Overpowered Xbox=FIXED

Woodsea

Overpowered Xbox=FIXED
« on: 30 Sep 2005, 12:42 am »
I am a dumbass.  As you can imagine, Mongolia is not 110v, but 220.  As I was trying to clean up some of the clutter, I inadverantly plugged in the x-box into a 220 socket.  Lots of smoke but no flames, and a heart wrenching sound later, I have a dead x-box.
It was not powered on, so I am hoping that just the power supply was fried and not the motherboard.
My inquiries are, do you think it is only my power supply that is cooked?
And do you think it is possible to put in a multi-voltage power supply?
This just sucks.  Any leads would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2007, 09:09 pm by Woodsea »

Bemopti123

Overpowered Xbox
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2005, 01:22 am »
Not all parts of the box are fried, but with the fact that the current box is about to be phased out, unless someone can look at it and attempt to fix it for a minimal or for no fee, it might not be worthwhile to fix it.... But then, it might simply be one simple board or component....Getting the parts, if they are proprietary might be the tricky part.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Overpowered Xbox
« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2005, 02:52 am »
The XBox may have sensitive components too close to the power supply. But I have replaced a few bad power supplies in PCs . Still I did not plug them into 220. I would try to find a cheap used XBox - they should be available these days. You can always try to repair the old one with parts if you find 2 cheap ones.

nathanm

Overpowered Xbox
« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2005, 03:51 am »
If it makes you feel any better (not likely) mine just recently decided to stop working too.  Not even doing anything important, just sitting there paused with corrupt pixels all over the screen.  Never booted up since.  I think it's a programmed failure just to get us to buy the new version. :P  I wish I had done something more drastic to make it fail, your story is way more interesting.  Smoke is always good.  Catastrophic failure is much more exciting than some lame software glitch.

Woodsea

Overpowered Xbox
« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2005, 04:15 am »
This is a great excuse for the Mrs. on getting the new one!!!!
I guess I will just play around with it, and try a new power supply.  
I am really busy giving flu shots, and getting ready for our R&R in the States.
 Thanks for all the replies.....just sucks since I had quite a few (50) games on the harddrive, plus music.

Bemopti123

Overpowered Xbox
« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2005, 01:15 pm »
While wandering around game websites, I stumbled across this store.  All the parts you need to repair a dead Xbox, now, the problem is which components went crisp?

http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?nav=left_top&category=53&

I am sure there are schematics or exploded views of the Xbox somewhere.

jqp

• Volunteer
Overpowered Xbox
« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2005, 03:10 pm »
I saw a winning bid on ebay for $86 including some games

Woodsea

Overpowered Xbox
« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2005, 11:33 pm »
Thanks guys.  I may just bring the box back to the States with me, this wednesday.

Woodsea

Re: Overpowered Xbox
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2007, 09:09 pm »
Well, I finally got around to ordering a new power supply, and after the first try I am gaming again.    Now I am searching out how I can get a linux and a browser to run on it.
 :thumb:

jqp

• Volunteer
Re: Overpowered Xbox=FIXED
« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2007, 09:14 pm »
Wow thats great. This is the black XBox - are you going to go online with it?

Woodsea

Re: Overpowered Xbox=FIXED
« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2007, 10:24 pm »
Yeah, I figure it would be nice to be able to browse with my new tv, if I get bored with regular programming.  Right now, my kids and I can't get enough.  Being in Asia, took us away from all the good programs, usually 1-2 seasons behind if we got it.
I am glad I have not upgraded to the 360 again, but I can sure tell the difference between my sold 360 and recently revived original. 
Rumors tell us April for the 120gb hd and HDMI version (Zephyr).