Signature 15 vs 30.2 LPV

zomble

Signature 15 vs 30.2 LPV
« on: 8 Dec 2012, 08:24 am »
I gather the technology is different on the 2 amps. If you have speakers that are easy enough to drive which is more musical, better midrange. Have pre LPV 30.2 and love it and look forward to the sound of tubes.

CSI

Re: Signature 15 vs 30.2 LPV
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2012, 04:01 pm »
This really can't be answered outside of your own listening experience. I own both amps. At first, I thought the Sig 15 was clearly better overall but somehow lacked the relaxed "soul" of my 30.2 LPV. Certainly the midrange and treble were both superior in the Sig 15. After weeks of going back and forth I realized that the Sig 15 was better in all ways but my room was causing some interactions that created a hardness in the upper midrange. I rearranged my GIK room treatments (with some guidance from Glenn) and the problem (which was mostly caused by early side wall reflections) went away. My Signature 15 now sounds like the ones the critics all rave about (lots of break in hours seemed to help as well). I still love my 30.2 LPV and anyone who owns one is listening to one of the most musical amps ever built. But the Signature 15 brings a level of clarity, depth and detail to the party that makes music more involving (OK, that was a bunch of critic speak, but it's true). You just might find it a little less "forgiving" of other factors, particularly room treatment. But since you should be carefully treating your listening space anyway, the effort will be worth it. As for power, I'm a medium/loud jazz listener, my room is pretty small, and my speakers are inefficient (about 86 dB). There's plenty of headroom in my set up. As usual, YMMV. Footnote: Don't even hesitate on this one: replace all tubes in your RWA gear with Dario MiniWatts. Everything that is very good will instantly become great.

zomble

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2012, 04:33 pm »
Thank You I am using 3a reference Veena's which I think are an easy load to drive and I listen mostly to folk and solo piano. Unfortunately my listening room is  a basement of a 100 year old house but I have been really impressed with the non tube 30.2.The 30.2 sure makes my AKG K1000 sing. I have been an audiophile for 30 years and spent a lot of money(old days money when the best speakers were $5000 not $150, 000 and good cable was $300 not $3000). What about cables that work well with the RWA?

CSI

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2012, 03:27 pm »
In my experience Audience cables are very nice with RWA and I had great results with Speltz Anti-Cables (the best bargain for sure). Then I ordered the Virtue Nirvana cables - partly because they were on sale, partly because I was curious, and partly because I like supporting those guys. Nirvana is the answer. Like one guy said (or maybe it was his wife) now everything sounds like music. Get the IC's as well as the speaker cable for proper synergy.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2012, 12:02 am »
I gather the technology is different on the 2 amps. If you have speakers that are easy enough to drive which is more musical, better midrange. Have Prue LPV 30.2 and love it and look forward to the sound of tubes.
Hi Zombie link. I've owned about every version of this amp. I began with Sig 30 for AKG K1000s many years ago. Along the line I hit, 30.2, 30.2 LFP-V, and now Sig 15. I'm using NOS tubes that Vinnie recommended, and they make a huge difference.

In the 30.2 prior to LFP-V days, I even had Vinnie convert my 30.2 Integrated to a straight amp (no integrated volume control) and owned an Isabella. But when the LFP-Vs came out, I "downsized" and went Isabellina HPA and 30.2 LFP-V.

Somewhere in there I got hooked on Omega single driver speakers (an easy transition from AKG K1000s), and eventually the K1000s were sold to help fund an updated set of Omegas and the Deep Hemp sub (Super 6 Monitors), and I've never looked back.

I will admit that I would absolutely LOVE to hear AKG K1000s on my Sig 15, I can only imagine!!!!

So what does that mean to you?...

If you are 30.2 prior to LFP-V, the move to the tube stage + LFP battery and a well chosen NOS tube will blow you away. This was a BIG step for RWA.

IMO there is no question that the Sig 15 has he ability to outrun the Sig 30.2 LFP-V, with the caveat that power is a consideration. To put it in context, a move from non-LFP-V to LFP-V is very big. The move from Sig 30.2 to Sig 15 was very positive, but incremental in comparison to going to LFP-V.

I listen near-field, small room, MANY GIK bass traps + panels for first reflection. My speakers are efficient at 93 @ 8 ohms, and what I hear is amazingly lifelike. And the sound many times exceeds what IMO most would expect at this price point.

