What is BDP-1 Error Code 09?

budcook

What is BDP-1 Error Code 09?
« on: 9 Mar 2013, 12:04 am »
Just got a new WD Passport and I've formatted it to both types of Windows formats.  In both cases, when my BDP-1 initializes, it returns Error code 09.

The same music is on flash drives which work perfectly.

The drive works fine with USB 2.0 attached to a computer.

I bought the WD Passport because someone I know has a similar one and it works OK on a BDP-1.

I just tried a LaCie drive.  It produced no error code, it just wasn't recognized.  The BDP-1 produced the message 'Plug in some Tunes'.

Flash drives work in these same rear USB ports.
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2013, 02:21 am by budcook »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: What is BDP-1 Error Code 09?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2013, 02:40 am »
Just got a new WD Passport and I've formatted it to both types of Windows formats.  In both cases, when my BDP-1 initializes, it returns Error code 09.

The same music is on flash drives which work perfectly.

The drive works fine with USB 2.0 attached to a computer.

I bought the WD Passport because someone I know has a similar one and it works OK on a BDP-1.

I just tried a LaCie drive.  It produced no error code, it just wasn't recognized.  The BDP-1 produced the message 'Plug in some Tunes'.

Flash drives work in these same rear USB ports.
\

BDP-1 Error Codes

•   Error 03: No Analog Power Supply

•   Error 04: Analog Power Supply Too Low

•   Error 05: Analog Power Supply Too high

Error 09: System Board not responding

budcook

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2013, 03:29 am »
Thanks James,
I discovered that if I wait until initialization is complete, I can plug the drive in and it works perfectly.  I also discovered that the WD Passport can be driven from the front USB ports.

I'm just going to plug it in after it's initialized.

BTW, I formatted this drive using Windows 7 running under Bootcamp on my Mac Pro.  Formatting shouldn't have anything to do with the problem.

I'm learning my way around this device and I'd have to say that if you know what you are doing, it's a fantastic product.  I just ordered a 4BSST squared to replace my older 4B which completes my Bryston chain... BP-25mm, BDA-1, BDP-1 and BCD-1.

I'm also waiting for my new Magnepan 1.7's to be built.

SHV

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2013, 04:46 am »
"BTW, I formatted this drive using Windows 7 running under Bootcamp on my Mac Pro. "
Why not just format from Mac OS, MS-DOS (FAT)?

Steve

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2013, 05:00 am »
Thanks James,
I discovered that if I wait until initialization is complete, I can plug the drive in and it works perfectly.  I also discovered that the WD Passport can be driven from the front USB ports.

BTW, I formatted this drive using Windows 7 running under Bootcamp on my Mac Pro.  Formatting shouldn't have anything to do with the problem.

I'm learning my way around this device and I'd have to say that if you know what you are doing, it's a fantastic product.  I just ordered a 4BSST squared to replace my older 4B which completes my Bryston chain... BP-25mm, BDA-1, BDP-1 and BCD-1.

The BDP is likely unable to provide either drive with enough power to the point where there isn't enough for the mainboard to POST.

Cheers,
Chris

budcook

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2013, 05:37 am »
"BTW, I formatted this drive using Windows 7 running under Bootcamp on my Mac Pro. "
Why not just format from Mac OS, MS-DOS (FAT)?

Steve
I tried that and it didn't work and I'd seen some posts about a problem formatting with OS/X.

budcook

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2013, 05:40 am »
The BDP is likely unable to provide either drive with enough power to the point where there isn't enough for the mainboard to POST.

Cheers,
Chris
That sounds like a good explanation but no one else seems to be having a problem.  In fact, I bought the Passport on the recommendation of someone who uses the same drive with his BDP and he never mentioned a problem.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2013, 11:32 am »
Thanks James,

That's good news  :thumb: - I have a pair of MG 20's being built as well and have owned the 1.7's for about 2 years now- great speaker  :thumb:

James

budcook

« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2013, 01:46 pm »

Cheers,
Chris
Only the Passport produces the 09 error message during Initialization.  I'm beginning to think it's related to the Passport's support of USB 3.0.  Also, when the Passport is plugged in and you turn the power on, instead of one beep, there are several beeps in succession.  I don't know what that means but it's different from any of the other devices I plug into the device.

There is also a firmware revision available for the BDP-1 dated 12-10-2012 that I need to check out.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2013, 02:35 pm »
Only the Passport produces the 09 error message during Initialization.  I'm beginning to think it's related to the Passport's support of USB 3.0.  Also, when the Passport is plugged in and you turn the power on, instead of one beep, there are several beeps in succession.  I don't know what that means but it's different from any of the other devices I plug into the device.

There is also a firmware revision available for the BDP-1 dated 12-10-2012 that I need to check out.

Make sure the Passport is plugged into the BOTTOM REAR USB port on the back of the BDP-1.

james

budcook

« Reply #10 on: 9 Mar 2013, 02:53 pm »
Make sure the Passport is plugged into the BOTTOM REAR USB port on the back of the BDP-1.

james
I tried that and it still produces Error code 09 if the drive is plugged in from the beginning of Initialization.  However, if I wait for just a few seconds, I can plug the drive in even during Initialization and it will work OK.  If the drive is plugged in when I turn the power on there are several beeps and then a long Initialization ending with the error code.  If I wait for a few seconds before plugging it in, there is the normal one beep and then the normal Initialization w/o any errors.

