What speakers are you using with your RW amp?

Dmason

Re: What speakers are you using with you RW amp?
« Reply #20 on: 12 Feb 2008, 08:05 pm »
Here are some speakers that my Signature 30 played with.

B200 "DarkStar" open baffle rig
Omega SuperHemp
Dynaudio Contour 1.8MkII
Tone Tubby 12
Fostex FE208E-Sigma folded pipe/horn
Fostex FE166es-r backhorn
Fostex FE168E-Sigma folded pipe/horn
Vintage Chicago-Jensen 15/8 in Hammond C-3 organ
Axiom M40Ti

In all cases it sounded wonderful. I liked the powerful, fullrange, Fostex 208 BIB-horn best, and old Chicago Jensen ALnico 15's the best of all. I also think the T-sonic with the B200 is amazing, to this day.

UV

« Reply #21 on: 12 Feb 2008, 09:26 pm »
I own the Von Schweikert VR2, will the signature 30.2 be able to drive these speakers?
I'm listening to rock music in a 3*4 Meter Sqr room in moderate levels.
specs:
Sensitivity & Impedance: 87.5 dB @ one watt/one meter, anechoic. 90 dB in room.
                                  8 ohms nominal, 7 ohms low to 20 ohms high.

Power Handling:  20 watts minimum power, 200 watts maximum r.m.s., 500 watts peak.

ZLS

« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2008, 11:07 pm »
    Omega Dipole XRS's with a Omega DeepHemp (Sub)Woofer. 

The RWA 30.2 is above all musical.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #23 on: 13 Feb 2008, 05:07 pm »
I own the Von Schweikert VR2, will the signature 30.2 be able to drive these speakers?
I'm listening to rock music in a 3*4 Meter Sqr room in moderate levels.
specs:
Sensitivity & Impedance: 87.5 dB @ one watt/one meter, anechoic. 90 dB in room.
                                  8 ohms nominal, 7 ohms low to 20 ohms high.

Power Handling:  20 watts minimum power, 200 watts maximum r.m.s., 500 watts peak.

Hi UV,

Welcome to audiocircle and the RWA forum!

The 30.2 will have no trouble driving your VR2's based on all the data that you provided. 

You are in a small room, your speakers are 90dB efficient (in room), the impedance is not a problem, and the 30.2 outputs a very clean 30 watts RMS per channel.  I'm confident that you'll be a happy camper with this combo!  :)

Best regards,

Vinnie

Canyoneagle

Re: What speakers are you using with your RW amp?
« Reply #24 on: 15 Mar 2008, 04:20 am »
Okay, after a long hiatus (read: enjoying the music), I am now seeking some advice on my next musical shift.
I have truly been enjoying listeming to my Omega compact Hemptones (predecessor to the current compacts). driven by a DIY (by someone else) SLA-powered tripath (Clari-T copy), fed by an iMod (4th gen), with lossless files, of course.

I have just purchased an original Rega Planet CDP to spin CD's not already loaded in the iMod.

In order to reflect appropriate thread context, I am planning to move to the sig 30.2 (or an upgraded sig 30), and am considering some speaker options (used market).  Here's the rundown:

First criteria, NO AC POWER (hence, the incredible RWA offerings) - my wife and I are building off the grid.

Second, speaker possibilities:
- Upgrade within the Omega line to Superhemps or Maxhemps
- Gallo Ref 3.1
- DeVore 8 or 9
- Others?

I vary dramatically in my musical genres, but I always seek the experience over the analysis.

I will likely make my move on the amp first, but thought it would be intriguing to re-open some more discussion on this topic of synergistic speaker pairings.

Finally, I would like to experiment with Open Baffle (DIY) speakers as well.  I know much has already been written about OB pairings with the RWA amps, so I will defer that discussion to another time.

It's nice to be back among familiar folks,

Warmly,
Michael

miklorsmith

« Reply #25 on: 15 Mar 2008, 06:12 am »
Everything in life is opinion . . .

Omega, DeVore, Gallo, in that order.

beeroclcock

« Reply #26 on: 15 Mar 2008, 06:58 am »
"Finally, I would like to experiment with Open Baffle (DIY) speakers as well."

do yourself a favour and have a look at the Bastanis Prometheus - I have this combination and its fantastic.

thanks philip

Canyoneagle

« Reply #27 on: 16 Mar 2008, 03:19 pm »
Miklorsmith,
Interestingly, your order mirrors my own perception at the moment.
On Friday evening after I posted this, I sat an listened to my compact hemps with a HUGE smile on my face.  Damn, those omegas sound nice, even with my cheezy Clari-T knock-off.

