stand on our upcoming SPDIF dac? We are still in the R & D phase. We have many more challenges to properly address all of SPDIF's inherent weaknesses but we are finding some promising results. There are some new IC's that we are testing along with some newfound proprietary optimizations that we discovered. In the end though, we will NOT release a SPDIF dac until we can find the same elusive analog like harmonic structure we found for the Tranquility USB dac design. Look for an upcoming announcement regarding our SPDIF dac late this winter. Sorry we can't give a firm timeline here. We will not offer another "typical sounding" SPDIF dac. It will have to be special.

Steve

Newk Yuler

« Reply #230 on: 1 Feb 2010, 06:53 am »
From page 5 of this thread:

I remember much of that which is why I mentioned I was a(nother) person holding out for that model.  I would be very happy to skip SPDIF and USB and connect by I2S compatible with the Empirical Audio port.  I2S input would skip the problems inherent to both USB and SPDIF.  I understand that Tranquility is a complete solution with USB - I'm one in a minority that wants the fine aspects of that design minus the USB.

Rapt

« Reply #231 on: 2 Feb 2010, 02:28 am »
Did anybody compare the tranquility dac with an ayre qb-9 dac, definately interested in the usb route??

Rapt

« Reply #232 on: 2 Feb 2010, 02:38 am »
I'm thinking of getting the Tranquility in for a trial.  It's in my price range and seems like a promising DAC for a computer music server I'm building.  The DAC being the last piece of the puzzle.  So far I have auditioned at home a Metric Halo ULN2 and the Ayre QB9 and I do like the QB9 the most so far.  I also have a temporary DAC, the HRT Streamer, which will go to a family room system once I finalize the DAC for this system.

I'm curious if anyone reading this thread has compared the Tranquility to the Ayre.  Or knows of someone who has.  I'm interested in what the differences are.  Not necessarily which was better, but how are they different, how are they similar.

Bryan

Bryan, please keep us posted if you get the tranquility for a comparison  :thumb:

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #233 on: 2 Feb 2010, 04:00 am »
Hey guys,

Some have asked if an engineer named Larry Moore is working with db Audio Labs. The answer is yes, he is one of our contract for hire designers that we chose for the Tranquility design. His design expertise in digital was proven to me and our staff by his prior work on his own company’s Ultra-fi “iRoc” and “Musicstream” DAC designs.

Personally, I've known Larry for about five years now. In the past, I’ve helped him get published online, with a reviewer’s digital Q & A blog on the net. I’ve also spoken highly of Ultra-fi products along with many other Ultra-fi customers alike. However, I’ve never worked for Ultra-fi, been paid in any way nor have I profited from the sale of an Ultra-fi product.

A little over a year ago, Larry told me that he was having major difficulties with a customer who wanted a refund after an agreed audition period. That customer had subsequently threatened Larry, called many of his prior Ultra-fi customers, called a reviewer, and even called one of Larry's neighbors telling them; Larry is a shady guy. I offered to be a Good Will Ambassador between this customer and Larry to see if I could smooth things over. I contacted the guy and he told me straight up - “I am going to make it my mission in life to ruin Larry Moore”. I didn’t take sides in this matter, as I figured he just needed to get rid of some built up steam. Weeks later, I helped him find a new home for his Ultra-fi dac. His dac got sold. He got the money. The new owner of the Ultra-fi dac is a very happy customer.

What did I get for being a Good Will Ambassador to this guy? He posted a venomous thread on another forum throwing anyone and everyone under the bus. That thread got locked down almost immediately. No one can say anything to refute the guy’s posted rants. So, dear readers, there is one solitary pissed off customer, that bought an Ultra-fi product from Larry Moore. I attempted to be a Good Will Ambassador and helped him. His dac is now sold. And his rants are locked in infamy.

As a final note, db Audio Labs' contracted designers have no say in our customer relation policies. We strive to offer a level of customer satisfaction that is beyond reproach! Excellent customer support and service are our top priorities!  :thumb:

Cheers,

Eric H

pardales

« Reply #234 on: 2 Feb 2010, 04:39 am »
I have had the dB Tranquility in my system now for almost one month. Like other NOS DAC's I have owned (Altmann, Audiosector) it has that whole, organic, nicely balanced, and very easy to listen to character. The Tranquility punches lower and sparkles higher though, than I recollect either of my previous NOS DAC's doing; though it has been some time since I owned either of these. It presents a clear window on recordings without being brutal and offers very nice sound-staging and imaging.

Very high quality sound comes from the Tranquility. It has a smooth, liquid midrange. I am fine with its 16/44.1 spec as that is what all 320 GB of lossless my music are. I have a track record of liking the NOS sound.

Instruments sound like they should (in my experience) as does the human voice, through the Tranquility. Whether it was break-in, warming up, or just me getting used to the sound, I did enjoy the DAC more after a couple hundred hours. I have had some other USB DAC's (Beresford 7520 & Caiman, Valab) in my system and always preferred the S/PDIF input to the USB. The Tranquility DAC seems to get USB right.

