dbpoweramp pro and Teac drive for ripping

a1p1

Re: dbpoweramp pro and Teac drive for ripping
« Reply #100 on: 5 Feb 2010, 07:56 pm »
That's really too bad.  I ordered one as well, but it has not yet arrived.  Please post if you get any new info.

AP

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #101 on: 7 Feb 2010, 07:41 pm »
Yep, got the same thing. Seems to work OK, so I'm keeping mine. Deception on the Internet, whodathunkit.
Chris H.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #102 on: 7 Feb 2010, 07:49 pm »
WOW, really.  Overstock says its a mistaken shipment on their part and issued an RMA and prepaid ship, etc.  You say I'm getting the same thing next time??  Argh!

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #103 on: 7 Feb 2010, 08:09 pm »
I'd go even money on that bet.

a1p1

« Reply #104 on: 7 Feb 2010, 08:13 pm »
Rec'd mine.  It's a Panasonic.  Boxed up for return. 

dmatt

« Reply #105 on: 8 Feb 2010, 12:55 am »
I have a 'Teac' drive on order from Overstock.com as well. 

But just to have a back-up, I also just ordered a new (with box damage) Samsung SE-S084B like Scotty purchased from Amazon warehouse for $46.99.

firedog

« Reply #106 on: 13 Feb 2010, 01:27 pm »
The drive in question is the Teac DW-224DL.

But I've read the model has just gone "end of life", so it will be very hard to find.

Instead of that model what's important is to find a drive that can work with C2 pointers. Then you can use dbpoweramp/secure mode and accuraterip to get the best rips.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2010, 03:26 pm by firedog »

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #107 on: 13 Feb 2010, 02:14 pm »
The drive in question is the Teac DW-224DL.

But I've read the model has just gone "end of life", so it will be very hard to find.

Instead of that model what's important is to find a drive that can work with C2 pointers. Then you can use dbpoweramp and accuraterip to get the best rips.

Yes, the fact that it's hard to find is exactly why we jumped on these refurbs from Overstock.  Seems they are bogus, however.  I get my second one on Mon-Tues and will report back.

And yes, C2 pointers are somewhat mandatory.  I've always made sure my rippers have them (my Atapi in my current Dell minitower does).  I've added to Accuraterip more than once in the past few weeks.  :)  Offsets are nice to know, too.

firedog

« Reply #108 on: 13 Feb 2010, 03:25 pm »
And yes, C2 pointers are somewhat mandatory.  I've always made sure my rippers have them (my Atapi in my current Dell minitower does).  I've added to Accuraterip more than once in the past few weeks.  :)  Offsets are nice to know, too.

BTW, how do we know if a device actually deals with C2 pointers? It doesn't seem to be something listed in the specs for most drives.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #109 on: 13 Feb 2010, 04:19 pm »
BTW, how do we know if a device actually deals with C2 pointers? It doesn't seem to be something listed in the specs for most drives.

Agreed, but most reviews will mention C2 capability, or check with the EAC's and other ripping forums.  If you find a drive you want just google it "with C2".

dmatt

« Reply #110 on: 13 Feb 2010, 09:33 pm »
My two drives came in the mail Friday.

The TEAC drive from Overstock is the same Matsushita generic that Ted received.  I'm not impressed with the build quality, it's going back.

The Samsung (same as Scotty) I purchased from Amazon Warehouse is a nice unit.  The box was damaged (as listed) but the drive is new and unscathed.  It is much more solid than the Overstock unit and I verified it has C2 capability.  Not the TEAC we were looking for, it appears it will do all that a secure rip requires.  I recommend it for the $46.99 I paid.

No affiliation with Amazon Warehouse, Overstock.com, Samsung, TEAC, Ted, or Scotty.

Back to ripping.

David

Newk Yuler

« Reply #111 on: 13 Feb 2010, 09:55 pm »
The Teac DW224SL drive (external case included) is still easily available from China through eBay.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #112 on: 14 Feb 2010, 07:50 am »
The Teac DW224SL drive (external case included) is still easily available from China through eBay.

Gotta link to that statement as I'm not easily finding it? Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

Newk Yuler

« Reply #113 on: 14 Feb 2010, 09:02 am »

Gotta link to that statement as I'm not easily finding it? Thanks.

Glad to help.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/__dw-224sl

TomW16

« Reply #114 on: 15 Feb 2010, 05:40 am »
Thank you for the link.  I just purchased a TEAC drive.   :thumb:

firedog

« Reply #115 on: 15 Feb 2010, 07:22 am »
Aren't those ebay links sort of suspicious? Several different links with different prices, and all look like they are actually from the same supplier.

Newk Yuler

« Reply #116 on: 15 Feb 2010, 08:24 am »
Aren't those ebay links sort of suspicious? Several different links with different prices, and all look like they are actually from the same supplier.

It does seem a little odd but it was like that back when this thread was new.   The auction page for my purchase was at least very similar to those on eBay from China right now, perhaps no different and I simply don't remember.  I received the correct Teac drive in apparently new condition.

scp2

« Reply #117 on: 15 Feb 2010, 01:03 pm »
Thank you for the link.  I just purchased a TEAC drive.   :thumb:

Tom

Let us know how the sale goes.

TomW16

« Reply #118 on: 15 Feb 2010, 02:59 pm »
Tom

Let us know how the sale goes.

I certainly will.  I received a response from the seller that it is the Chinese New Year so the drive will only ship on Feb 21st.

Cheers,
Tom

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #119 on: 15 Feb 2010, 06:12 pm »
My Overstock replacement drive arrived...drum roll please.....same frickin Matshita UJDA 740.  I sent them a nasty gram about fraud.  What a waste of time.