I'm going to try to demo some DeVores to gauge the differences in sound.  The last pair of speakers I owned before the Omegas were the Castle Howard III's.  Fantastic speakers.  The DeVores seem to be a similar style - tall narrow cabinet, simple crossover, offset tweeter, etc (although the Castles are a quarter-wave cabinet loaded with a vertical-firing mid/bass driver and vented above the plinth).

I'd love to hear the Superhemps and the Maxhemps to see how they differ.  I hear that the super's have a markedly better bass response and are just a tad slower than the compacts.

Okay, enough ramblimg jibberish.

Louis, any superhemp or maxhemp owners in Utah or in Western Colorado?

Warmly,
Michael
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2008, 02:03 pm by Canyoneagle »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #28 on: 16 Mar 2008, 03:48 pm »
You could upgrade your Hemptones to the current drivers (must be sent in to do this if they are the narrow baffle version) or the new Alnico drivers (if they will work) and add 1 or 2 of these: http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/deephemp.html for deep bass.

Lin :)

Canyoneagle

« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2008, 02:09 pm »
I've considered the driver upgrade, and need to investigate what I might expect soundwise from the change.
The deephemps would be very cool, except my wife and I are going to be moving "off the grid" in a couple of years and want to stick with SLA-powered audio.  Hmmmmmmm, I wonder if Louis/Vinnie could collaborate on an SLA-powered deephemp?  aa

I have just come across a lightly used Sig 30 and will be buying it soon.  I'll probably run it as it is for a while, then I will send it in to Vinnie for the 30.2 upgrade.
So, once I hear the RWA/Omega synergy I can begin to refine my speaker decision.

At this stage, I'm pretty sure that I want to try building some OB's as secondary speakers, so you may see me popping up on that forum in the near future.

Warm regards,
Michael

dallas 521

« Reply #30 on: 18 Mar 2008, 05:34 pm »
I am using the 30 with my New pride and joy the NSR sonic D-3 Sonata Loudspeakers .I have had several people trying to tell me that my Loudspekers can't be that good, Guess what ,since I heard em at the show they are far better and at almost 94db at 1w. I have a full range loudspeaker that has embarrased everything in it's price range ,Vinnies 30  are plenty ,everytime I play a cd it is now seems Live .If anyone has $4-5 k to spend on a loudspeaker you would be crazy to overlook these I started at8k to shop and worked my way down.
The Hemps are very good ,the Dual amp Emeralds  excellent with proper amplification , none were as balanced from 20hz-30khz.
I now have to save  so later in the year I can get either the  Isabela or upgrade to the 30.2 -tough decision.

miklorsmith

« Reply #31 on: 18 Mar 2008, 06:23 pm »
Stolen from Dallas, i.e. Intergalactic Wastebin:

Hello One thing I will say is I heard a demo of the NSR D-3 at the Vegas show as a home theatre installer I get free travel to the shows .I heard the NSR -D-3 in Vegas and I can tell you this they were good then ,the demo I heard last week was Outstanding ,I have  currently the Acoustic Zen adagios ,and they destroy them in every phase ,and that was with the standard model , the Reference Xover
took it another league I would guess into $8-10k range as far as refinement .This is with the Duelund Xover which brings the speaker to around $5400.  they were using a excellent little 10w Art audo amp which was plenty on average ,the big SS Coda amp  gave it a more tight bass and slam overall
when I get my Adagios sold I am buying them . I think these and the Emerald loudspeakers were the best 2 new ones out there IMO
The Emeralds were nice but 2 amps needed , and the mid bass was not as good , from what I heard trying to do to much with the top driver .

And, the IW thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=51409.msg461977#msg461977

Draw your own conclusions.

Fork

• Industry Participant
  • (855) JAGAUDIO
    • JaguarAudioDesign.com
Re: Synergy with Zu Speakers?
« Reply #32 on: 21 Mar 2008, 04:02 am »
I'm wondering about the synergy of the 30.2/70.2 with Zu speakers.  I'm sure Srajan will explore this with the 6 moons review and I see Miklorsmith is running this combo.  Anybody who's heard these together care to comment?  I'm particularly interested in where you think it ranks and how it differs from other brands that perform well with RW, especially Omega.

