looking for new headphones

brooklyn

looking for new headphones
« on: 1 Feb 2013, 06:57 pm »
Hi everyone,  I’ve been doing some investigating lately into getting some new headphones. I been to Best Buy to listen to some of there stuff but didn’t like what they had out for audition.

I have an older pair of AKG 240 headphones that I use when I play my electronic drums, there very comfortable and work well for that application.

I’m now looking for something for music to listen with my Mac Mini, depending on the headphones I get will determined if I will also need an amp to go with them.

I’ve been considering the AKG K702 but after much reading I’m still not sure. I see on Amazon I can get them for under $300.00 which would be my budget for the headphones alone.

My 2 channel audio system includes Magnepan MMG’s so I’m looking for a similar sound in headphones in my price range with none of that (bass boom) I've heard lately. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jerry

adydula

• Restricted
Re: looking for new headphones
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2013, 07:56 pm »
I had the 702's sold then awhile back and have a set of Q701's and they sound identical to the 702's and are less expensive...the most comfortable cans I ever have had...also have Grados. LCD2's, AKG s etc,,,,if you want the maggie sound, had a set of them as well for 2 ch the AKG's are it.

Alex

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2013, 10:07 pm »
I would certainly encourage you to take Alex's suggestion on the Qs, as they are typically regarded as some of the best headphones at their price point.

Oddly enough, I've posted pretty extensively about the parallels between Magnepan and Grado. As with Maggie MMGs several years ago, when I first heard the Grados (SR80i) I just knew they were for me and I fell in love. I've since bought the 325is, 500s, and GS1000is. I'm pretty smitten with the sound, to say the least. They are very detailed like the Maggies, they have a beautiful midrange, and the low end is very clean. Even though the technology is different, they offer me the same realism and organic quality that I love about Maggies. How they do that, I have no idea....but they do. Both are smaller family owned, American-based companies with a rich heritage and a loyal following, which I've also found interesting.

Something else to consider....when I started off with headphones, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the RIGHT pair of headphones for me. I had someone offer me some excellent advice to consider more than one pair, and that's exactly what I did. I have found that I very much prefer owning several pairs, not only for different sound signatures but also for different uses. My approach was to purchase a pair of less expensive phones from a few of the companies I was most interested in and then when I had a better idea of what I liked I would get somethign higher up in the line. That may or may not be the best approach for you, but I would definitely consider at least auditioning a few different pairs in order to see what you like best.

Good luck!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2013, 10:16 pm »
I think that something from the Grado line will give you more of what you're after. 
The 701s struck me as being something that would shine in a recording studio but not so much for home audio.

Wasatch

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2013, 11:08 pm »
I like Sennheiser's picked up a pair of 598s for Christmas, very nice and comfortable as hell.

randytsuch

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2013, 11:32 pm »
It's been a while since I have heard maggies, and I have never heard these, but seems like a natural match,

Hifiman HE-400, which is at the low end of their line for planars but still above your budget.

Howver, I have seen people sell open box and b stock closer to your price range.

brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2013, 06:58 am »
Well, these are actually all the headphones that I've been looking at but never heard, only read about.

On the AKG forum it was mentioned that the K702 are more for studio's and the K701 are more for the
audiophile. That said, I do like the fact the cord is replaceable on the K702, I'm not looking to upgrade
but if the cord should get mangled, it's can easily be replaced. 

The other option would be the Grado's SR80i which comes in at much less money, they are supposed to
sound very nice but may not be as comfortable as some have mentioned on different website's and not
sure if I will like the cord going to each earpiece.

I also looked at the Sennheiser 598's, I can order those at Best Buy and I have a $75.00 credit with them.
The only pair of Senn's I ever heard were those little lightweight headphone with the little yellow cushions
from the late seventies and the cheaper ones at BB which didn't appeal to me.

While the Hifiman HE-400 does look interesting, there priced more then I want to spend and unlike audio
equipment, the thought of used headphone seem unantiseptic to me. I know, it sound crazy.

I did forget to mention that I listen to different types of music with classic rock, jazz, pop and classical at the fore front if that makes more of a difference.

I appreciate all of the responses so far but unlike 2 channel which I've been into for many years this seems to be a much harder decision for me not having any real experience. I'm not sure if buying a few less expensive model's in different brand names would work for me, having the AKG 240's which sound great while playing my drum don't sound as good with music out of my Mac Mini, there just okay. Maybe an amp would help?

Thanks,
Jerry

« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2013, 05:35 pm by brooklyn »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2013, 07:45 am »
A decent headphone amp would help.
I use the Grado 80s with a laptop with real good results - they're cheap, easy to drive and sound good.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2013, 03:19 pm »
It's really, really hard for me to understand anyone who says the Grado 80s aren't comfortable....these are super light, they don't clamp at all, and you barely even know they're on your head. I know some people find the pads a little scratchy, but that is very easily remedied. When you do a load of laundry, just throw the pads in with the wash cycle....they'll come out nice and soft. Grados may not be your cup of tea in terms of their sonics, but I wouldn't allow the comfort issue to deter you at all.

Douger

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2013, 04:43 pm »
Good point, AJ. Also, before giving up on the sonics, run them in for 60 hours... Then you will know if they work for you!

