Custom fit IEM.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Custom fit IEM.
« on: 6 Mar 2013, 01:06 pm »
So I just picked up some Etymotic ER-4PT earphones. Has anyone gone with the custom fit earmold process?
I am thinking about it and wanted to get some opinions..will be using for running, yard work ect.....
btw been using these with a SanDisk Sansa Clip+.  Sounds pretty good..well to me anyway :green:

joeling39

Re: Custom fit IEM.
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2013, 02:40 pm »
Custom fit IEM is the next step to go for an upgrade. However, a custom fit will block out a lot of ambient sound / noise. Please make sure it is safe for the application u intend for.

Regards,
Joe Ling

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2013, 02:56 pm »
Are you thinking about getting your ER-4PT driver(s) put into a custom in-ear monitor or would you get a new CIEM?

Bob2

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2013, 03:17 pm »
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2016, 02:11 pm by Bob2 »

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2013, 03:48 pm »
The cost to have an audiologist make your impressions will cost ~$75.  Many custom in-ear monitor manufacturers have, on their websites, lists of audiologists around the country that can take the impressions for you.  I have not seen a custom in-ear monitor being sold that costs as little as what Etymotic is offering.  However, if you are willing to spend more many possibilities open up to you.  I am a huge proponent of in-ear monitors so I'd love to help you make the best decision for you. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:33 pm »
I got lucky and found an audiologist who did my molds for $12 (that's right, you heard right, TWELVE dollars). Final tips were $65+ $10/s/h with the Ety voucher. Ety doesn't actually make the molds; they work with a couple of labs that do it.

J Payton

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:47 pm »
My daughter is an Audiologist and she bought me a pair of Westone 4R with custom molds. She gets special pricing from Westone. Her total cost for the custom ear pieces and headphones was only $200. I think the msrp of the Westones is $499 plus cost of molds and the ear pieces. Just like all audio a lot of mark up for marketing and profit taking. Anyway I love the custom ear plugs. As stated earlier they definitely cut out all ambient noises.

JP

Bob2

« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar 2013, 06:10 pm »

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2013, 06:19 pm »
I was skeptical about the quality of the impressions for ~$20.  It's great to hear that it can be done well.  Thank you for that information. 

Personally, I think moving to a CIEM will improve the performance of the ER-4PT but it will certainly cost more coin.  I can't suggest Alclair enough for their customer service, price, and knowledge in the hearing aid community, plastics, and balanced armature world.

Bob2

« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2013, 12:46 am »

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2013, 01:18 am »
I was thinking the impressions would be pricy, $12 bucks? That's cool!
I don't mind the additional costs if it is worthwhile.

I used some Shure monitors when I was playing drums. Always liked them but they are recently deceased.
That is why I bought the ER-4PT's.

Hoping to get a bit more feedback. If I hear mostly positive then I will proceed. Probably have to wait till my classes end so I can take the time off for the impressions.

Thanks everyone!
Bob2
Gotta shop around, the prices I was quoted varied wildly. I paid more for my haircut the day before. The highest price I was quoted was like ~$180 just for the impressions. I figured WTF, if it didn't work out, all I would be out was twelve bucks. The molds worked fine though. Ety told me ~$150 was usual; I was a little more than half that thanks to the cheap impressions.

Most of the audiologists I called- all of which I found on Ety's list- were completely unfamililar with the program. I got the cheap impressions and sent them to the lab myself.