BTW, would you know what Firmware Revision S1.60 dated 2012-12-10 is about?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 9 Mar 2013, 03:33 pm »
I tried that and it still produces Error code 09 if the drive is plugged in from the beginning of Initialization.  However, if I wait for just a few seconds, I can plug the drive in even during Initialization and it will work OK.  If the drive is plugged in when I turn the power on there are several beeps and then a long Initialization ending with the error code.  If I wait for a few seconds before plugging it in, there is the normal one beep and then the normal Initialization w/o any errors.

BTW, would you know what Firmware Revision S1.60 dated 2012-12-10 is about?

Hi

So once loaded on the next start up you get the same error?  If so the passport appears to be drawing a lot of current on initial start up. Is it the 1TB Passport?

The software you mentioned is in current production units.

James

budcook

« Reply #12 on: 9 Mar 2013, 03:49 pm »
Hi

So once loaded on the next start up you get the same error?  If so the passport appears to be drawing a lot of current on initial start up. Is it the 1TB Passport?

The software you mentioned is in current production units.

James
Yes it is James.  The curious thing is that the person who recommended the Passport also has the 1TB.  However, his might be an older USB 2.0 unit.  I'm checking on that. 

I also tried an older LaCie Rugged drive and it didn't have a problem during Initialization but the music on it wasn't found. 

For now, I'll just adapt to the problem although I like to simplify things as much as possible for my wife.

Thanks for all the help.

P.S. I'll bet the BDP-2 with the improved power supply would resolve my problem. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 9 Mar 2013, 06:03 pm »
Yes it is James.  The curious thing is that the person who recommended the Passport also has the 1TB.  However, his might be an older USB 2.0 unit.  I'm checking on that. 

I also tried an older LaCie Rugged drive and it didn't have a problem during Initialization but the music on it wasn't found. 

For now, I'll just adapt to the problem although I like to simplify things as much as possible for my wife.

Thanks for all the help.

P.S. I'll bet the BDP-2 with the improved power supply would resolve my problem.

Yes the BDP-2 has a much larger power supply.

james

srb

« Reply #14 on: 9 Mar 2013, 06:12 pm »

If the problem is insufficient power, a USB Y-cable designed for supplying up to 1A from 2 500mA USB ports might be a solution (if you don't need the other USB port for a second drive), although its still somewhat hard to believe that a slim portable USB powered drive wouldn't be designed to operate smoothly off of a standard 500mA USB port. 

http://www.startech.com/Cables/USB-2.0/Mini/3-ft-USB-Y-Cable-for-External-Hard-Drive-USB-A-to-mini-B~USB2HABMY3

James / Chris ?

Steve

budcook

« Reply #15 on: 9 Mar 2013, 07:44 pm »
If the problem is insufficient power, a USB Y-cable designed for supplying up to 1A from 2 500mA USB ports might be a solution (if you don't need the other USB port for a second drive), although its still somewhat hard to believe that a slim portable USB powered drive wouldn't be designed to operate smoothly off of a standard 500mA USB port. 

http://www.startech.com/Cables/USB-2.0/Mini/3-ft-USB-Y-Cable-for-External-Hard-Drive-USB-A-to-mini-B~USB2HABMY3

James / Chris ?

Steve
Thanks for the advice.  I just ordered the cable.

Bud

BrysTony

« Reply #16 on: 9 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm »
FWIW, I have been using a 1 TB Passport 3.0/2.0 drive connected to the bottom rear USB port on my BDP-1 for more than a year and have not had any problems with it.

Tony

Marius

« Reply #17 on: 9 Mar 2013, 10:39 pm »
+1 for that, 2 2TB 3.0/2.0 drives here, and no issues.

Had the odd error message (never this 09 though) and they disappeared after checking the right format, with a MBR. Diskutilty on your Mac will do just fine. Check this if you want some more info: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109332.msg1126072#msg1126072

just checked with new latest firmware tools, benchmark of both hdd's is 12.8 13.2, which seems to imply the BDP1 gives enough power  :thumb:

Cheers,
Marius

FWIW, I have been using a 1 TB Passport 3.0/2.0 drive connected to the bottom rear USB port on my BDP-1 for more than a year and have not had any problems with it.

Tony

RLL1

« Reply #18 on: 10 Mar 2013, 12:55 am »

Tony

+1

budcook

« Reply #19 on: 10 Mar 2013, 01:03 am »
+1 for that, 2 2TB 3.0/2.0 drives here, and no issues.

Had the odd error message (never this 09 though) and they disappeared after checking the right format, with a MBR. Diskutilty on your Mac will do just fine. Check this if you want some more info: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109332.msg1126072#msg1126072

just checked with new latest firmware tools, benchmark of both hdd's is 12.8 13.2, which seems to imply the BDP1 gives enough power  :thumb:

Cheers,
Marius
My problem isn't a formatting problem.  If I wait just seconds after the onset of Initialization to plug the drive in, it works perfectly.  It is only what appears to be the start of Initialization that the problem occurs.  In normal operation, there is a single beep when power is turned on with a drive plugged in.  In my case there is the single beep and then a series of beeps follows that.  After a longer than normal Initialization, the error code 09 is presented.

I've ordered a Y cable to see if the problem is truly a power problem. 

BTW, this is the WD drive I have... WDBBEP0010BBL-NESN  The BDP-1 is at S1.17.