New Veracity ST Monitor design

jsalk

New Veracity ST Monitor design
« on: 14 Sep 2018, 08:24 pm »
Chris was looking at monitor speakers and based on the Veracity ST's, wondered if we could do a pair of Monitors using the RAAL ribbon tweeter and the same Seas Excel W16's used in the V-ST's.  Of course, we could.  So this new model was born.

Here is a photo of the resulting speakers...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Chris!

- Jim

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
Re: New Veracity ST Monitor design
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2018, 09:16 pm »
gorgeous. Are these like supercharged song surrounds with a bigger driver?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2018, 09:19 pm »
Happy listening, indeed! Congrats, Chris!  :beer:

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2018, 12:03 pm »
gorgeous. Are these like supercharged song surrounds with a bigger driver?

Yes, the Seas Excel W16 is a very novel driver.  The frame size is the same as the 5" W15, but it has a 6" cone.  It is more expensive than the W18 7" woofer due to all the R&D that went into it.

- Jim

GlennDog

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2018, 09:47 pm »
I only had about 15 minutes with 'em
SQ is smooth as a babys bottom and not run-in, yet ...

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2018, 11:14 pm »
 :D total beauty.  I could use a small speaker set,,,,, :D

Joe Frances

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2018, 08:24 pm »
Jim:

How would you compare these Veracity ST Monitors with the Silks?  In broad terms they look similar; maybe taller but it's hard to tell. When they were described as being as smooth as a baby's bottom I thought about the Silks.

Joe

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2018, 02:37 pm »
Jim:

How would you compare these Veracity ST Monitors with the Silks?  In broad terms they look similar; maybe taller but it's hard to tell. When they were described as being as smooth as a baby's bottom I thought about the Silks.

Joe

There are a couple of differences probably worth noting.  First, the Silk Monitors are 83db sensitive while the Veracity ST Monitors are 85db sensitive.  Each 3db difference is equivalent to halving or doubling the power requirements.  So the Silk Monitors require a bit more power.

As for size, the Veracity ST Monitors are 1/2" taller and 1 1/4" deeper than the Silks.  So they are slightly larger.

The Silks have a 5" driver tuned to an F3 of 43Hz (which is quite deep for a monitor of this size), while the ST's have a 6" driver tuned to an F3 of 37Hz (a larger woofer will move more air down low).

In terms of sound, the Veracity ST's will be more detailed and tend to lean slightly more toward the "analytical" side.  You will hear slightly more detail in the midrange.  The Silks have a slightly fuller mid-bass which results in a slightly warmer, slightly smoother sounding presentation.

Some people prefer the more detailed Seas Excel woofer in the ST's while others love the "smooth as silk" response of the Illuminator woofer in the Silk Monitors. 

Both are excellent monitors with some of the best drivers being made today.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

Joe Frances

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2018, 09:01 pm »
There are a couple of differences probably worth noting.  First, the Silk Monitors are 83db sensitive while the Veracity ST Monitors are 85db sensitive.  Each 3db difference is equivalent to halving or doubling the power requirements.  So the Silk Monitors require a bit more power.

As for size, the Veracity ST Monitors are 1/2" taller and 1 1/4" deeper than the Silks.  So they are slightly larger.

The Silks have a 5" driver tuned to an F3 of 43Hz (which is quite deep for a monitor of this size), while the ST's have a 6" driver tuned to an F3 of 37Hz (a larger woofer will move more air down low).

In terms of sound, the Veracity ST's will be more detailed and tend to lean slightly more toward the "analytical" side.  You will hear slightly more detail in the midrange.  The Silks have a slightly fuller mid-bass which results in a slightly warmer, slightly smoother sounding presentation.

Some people prefer the more detailed Seas Excel woofer in the ST's while others love the "smooth as silk" response of the Illuminator woofer in the Silk Monitors. 

Both are excellent monitors with some of the best drivers being made today.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

Perfect, thanks, Jim.