I too use speltz-anti cable for speakers. I purchased mine in bulk, and did a soft twist in the wires (I have tried both twist vs no twist, for me the twist was best). The cable is a great price, but know it's like working with copper coat hangers -- a PITA. I don't remember the interconnect name off hand, but I bought a couple in the $300 - $500 range, and ended up with the copper (the one that did not make the cut was silver).

BTW: Once you get to a decent cable, chances are the biggest differences you will hear will be LFP-V first, the right NOS tube second, and cables third.

More on cables: Prior to embracing the less is more philosophy of RWA and Omega, I had a $900 Transparent Audio balanced interconnect, medium priced Audioquest bi-wire for speakers, etc. I even had the couple hundred dollar power cord for my Wadia CDP. As you might expect, the Wadia is long gone to be replaced by a Macbook --> USB --> RWA NOS DAC. Can you say musical?

But now most of my money is in gear, and very little goes to cables. And the interesting thing is I have removed complexity, gone to lesser expensive components, yet the sound has only gotten better. I attribute this to the manufactures I have chosen to work with.

And frankly, prior to getting in bed with RWA / Omega, I had never heard sound this good for this price. Bear in mind I'm a mid-50s audiophile, and much of what I've owned goes back as far as the late '70s (Audio Research / Magnaplaner anyone?). So I make no claims to have heard all the contemporary gear. But I will say that I have a good ear, and what I hear is pretty amazing.

As we speak Vinnie is upgrading my gear to include his new Pro DAC and some other goodies. I'll be back with more on that after break in.

My parting though: When you deal with a company like RWA (and Omega), you have access to the guy who designed the gear. In the past I got through to Richard Vandersteen, Charlie Hansen -- co-founder for Ayre, and the top sales guy at Wadia (John ?) when I wanted advise on gear I owned. But none of them compare to working with Vinnie or Louis at Omega...

If you want to know which amp or how much power for a given speaker / room, send an e-mail or pick up the phone. You will get a response. And based on my experience you will be getting very solid advice.

Good luck with your decision! K

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2012, 12:32 am »
...I'm going to add one more point. You ask which of the two amps is more musical / has better midrange. I'd have to go look for my original thread on impressions between the two amps, but by memory the two biggest differences I recall (Sig 30.2 LFP-V vs Sig 15):

Sig 15 highs are more extended with more air. Among all the good things the 30.2 does, I never felt that highs were its best feature. Sig 15 takes care of that with open and airy highs. Not a touch of hardness or grain either. Timbre and tone for woodwinds / violins / voice rank among the best I've been exposed to. This amp is absolutely amazing, assuming it is matched with appropriate speakers.

Mids again are very good. Back to my comments on Timbre, after decades away I'm back to playing live music, so I get a chance to hear instruments frequently. But put instruments aside, human voice is the one thing we can all relate to. Again, we have different rooms, different speakers, and I'm a big believer that positioning gear correctly in the room (and room treatments) is/are major to getting the absolute best sound. But IMO my Omegas reveal everything. If the amp is hard, you will know it, etc. Everyone that hears my system is blown away... not by volume, bass or anything else. They are blown away by how lifelike it sounds.

So yes, the Sig 15 has an edge over the Sig 30.2 LFP-V in mids / highs. I assume you've read recent reviews on the Sig 15? People like this amp. If it were $3000 or maybe more I still think they would like the amp. Purist design, Class A tubestage, LFP batteries... both amps are unique in the marketplace.

And lastly in terms of technology, yes they are different. Sig 15 output stage is Class A/B FET. The Sig 30.2 is Tripath (if I have the names right). Both use the same battery technology and the same Class A tube stage technology. So the differences we hear -- I would guess -- comes down to the output stage.

mrarroyo

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2012, 10:51 am »
Guys, you are not helping. I have a 30.2 LFPV driven by an Isabella LFPV with both DAC's and the balanced headphone out. Currently use the 30.2 to drive an AKG K1000 and a pair of small and old Minimus 7W in a near field configuration. Although I love the Minimus 7W specially since I have a very small listening station I realize they are my weakest link.

I am thinking of selling the 30.2 and get a power amp version of the Signagure 15 or possibly keep the 30.2 for the Minimus 7W and use the Signature 15 for the AKG K1000 if my listening space allowed it. Please stop tempting me with all this! ;)

BTW, any suggestions on very small speakers? Thanks.

CSI

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2012, 09:27 pm »
Hey, it's Christmas. You DESERVE a Signature 15!

mrarroyo

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2012, 12:42 am »
^ I am sure SWMBO would have a different opinion! ;)

BTW, a while back Vinnie suggested that for an small desk I could consider: http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-speaker-SuperZero-2-0 has any of you used or listened to them?