Eadron

« Reply #33 on: 22 Mar 2008, 04:05 pm »
Hello,my first post here. I replaced my modified (caps,triode mode) Almarro A205A mk II to 30.2 and couldn't been happier with the results. Speakers are Avantgarde horns. Absolutely fantastic combination. Very smooth, dynamic and detailed.

gsands

« Reply #34 on: 22 Mar 2008, 04:50 pm »
I'm using Audio Note AN/E SPE HE speakers, 98DB and they sound great with the Sig 30.2, even better than I thought they would.  The front end is a Modwright Denon 3910 and I'm running everything through a First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II pre-amp.

The amp provides excellent control over my speakers from top to bottom. It offers a rich, organic sound and has relegated my tube amps to the basement. Next move will be a cable upgrade although I need either really long speaker cables (current configuration) or interconnects. I'd welcome any thoughts on cables that work well with the Sig. 30.2.

dewar

« Reply #35 on: 23 Mar 2008, 12:12 pm »
I had some Zu Tones with a Signature 30 and liked it, but then got sold on open baffle B200's. I'm now using Hawthorne Sterling Silver Iris 15" coaxials in open baffle and swear this is is the last speaker I'll ever own. Future upgrade the will be 30.2 and get a tube pre.

B.

pauljvl

« Reply #36 on: 24 Mar 2008, 08:46 am »
 I was reading what miklorsmith  had to say and he may be partly right in his conclusions of dallas  motive , but the NSR speakers truly have no peer whatsoever in the $5k
price range, it can go with many in the $10k range ,shocked I am .I donot have them myself, but plan on it in time. with the reference Duelund crossover that is what I heard . There are many good loudspeakers out there If you have not heard them in the final production version you have not heard them,I see this on Audiogon all the time .
If anyone including myself has something to say then I dam well have better heard it in depth  and in a decent environment to make a call for I know from experience what you say does effect others especially the designer ,I think Vinnie would even agree with this statement . This is why I usually like this circle better it has more knowledgable
and a more positive approach to other  fellow Audiophiles.we will never allways agree My 30 years and have spent more than a home on audio qualifys me to voice a somewhat educated opinion, thankyou .

miklorsmith

« Reply #37 on: 24 Mar 2008, 02:47 pm »
Your space bar seems to be broken just like Dallas'.  Weird.

Whatever, you should start a new thread about them instead of polluting this one about Red Wine compatibility.

low.pfile

« Reply #38 on: 24 Mar 2008, 10:15 pm »
Back to the question at hand: What speakers are you using with your RW amp?

I am curious about various speaker matches for the RWA Signature 30.2 in that I am seriously considering adding a dedicated integrated amp to create a 2-channel system. My front end is digital server with wavelength dac: I am considering compact tower speakers.( I currently have bookshelves but good stands are really needed for bookshelves so that adds another $500 (soundanchors, skylan)..... that said really intrigued by SP Technologies Timepeice Mini's  but their floorstander is $9k. I am looking at a $4k budget max (used is OK).  13 x 19 ft multi-use living room. Rock, Electronica, Blues music.

I am going to add that I am going to throw in my staunch aesthetic bias (toward simplicity, balanced proportion, lack of ornamentation). While I appreciate the spectacular sound that many speakers produce, some tower/floorstanders are just visually "clumsy"(Green Mountain Audio's, Von Schweikert) and would be hard for me to live with (no WAF).  I know this is something for me to "deal with" I realize and I will need to make a compromise somewhere. So.....towers I like visually (Devore Nines, SPTech Continuum 2.5 MKIII)
Priority is sound : Transparancy (speaker box), Soundstage, Imaging, dynamics

thanks, ed

texendo

« Reply #39 on: 24 Mar 2008, 11:27 pm »
Devore Nines are on your list, and I'm pretty sure those are the exact speakers used when voicing the .2 series amps.  Hard to go wrong there.  I use the Nines with my 70s (70.2 en route) and they are exceptionally beguiling to say the least.  I find the fit and appearance to be esthetically svelte, and I couldn't agree more about the appearance of some other speakers.