Elac B6 upgrade

Rusty Jefferson

Re: Elac B6 upgrade
« Reply #180 on: 12 Jan 2020, 04:11 pm »
Theoretically, it's the sphere in space with a full range driver. In practice, it's an Egg shape.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.soundonsound.com/reviews/se-electronics-munro-egg-150%3famp

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #181 on: 12 Jan 2020, 04:26 pm »
Theoretically, it's the sphere in space with a full range driver. In practice, it's an Egg shape.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.soundonsound.com/reviews/se-electronics-munro-egg-150%3famp

Very well said and a nice example you have there. It's the reason my speakers use a large Oblate Spheroidal Waveguide along with heavily rounded over (2 inch radii) front baffle edges. Super smooth looking and very audible, especially at higher SPL levels. Unfortunately, it is expensive too.

Best,
Anand.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #182 on: 12 Jan 2020, 05:43 pm »
It's not necessarily a great speaker, but it's a good one, as was the Waveform Mach 17 model that used an Egg shaped enclosure. It's  a shame neither company caught on. The shape is the important part to reduce diffraction.  A designer still has a lot to do to design the rest of a great speaker though.  :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #183 on: 12 Jan 2020, 07:56 pm »
Danny,

Can you think of any examples of bookshelf/stand two cabinets you have seen that won't have this 3K dip?

Thank you,

David.

There are plenty out there that are flat in that region, but in the off axis everything else drops off except that spot.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #184 on: 13 Jan 2020, 01:04 am »
It's not necessarily a great speaker, but it's a good one, as was the Waveform Mach 17 model that used an Egg shaped enclosure. It's  a shame neither company caught on. The shape is the important part to reduce diffraction.  A designer still has a lot to do to design the rest of a great speaker though.  :D

The Waveform Mach 17 was exactly the speaker I was thinking of when I saw that link.

Best,
Anand.

DaveFred

« Reply #185 on: 13 Jan 2020, 02:47 am »
There are plenty out there that are flat in that region, but in the off axis everything else drops off except that spot.

And the only remedy to that is a *wide* baffle or waveguide?

Thank you,

David.

Danny Richie

« Reply #186 on: 13 Jan 2020, 01:48 pm »
And the only remedy to that is a *wide* baffle or waveguide?

Thank you,

David.

A small rounded baffle or wave guide.

rudawear

« Reply #187 on: 13 Jan 2020, 03:54 pm »
I just finished up the level 2 mod and figured I'd post some pics of it.

Here is the all new crossover.

For those of you that ordered this upgrade please see the way the parts are laid out.

The tube connectors installed easily. I also added a jumper from the tube connectors down to the old binding posts so that either or can be used. What I like about this is that it allows you to A/B the difference between the connectors so that you can hear how much difference the tube connectors make.

And here is how it looks with them installed.

And here is a shot of the crossovers installed and the cabinets lined with No Rez.

I also laid in just a little bit of fiberglass insulation on the back wall and over the crossover.

They are now together and burning in. I'll give listening impressions in a few days.

Hi,

I live in France and recently i bought B6.
While searching on google, I came across this post. The level 2 mod interests me and I would like to know if you still offer the KIT

P.S: Sorry for my english thank you google translate or not ;)

Danny Richie

« Reply #188 on: 14 Jan 2020, 04:00 am »

Hi,

I live in France and recently i bought B6.
While searching on google, I came across this post. The level 2 mod interests me and I would like to know if you still offer the KIT

P.S: Sorry for my english thank you google translate or not ;)

Sure, I can send you all of that. I'll need to chop up the No Rez into four pieces to get the dimensional weight down to where the postal service can handle it and then no problem.

$290 plus shipping. I'll have to get it weighed to get a total with shipping, but I'm guessing it to be about $90 in shipping.

rudawear

« Reply #189 on: 16 Jan 2020, 08:15 pm »

Sure, I can send you all of that. I'll need to chop up the No Rez into four pieces to get the dimensional weight down to where the postal service can handle it and then no problem.

$290 plus shipping. I'll have to get it weighed to get a total with shipping, but I'm guessing it to be about $90 in shipping.

OK for me ;)

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #190 on: 4 Feb 2020, 10:39 pm »
Danny, have you had a chance to measure & come up with a mod kit for the B6.2 yet?

Danny Richie

« Reply #191 on: 6 Feb 2020, 05:33 pm »
Danny, have you had a chance to measure & come up with a mod kit for the B6.2 yet?

No, no one has sent a pair of those in yet.

maty

« Reply #192 on: 31 Mar 2020, 04:37 pm »
YouTube Elac Debut 2.0 Upgrades and Modifications!

Red: original

Green: new crossover by Danny Richie

tubav

« Reply #193 on: 1 Apr 2020, 08:20 pm »
I'm assuming the newest Elac upgrade is the B6.2. I would be interested in Danny's comparison between the two upgraded versions, the B6 vs. the B6.2. Which does he feel is most successful or about the same. I'm currently listening to the original B6 which have no-rez, beauty ring mods, and damped woofer frames. I have not done the crossover/redesigned crossover mod. The rolled off top end does not bother me.  Just wondering. Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #194 on: 1 Apr 2020, 08:49 pm »
I'm assuming the newest Elac upgrade is the B6.2. I would be interested in Danny's comparison between the two upgraded versions, the B6 vs. the B6.2. Which does he feel is most successful or about the same. I'm currently listening to the original B6 which have no-rez, beauty ring mods, and damped woofer frames. I have not done the crossover/redesigned crossover mod. The rolled off top end does not bother me.  Just wondering. Thanks.

With the upgrades the newer 6.2 should be a pretty nice speaker.

panosvel

« Reply #195 on: 1 Apr 2020, 11:55 pm »
With the upgrades the newer 6.2 should be a pretty nice speaker.
Hi Danny. In your opinion how does the upgraded Elac B6.2 compare to the X-LS encore?

Danny Richie

« Reply #196 on: 4 Apr 2020, 09:45 pm »
Hi Danny. In your opinion how does the upgraded Elac B6.2 compare to the X-LS encore?

All things being equal and using the same quality of parts gets them close, but the X-LS Encore still has better drivers and will still out perform it across the board.

But of all of the upgrades I've done lately this one might just be the best yet. This little Elac, with the upgrades, comes up to a pretty high level.

maty

« Reply #197 on: 22 Jun 2020, 07:56 pm »

dma6680

« Reply #198 on: 10 Aug 2020, 04:20 pm »
Hi Danny, I improved the first level for Elac B6, there are too many high frequencies, you can do a little less, can I use a capacitor of less capacity or a resistor with less impedance and without a capacitor?

Danny Richie

« Reply #199 on: 11 Aug 2020, 11:08 pm »
Hi Danny, I improved the first level for Elac B6, there are too many high frequencies, you can do a little less, can I use a capacitor of less capacity or a resistor with less impedance and without a capacitor?

If you are looking to soften the top end on the stock network then increase the value of the 22 ohm resistor slightly.