"Casablanca" 70th Anniversary

SET Man

"Casablanca" 70th Anniversary
« on: 22 Mar 2012, 02:57 am »
Hey!

Just got back from the AMC Empire 25 in Time Sq. NYC of which was one of the theaters nationwide showing "Casablanca" celebrating 70th Anniversary for one night only. :D

http://www.fathomevents.com/classics/event/casablanca.aspx?gclid=COKbyei7-a4CFQfe4AodoFvZzQ

I'm not a movie theater buff and haven't been to movie theater in years but it was wonderful to have the opportunity to see this one of my favorite classic on the silver screen.

No it wasn't the first time I saw this movie. I've seen it a few times already over the years. But on TV. I didn't pay much attention to this move until I caught it on TV and I was hooked! Turn out to be one of my favorite movie.

Anyway, it was nice seeing it on silver screen tonight. Beside the size of screen, also the feel is different. Although I'm pretty sure it was a digital file and projection still it was nice to see this great film in theater and get the feel of what is like when it came out in the theater 70 years ago. :D

BTW.... Ingrid Bergman is like a dream, so lovely :inlove:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Goosepond

• Virna!
Re: "Casablanca" 70th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2012, 03:18 am »
I'm sure that was a treat.

Sorry to say they just don't know how to make movies like that anymore. No computer animation, not much violence and even when there is, you don't really see it.

One of the joys of this movie is catching all the phrases you have heard so many times before through the years, some erroneously.

For instance, never in the movie does anyone say, "play it again, Sam"  :thumb:

Gene

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2012, 03:24 am »
Agreed!  About 25 years ago I saw the restored "Lawrence of Arabia" on the big screen in Houston.

Unbelievable!  The scope, grandeur, impact.  If comes back to the theaters, DON'T miss it!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2012, 06:12 am »
Casablanca is and probably always will be in my top five or so favorite movies.

ratso

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2012, 04:31 am »
my favorite movie. must have been great  :thumb:

ratso

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2012, 04:34 am »

For instance, never in the movie does anyone say, "play it again, Sam"  :thumb:

Gene

Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2012, 01:50 pm »
When asked by the Nazi Colonel, 'what's your nationality?", Bogy replies "I'm a drunkard".

Recalling the day the Nazi's invaded Paris and the last day Bogy saw Bergman, "I remember it well, you wore blue, they wore gray".

Claude Raines played the local Free French police captain and obviously knew what went on at Bogy's restaurant but had to acquiesce to the Nazi Colonel's order to shut the place down. When one of his subordinates informed him that there was gambling going on at the establishment, he said "I'm shocked, shocked" as the subordinate handed him his winnings!

Good stuff.  :thumb:

Gene

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:55 am »
Hey!

Yes, it was a real treat to see this movie on big silver screen for sure. It was show in two rooms and the first room was sold out when I try to get the tix the night before. Luckily the second room still have tix available. But from the look of it when I was there both room sold out!

Another interesting I saw that night was that it was a mix of people old and young. Although I don't think I saw any teens. But I will say I saw what look like 20's something to some of whom I think saw this movie when it was first shown in theater 70 years ago. I'm 34 so kindna in the middle of the group there I think. :D

Anyway, it was a great movie for sure. I'm a bit of history buff and with that what make this movie even more special is the fact that it is a movie about WWII what was made during the war was still going on. Actually before the movie was show there have special intro with interviews with some guests and people who was there behind the movies and I remembered they mention that the script was updates almost daily to keep up with what is going on with the war. And that is pretty amazing. :D

BTW... for those in the US with TCM Channel. They will show "Casablanca" on April 13th @ 8PM. Not sure if they will show the intro from theater also.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/610/Casablanca/

Check out infos and behind the scene stuffs there... pretty cool. :cool:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb: 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2012, 04:06 am »
A true classic Buddy, glad to hear you were able to get in. As noted earlier, they just don't make them like that any more.  :thumb:  JD

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2012, 01:41 pm »
I agree with Buddy about when this movie was made. It's easy to make a movie about WWII after it's over 'cause you know how it ended.  :thumb:

Every time I see one of those old B&W movies on TCM, I immediately look to see when it was made in relation to WWII. Especially interesting was one of Charlie Chaplin's talkies "The Great Dictator" made around 1940. He laid it out there about Hitler and the Nazi's when the whole world was going crazy. His speech at the end is something. It was like he went out of character and said some things that I'm sure he felt needed to be said.

I was born a couple weeks after the end of WWII and love to see movies and documentaries about that time period, just trying to understand the madness.

Gene

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2012, 01:49 pm »
I agree with Buddy about when this movie was made. It's easy to make a movie about WWII after it's over 'cause you know how it ended.  :thumb:

Every time I see one of those old B&W movies on TCM, I immediately look to see when it was made in relation to WWII. Especially interesting was one of Charlie Chaplin's talkies "The Great Dictator" made around 1940. He laid it out there about Hitler and the Nazi's when the whole world was going crazy. His speech at the end is something. It was like he went out of character and said some things that I'm sure he felt needed to be said.
Gene

+1!   :thumb:  Brilliant!  Part Three Stooges, part Little Tramp, part Orson Wells.  Incredible foresight!    Staggering in its view of the future,

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2012, 01:56 pm »
+1!   :thumb:  Brilliant!  Part Three Stooges, part Little Tramp, part Orson Wells.  Incredible foresight!    Staggering in its view of the future,

Of course Chaplin was known for his Little Tramp silent movies but I have a lot of trouble watching any of the silent movies because I hate trying to read the dialog at the bottom of the screen.  :thumb:

But I find the few talkies that Chaplin made very interesting. Like Limelight. Just watch the credits for that movie. He did everything including the music. The theme from that movie is very nice and I occasionally here it today on the Cable TV Music Channel.

Gene