VDC•SB Update (Squeezebox Power Supply)

tanchiro58

Re: VDC•SB Update (Squeezebox Power Supply)
« Reply #20 on: 6 Dec 2007, 06:42 pm »
Tan,

Thanks for the reply, but I understand what the VDC-SB is/does. 

My question is how do you have your Squeezebox hooked up to your stereo receiver?  I've heard that changes made to the Squeezebox power supply don't make much difference if your Squeezebox is connected to a receiver via digital connections (optical or cable).  So I'm curious how your system is setup.

Jam2001,

The connection is as followed:
Squeezebox 2 or 3 has a two digital connections optical and RCA. I do not connect to the RCA analog connectors but with a digital cable from SB3 to DAC which has RCA analog connection to your preamp (either tube or SS or your receiver) inputs or you can connect to your amp if it has volume control.

IMO I do not think that if you upgrade your PS for the SB3 it does not make change to the sound even though you connect to any preamp and/or receiver. 

jam2001

« Reply #21 on: 6 Dec 2007, 10:20 pm »
Tan,

In an earlier post you said...."I got one and love this "little cute cube" which brings my SB2 to another level of music."

But in the last post you said ... "IMO I do not think that if you upgrade your PS for the SB3 it does not make change to the sound even though you connect to any preamp and/or receiver."

So if I'm understanding correctly, you have a SB2 and a SB3 and you like the sound difference with the SB2 but not with the SB3.  Is that correct?

tanchiro58

« Reply #22 on: 6 Dec 2007, 11:38 pm »
So if I'm understanding correctly, you have a SB2 and a SB3 and you like the sound difference with the SB2 but not with the SB3.  Is that correct?

jam2001,

I am sorry that my statement makes you confused. Actually both of my SB had been modded with pulse transformers (SB2 with Newava and SB3 with SC947-02) and they both sounding good with an upgraded PS except I can hear a slight difference between them (SB2+CI VDC-SB PS sounds warmer and musical than SB3+VDC-SB PS). I prefer a warming sounding source. However, if I switch different preamp and/or amp there will be different story.

I have heard by Denjo that the combination of unmodded SB3 and Paul Hynes Shunt regulated PS are sounding good too.

Tan
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2007, 12:19 am by tanchiro58 »

denjo

« Reply #23 on: 7 Dec 2007, 12:05 am »
Yes, I use a stock SB3 (digital out) feeding a Altmann Attraction DAC, both units separately powered by a Paul Hynes shunt regulated PSU. It sounds very analog-like and transparent!  :)

Best Regards
Dennis

jam2001

« Reply #24 on: 7 Dec 2007, 04:46 am »
Dennis,

Have you ever tried the SB3 with the PH power supply but without the externalDAC, while hooked up through Digital out?  If so, do you think the third party power supply made a difference?  Or do you think the Altmann Attraction DAC is responsible for the analog like sound?

Bottom line I'm trying to get to....Does an after market power supply make a difference with the SB3 when it's hooked to a receiver via digital out connection?  I know that the external DAC's make a difference, and I hope to get the CI Audio VAC-2 in the near future. 

denjo

« Reply #25 on: 7 Dec 2007, 08:12 am »
Jam2001

I have tried the stock SB3 as follows and observed incremental improvements in musicality, with the first being the worst and the last, sonically the best:

SB3 with stock wallwart (RCA out - that is, no external DAC)
SB3 with PH PSU (RCA out - that is, no external DAC)
SB3 with stock wallwart (digital out to external Altmann DAC powered by ordinary linear PSU)
SB3 with stock wallwart (digital out to external Altmann DAC powered by Vinnie's SLA)
SB3 with PH PSU (digital out to external Altmann DAC powered by separate PH PSU)

You will observe that the Altmann DAC added to the SB3 made a big improvement, even though both the SB3 and Altmann were powered by stock power supplies. I attribute the superiority of the Altmann for the big leap forward. Obviously, once you power the Altmann DAC and SB3 with a premium PSU, you will discern another big rung up the ladder to sonic nirvana - more analog sounding, deeper and wider soundstage, effortless fluidity. I know that others have argued that the SB3's digital should be modded and with this, one would probably get the ultimate. While I have no way of confirming if this is so or not, I feel that the SB3's digital out is already quite good (mute volume altogether and disengage from analog circuit), and any changes to the digital out would probably be marginally better. I have since added a Bybee slipstream to the SB3 digital out and there was a subtle change of smoothening the edges.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards
Dennis

« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2007, 03:14 pm by denjo »

jam2001

« Reply #26 on: 7 Dec 2007, 02:11 pm »
Excellent!  That's what I was looking for. 

