subs for Songbirds

Richard in Idaho

subs for Songbirds
« on: 19 Dec 2020, 05:04 pm »
I have had Songbirds  for some time and love them. I would like to extend the bass some what.   While I do play TV sound on them the  reason I have them is music. The sub out on my receiver does not work.  Don't ask. I have been looking at Rel T/7i, T/9i subs. These  do not go to the very bottom of bass HZ. So I has wondering these would help the Songbirds much. I also looked at Rythmik F12 and SVS SB1000.  I am very much limited on space.

Thanks for your thoughts.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
Re: subs for Songbirds
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2020, 05:50 pm »
I have the Rythmik LVX12 and a pair of REL T5i's. I use the Rythmik in a room more for movies but do listen to music sometimes there. It's currently being used with Salk Song3's. It's a great sub. I use the REL T5i's with some Clearwave Duet6 monitors. I was talking to Jim about building some Rythmik based 8" sealed subs because I like the Rythmik so much. However before doing that I had an acquaintance selling a T5i so I tried it because my Rythmik is too big for my 2-channel area. I was really impressed. So much so that I got a second one. It's obviously a different animal than the Rythmik. I usually don't even use subs for 2-channel, but it blended so well and easily. It's very detailed, fast and punchy. Obviously doesn't go super deep but unless you're listening to electronic music a lot it's deep enough for me. And, if you can fit a T7i or bigger it will go deeper. I'm not saying REL is better than Rythmik, but I love all of my subs so I think its more of a right tool for the right job situation and you can't go wrong either way. The Rythmik is also fast and tight and I'm a fan of servo subs. I do think the REL is a bit more "musical" in that it has a bit more detail and seems to match the speaker's tone, but that could also be the setup in that I'm using the high pass connection on the RELs vs. through a surround processor on the Rythmik. You can always contact Jim and have him build a Rythmik based sub that will match your SB's. Enjoy.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2020, 09:51 pm »
For music the REL Ti are an excellent choice.

Richard in Idaho

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2020, 05:23 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts.

ullogu1

« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2020, 01:21 pm »
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but what are some thoughts about 2 REL Tzero Mkiii vs one REL T5i?

My room is 10ft x 18ft

TIA

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2020, 07:33 pm »
I prefer 2 subs over 1, but it depends on how much extension you want. I listened to a REL t-zero or whatever the model is, and it would be great under my desk in nearfield, but not in my listening room. Maybe the latest design is better and having 2 helps. If you have the room though I'd just get 1 T5i and patiently look for a used one. I bought both of mine used for about $800 total.