BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

marsboer

Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #80 on: 30 Oct 2012, 05:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure most everyone knows (or can easily guess) what a "USB Converter" or "USB Interface" is relative to audio.

But if the model number has to describe it exactly then the only choice would have to be

BD24192AUSBAESEBUSPDIFC-1
Bryston Digital 24-bit 192KHz Asynchronous USB to AES/EBU and S/PDIF Converter

Steve

All those outputs could easily be summarized to either digital audio outputs or S/PDIF outputs.
James uses the description USB to SPDIF. Why shouldn't that be used (BUS-1)? It describes the device purpose in detail withouth having multiple meanings or beeing to vague.

USB Interface or USB Converter only makes sense for you if you have stereo as a special interest. If I say to the guys at work that I just bought a USB converter for my stereo my guess is that absolutely noone would understand that it is for the purpose of converting USB to S/PDIF because they are only mildly interested in stereo. They would think USB to Analog (as in DAC), USB storage or something like that even if they know it's purely for audio usage. I would actually prefer a totally random name, like "Hiface Two", before the multiple meaning terms USB Interface or USB Converter.

srb

« Reply #81 on: 30 Oct 2012, 06:26 pm »
If I say to the guys at work that I just bought a USB converter for my stereo my guess is that absolutely noone would understand that it is for the purpose of converting USB to S/PDIF because they are only mildly interested in stereo.

Those who are "only mildly interested in stereo" will probably not be in the market for converters, external DACs or high-end Bryston components.

USB Interface or USB Converter only makes sense for you if you have stereo as a special interest.

Exactly!  I don't expect this to be found in the model airplane or bicycle parts catalogs.

Whatever James and Bryston Limited decide to name it is fine with me and we should probably get this particular topic back on the track of the features and functionality of the BDA-2 DAC!

Steve

marsboer

« Reply #82 on: 3 Nov 2012, 08:46 pm »
James:
Is the BDA-2 using I²S internally from the USB receiver chip to the DAC or is it converted to S/PDIF along its way?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #83 on: 3 Nov 2012, 08:47 pm »
James:
Is the BDA-2 using I²S internally from the USB receiver chip to the DAC or is it converted to S/PDIF along its way?

Hi

I²S

james

amuser

« Reply #84 on: 7 Nov 2012, 10:44 pm »
Can't wait to get mine. Have one on order. Woot!!! :thumb:

amuser

« Reply #85 on: 8 Nov 2012, 05:57 pm »
Any one want to buy a BDA 1 in black 17 in ? Got one here for sale.....

amuser

« Reply #86 on: 13 Nov 2012, 11:58 pm »
Whomever comes up with the best name wins a free one  :thumb:

james

Keep it nice and short

How about the

Supercalifragilistic-USBconverter

mav52

« Reply #87 on: 15 Nov 2012, 01:57 am »
Mr Tanner,  just wondering does the BDA-2 DAC have a remote

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #88 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:00 am »
Mr Tanner,  just wondering does the BDA-2 DAC have a remote

Hi Mav52

Yes the Bryston BR2 remote works with it.

James

Vipers

« Reply #89 on: 15 Nov 2012, 01:26 pm »
Hi James, is it still looking likely that we'll see the BDA-2 and BDP-2 this side of Christmas?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #90 on: 15 Nov 2012, 04:13 pm »
Hi James, is it still looking likely that we'll see the BDA-2 and BDP-2 this side of Christmas?

For sure - the first 15 BDA-2's are leaving the factory today and the BDP-2's next week.

james

JfTM

« Reply #91 on: 15 Nov 2012, 08:15 pm »
Hope it's not too late for the USB/s/PDIF whatever name game.

Bryston DIC (Digital Interface Connection)

Hey James, how about a poll post with the candidates?

amuser

« Reply #92 on: 16 Nov 2012, 07:34 pm »
For sure - the first 15 BDA-2's are leaving the factory today and the BDP-2's next week.

james

Thats awesome news !!!! Can't wait.

gordon

« Reply #93 on: 20 Nov 2012, 02:51 am »
Hi, a basic question but appreciate thoughts from the group. I am running a BDA1 fed from an Empirical Audio Offramp fed by a Mac Mini. Am I correct that the new BDA2 has the USB capability that will allow me to replace both the BDA1 and the Offramp?

srb

« Reply #94 on: 20 Nov 2012, 03:05 am »
Am I correct that the new BDA2 has the USB capability that will allow me to replace both the BDA1 and the Offramp?

Yes.  If the BDA-2 has a good USB implementation and the USB input is connected internally to the DAC chip via I2S (which James has stated that it does), then I can't see any reason or advantage to convert the USB input to S/PDIF with an external USB to S/PDIF converter.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #95 on: 20 Nov 2012, 03:14 am »

Yes.  If the BDA-2 has a good USB implementation and the USB input is connected internally to the DAC chip via I2S (which James has stated that it does), then I cannot see any reason why one would want to convert the USB input to S/PDIF with an external USB to S/PDIF converter.

Steve

Correct Steve - thanks.  The USB is asynchronous and is connected using I2S.

James

gordon

« Reply #96 on: 20 Nov 2012, 11:56 pm »
Thanks James and Steve, will be placing an order with Ovation. What is the lead time looking like?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #97 on: 21 Nov 2012, 12:18 am »
Thanks James and Steve, will be placing an order with Ovation. What is the lead time looking like?

Hi

Backordered 44 units as of today so any new order about 2 weeks.

James

Aramys

« Reply #98 on: 25 Nov 2012, 11:53 am »
Hi James,

As I see it, BDA-2 design is VERY VERY close to BDA-1 (same inputs, facia,... pretty sure they use the very same external parts). Would it be possible to retrofit BDA-2 motherboard in a BDA-1. It would be so environment-friendly to be able to recycle a BDA-1 box this way!! :D If it's possible, I'm in without any doubt because price could be very competitive!

Bests,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #99 on: 25 Nov 2012, 12:34 pm »
Hi James,

As I see it, BDA-2 design is VERY VERY close to BDA-1 (same inputs, facia,... pretty sure they use the very same external parts). Would it be possible to retrofit BDA-2 motherboard in a BDA-1. It would be so environment-friendly to be able to recycle a BDA-1 box this way!! :D If it's possible, I'm in without any doubt because price could be very competitive!

Bests,

No I am sorry - we looked at that long and hard and the cost was just not feasible - too many changes required.

james