Eric has been a pleasure to deal with and has offered many good tips on optimizing  computer set-up for quality sound. This is a fine DAC that, if it fits your system needs, you should not hesitate to demo. I think the only way to know is to try things out in your own system/room. As always, YMMV and system synergy and personal taste are everything.

Christof

« Reply #235 on: 2 Feb 2010, 04:53 am »
Hey guys,

Some have asked if an engineer named Larry Moore is working with db Audio Labs. The answer is yes, he is one of our contract for hire designers that we chose for the Tranquility design. His design expertise in digital was proven to me and our staff by his prior work on his own company’s Ultra-fi “iRoc” and “Musicstream” DAC designs.

Personally, I've known Larry for about five years now. In the past, I’ve helped him get published online, with a reviewer’s digital Q & A blog on the net. I’ve also spoken highly of Ultra-fi products along with many other Ultra-fi customers alike. However, I’ve never worked for Ultra-fi, been paid in any way nor have I profited from the sale of an Ultra-fi product.

A little over a year ago, Larry told me that he was having major difficulties with a customer who wanted a refund after an agreed audition period. That customer had subsequently threatened Larry, called many of his prior Ultra-fi customers, called a reviewer, and even called one of Larry's neighbors telling them; Larry is a shady guy. I offered to be a Good Will Ambassador between this customer and Larry to see if I could smooth things over. I contacted the guy and he told me straight up - “I am going to make it my mission in life to ruin Larry Moore”. I didn’t take sides in this matter, as I figured he just needed to get rid of some built up steam. Weeks later, I helped him find a new home for his Ultra-fi dac. His dac got sold. He got the money. The new owner of the Ultra-fi dac is a very happy customer.

What did I get for being a Good Will Ambassador to this guy? He posted a venomous thread on another forum throwing anyone and everyone under the bus. That thread got locked down almost immediately. No one can say anything to refute the guy’s posted rants. So, dear readers, there is one solitary pissed off customer, that bought an Ultra-fi product from Larry Moore. I attempted to be a Good Will Ambassador and helped him. His dac is now sold. And his rants are locked in infamy.

As a final note, db Audio Labs' contracted designers have no say in our customer relation policies. We strive to offer a level of customer satisfaction that is beyond reproach! Excellent customer support and service are our top priorities!  :thumb:

Cheers,

Eric H

FWIW...I purchased a custom DAC from Larry Moore about 5-6 months ago.  I have nothing but good things to say about both him and his engineering.  I was a bit concerned regarding the future service/support of an expensive one-off piece of equipment but after speaking with Larry I'm very confident that he stands behind anything he design/builds.  I'm not sure how things transpired with the reviewer but I witnessed not a hint of bad mojo from Larry and my DAC kicks serious ass.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #236 on: 2 Feb 2010, 05:05 am »
Hey guys,

Cheers,

Eric H
Eric, no worries from me.  I have an arch nemesis that has plagued me on several forums.  I was successful (with some other, really pissed off people) in getting him banned from that forum.  He has a vendetta against me and everything that I say, do, design, sell or even think of comes straight from Satan according to him.  I lie, cheat, steal, exaggerate, and eat small children.  There is one in every bunch that just HAS to have a contract out on anyone that either disagrees with, or in some way feels slighted by, someone else.

Bottom line is this: what goes around comes around and he will reap what he sows.  I don't think that there is anyone here that will let someone with an axe to grind "scare them off" of what I think is a great product.  I have spoken to several people that have your DAC and everyone has only the higest compliments to pay about the sound and your business policies.

I'm still saving some shekels and will be buying a Tranquility DAC with no reservations as soon as I can.  It sounds EXCELLENT!  So, worry not.  Feed 'em fish heads and move on.

:wave:

Dave

wilsynet

« Reply #237 on: 2 Feb 2010, 02:48 pm »
Eric, thanks for responding in such a frank and transparent way.  Not that you need my endorsement of course, but given your openness here and your description of circumstances, I would have no hesitation buying from dB Audio Labs.

Having said that, I don't know if I agree with your take on the UltraFi unsatisfied customer, but I do understand that these things are rarely black and white.  Of course that has very little to do with dB Audio Labs today.

gregeas

« Reply #238 on: 3 Feb 2010, 12:48 pm »
I got my Tranquility DAC on Friday and have been burning it in since then. Unfortunately I'll be travelling for the next 10 days, but when I return I will compare the Tranquility to my Pico DAC, Benchmark DAC1 Pre, and my Oppo BDP-83 SE. Eric was *very* helpful during the purchase process -- probably the best customer service I've had with audio gear.

mr_bill

« Reply #239 on: 3 Feb 2010, 04:22 pm »
Now that will be a great comparison - keep us posted!

I got my Tranquility DAC on Friday and have been burning it in since then. Unfortunately I'll be travelling for the next 10 days, but when I return I will compare the Tranquility to my Pico DAC, Benchmark DAC1 Pre, and my Oppo BDP-83 SE. Eric was *very* helpful during the purchase process -- probably the best customer service I've had with audio gear.