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2013, 09:23 pm »
Brooklyn: Just FYI, Steve is an even bigger Maggie guy than I am (and that's saying a lot!) and Douger has a killer Grado rig. Both very good resources.

brooklyn

« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2013, 06:20 am »
Okay, after the Grado recommendations I did some more research on the Grado SR80i headphone's.
Gee Whiz, why didn't someone say they were made in my home town of Brooklyn, I had no idea, really.
It would appear that the sound is what I'm looking for in a pair of headphones.

I haven't owned a Grado product since my very early audio days. I had there XTE+1 phono cartridge.

I will give them a try and order a pair this coming week. Now, do I need a headphone amp?
If I do, I will need a USB to connect to my Mac Mini. Which one?

I recently purchased the Audio Engine D1 and listened to my AKG 240 headphones through it but didn't
notice any real improvement, so I returned it.

Thanks everyone for steering me in the right direction.

Regards,
Jerry

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2013, 06:40 am »
Okay, after the Grado recommendations I did some more research on the Grado SR80i headphone's.
Gee Whiz, why didn't someone say they were made in my home town of Brooklyn, I had no idea, really.
It would appear that the sound is what I'm looking for in a pair of headphones.

I haven't owned a Grado product since my very early audio days. I had there XTE+1 phono cartridge.

I will give them a try and order a pair this coming week. Now, do I need a headphone amp?
If I do, I will need a USB to connect to my Mac Mini. Which one?

I recently purchased the Audio Engine D1 and listened to my AKG 240 headphones through it but didn't
notice any real improvement, so I returned it.

Thanks everyone for steering me in the right direction.

Regards,
Jerry

Like Steve, I use my SR80s when I'm on my laptop...no amp needed at all. Just plug them into the headphone jack and you'll have fantastic sound. If you really want to hear them impress, check out some of the better quality music clips/videos on youtube...I don't know what youtube has done over the years, but the sound is fantastic lately.

You may end up not liking the Grados at all, but they're definitely worth an audition or even a purchase from somewhere you can return them if they aren't your preference (e.g. Amazon).

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2013, 07:04 am »
Try this Schiit. They have a great return policy, or would be easy and quick to sell for a minimal loss:

http://www.headfonia.com/schitty-magni-and-modi/

And please report back your impressions.

brooklyn

« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2013, 07:02 pm »
Thanks ajzepp, I will report back when I get the Grado's and play them for a couple of days.

Roscoeiiii, that is some really nice Schiit but I don't see any connections for USB.
Ain't that some Schiit.

Me being a minimalist, I will try the headphones without an amp/dac,
if they sound good, I will just use them right out of the Mac Mini.

Regards,
Jerry

roscoeiii

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2013, 07:26 pm »
Thanks ajzepp, I will report back when I get the Grado's and play them for a couple of days.

Roscoeiiii, that is some really nice Schiit but I don't see any connections for USB.
Ain't that some Schiit.

Me being a minimalist, I will try the headphones without an amp/dac,
if they sound good, I will just use them right out of the Mac Mini
Regards,
Jerry

Jerry, the Modi is a USB-only DAC.

If you are looking for an all-in-one DAC with amp and volume control, check out the new HRT unit or the Audioquest Dragonfly. Like the Schiit, both should be available from retailers with good return policies if they don't float your boat. Check Music Direct, they carry both.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-87559-audioquest-dragonfly-usb-dac.aspx

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-120500-hrt-microstreamer-usb-dacheadphone-amp.aspx

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 4 Feb 2013, 02:08 am »

Why don't you call the company and ask them if you can stop by and listen to some?

http://start.cortera.com/company/research/k3p7krs9r/grado-laboratories/

brooklyn

« Reply #17 on: 4 Feb 2013, 05:28 am »
Thanks Charmerci, that wouldn't be a bad idea other then the fact I'm living
just north of Tulsa Oklahoma. LOL

I'm going to order the Grado's from Crutchfield, I've done some business with
them in the past and if they have what I want, that's who I will buy from.

There very pleasant over the phone, have free shipping and a great return policy.

Regards,
Jerry

murphy11

« Reply #18 on: 4 Feb 2013, 05:48 am »
Jerry, the Modi is a USB-only DAC.

If you are looking for an all-in-one DAC with amp and volume control, check out the new HRT unit or the Audioquest Dragonfly. Like the Schiit, both should be available from retailers with good return policies if they don't float your boat. Check Music Direct, they carry both.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-87559-audioquest-dragonfly-usb-dac.aspx

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-120500-hrt-microstreamer-usb-dacheadphone-amp.aspx
Many BestBuy stores that have a Magnolia section stock the Audioquest Dragonfly and have a good return policy. I am new to headphones and bought a Dragonfly DAC from BB and am very happy with the purchase. Sound quality is a significant improvement over headphones straight from my laptop.

To my ears it is similar to watching standard cable on a HiDef TV vs HD content on a HD TV. Same program but significant improvement. My wife and daughter cannot tell when they are watching SD channels and it always drives me crazy. I have to swich over to the HD channel because I see a huge difference and know how much better the HD picture and sound are on the HD channel. Similar thing with the DAC.

One huge benefit of the DF to me is portability. I spend 3-4 hours a week waiting during my daughter's Volleyball practice and there is almost always an Internet connection. Pandora radio sounds really good on the DF and when I don't have Internet I can listen to FLAC tracks on my HD. Portability and great sound made this DAC a no brainer for me.

Frank I

« Reply #19 on: 4 Feb 2013, 09:47 pm »
I think you may like the Beyerdynamic 880 for a first headphone an dmuch more musical IMO than the AKG 701. If you like brighter sound then the AKG woould work for you.