dumb question about resistor across output jack

louie3

dumb question about resistor across output jack
« on: 19 May 2009, 09:34 pm »
I have a TVC which has the back panel mislabled.  The output jacks are actually the input jacks.   And the input jacks are actually the output jacks (to the amps).   Figured this out, now have normal volume control.   BUT!!!!   The output jacks now have a resistor across the jack.

Is this the right place for a shunt?

Doesn't the value and quality of this resistor impact the sound?

Definitely not one of Mr. Chapman's products...thought I would try this before taking the plunge.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Louie

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: dumb question about resistor across output jack
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2009, 10:09 pm »
Hello!

Yikes.... Maybe give a call and we can piece together just what you have there.  I have never installed a resistor across the inputs or outputs that I can recall...... I can only take a wild guess that it was meant to optimize the load the TVC sees - it would make a difference both value and quality wise but there is at least some chance you'd be just as well off snipping it out of there.

I'll be in the shop here all day tomorrow - feel free to call at 604-538-9812.

Thansk!

John

louie3

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2009, 11:08 pm »
Well, FWIW, it sounds audibly more transparent without the resistor...and it was not bad before.   

In some pro audio gear there are resistors across jacks to stop pops when plugging things in...other than that who knows?

It would have been on the input side if the thing had been set up correctly.

I do hate to badmouth this thing because it sounds soooooo much more transparent than the linestage I was using before, which was, trust me, no slouch.

Thanks again for your help.

Louie

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2009, 11:52 pm »
Hello!

Problem solved. Glad it sounds good without them in there. I kinda expected that would be the case.

Thanks!

John

louie3

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2009, 11:41 pm »
Mr. Chapman...spent most of the afternoon listening to music...I am hearing things I have never heard before in this system.

Thank you again for your help last night.   I have started putting money aside to buy one of your TVC kits, although if it is demonstrably better than my little Chinese friend, it will be almost frightening.

Here's something I find interesting.   I use long interconnects from the preamp to the amps (Classe' DR8 monos).   I made a pair of IC's using stranded silver two conductor shielded cable that was originally made up for use in the space shuttle.   With my Audio Research linestage it sounded pretty bad.

With the TVC it sounds pretty good.

Interesting....I can't help but think about all the parts the signal goes through in an active linestage, no matter how good it might be...the elimination of all the parts has to be a good thing if the system works.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Louie