I'm not planning on modifying my SB3 because I feel the improvements from a good external DAC will be a better use of my money.  Although the Altmann DAC sounds good, I'm planning on getting the CI Audio VAC-2.

ratso

« Reply #27 on: 10 Dec 2007, 01:06 am »
hey guys! i emailed you this question but i figured i would put it in this thread in case anyone else is wondering. i have (and love) the power supply but would like to move my SB away from the unit. can i get a longer dc umbilical (say 10 foot) either from you or if you know any aftermarket (seems to be hard to find custom built dc cords)? any drawbacks with this?

CIAudio

« Reply #28 on: 11 Dec 2007, 04:19 am »
hey guys! i emailed you this question but i figured i would put it in this thread in case anyone else is wondering. i have (and love) the power supply but would like to move my SB away from the unit. can i get a longer dc umbilical (say 10 foot) either from you or if you know any aftermarket (seems to be hard to find custom built dc cords)? any drawbacks with this?

We only carry the cable in the standard 24" length. The 2.5mm connectors can be easily found at your local electronics store if you'd like to make a longer one.
I'd recommend keeping the cable as short as possible as long lengths could degrade performance (you want the p/s output capacitors close to the circuit being powered).

ratso

« Reply #29 on: 11 Dec 2007, 04:29 am »
thanx for the info guys. i would also like everyone out there to know that you guys are very quick at responding to email also, i got this same response from you the day before the above reply was posted.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #30 on: 8 Jan 2008, 10:01 am »
Dusty,

Will you be releasing a version of the VDC-SB for the new Squeezebox Duet? (With it's lower power consumption?)

http://slimdevices.com/pi_duet.html

tonyptony

« Reply #31 on: 8 Jan 2008, 12:51 pm »
Yes, I use a stock SB3 (digital out) feeding a Altmann Attraction DAC, both units separately powered by a Paul Hynes shunt regulated PSU. It sounds very analog-like and transparent!  :)

Best Regards
Dennis

Dennis, I may have missied it, but is there a link for the PH supply?

denjo

« Reply #32 on: 8 Jan 2008, 02:07 pm »
Tonyptony

Please check your pm.

Best Regards
Dennis

CIAudio

« Reply #33 on: 9 Jan 2008, 01:53 pm »
Will you be releasing a version of the VDC-SB for the new Squeezebox Duet? (With it's lower power consumption?)

We are already working on this...
I met with the Logitech folks here at CES and this looks like it will be pretty cool.
It runs off of 9v (instead of 5v) and uses a different power connector.
They could not give me a release date on the Duet for testing purposes, so I'm not sure
when the new power supply (or Duet) will be available.

This is not a replacement for the Squeezebox, but a sister product.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #34 on: 22 Jan 2008, 09:44 pm »
Does anyone out there know if this CI VDC-SB power supply will work with a Trends UD 10.1 USB Converter? I'm thinking it will but it would be nice to confirm this before purchasing one and getting stuck with a 10% restocking fee.

Anyone?

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 23 Jan 2008, 12:49 am »
Does anyone out there know if this CI VDC-SB power supply will work with a Trends UD 10.1 USB Converter? I'm thinking it will but it would be nice to confirm this before purchasing one and getting stuck with a 10% restocking fee.

Anyone?

Cheers,
Robin

Wayne Waananen  of Bolder Cables helped me out on this one. He says this power supply is totally compatible with the Trends UD 10.1 USB Converter. Even tho Wayne thinks the modded ELPAC would give a slightly warmer analog-like sound, my order will be placed for the Channel Island power supply.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

snoogly

« Reply #36 on: 9 May 2008, 08:56 pm »
Are the SB power supplies in full production now? Is there a waiting list, or is there likely to be a bit of a wait?

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #37 on: 9 May 2008, 11:05 pm »
There was no waiting list when I ordered mine months ago, what makes you think there's a waiting list or that these power supply's aren't in full production?  :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin

snoogly

« Reply #38 on: 10 May 2008, 06:16 am »
It was just that the last post I could I find about their availability mentioned a limited production run of 100.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #39 on: 10 May 2008, 06:21 am »
Well it's still being listed as a new product on CI's website with no mention of a limited production so I'd say it's a fair guess that you'll have one within 5-7 days after ordering one.  :D