Conversation starter - What chair do you use for critical listening?

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
 jnschneyer:
Thanks for your comments. You covered all of the points I was concerned about. Just did not look comfortable.

aniwolfe:
Again, thanks for the video. I did contact Eternity Modern about their 1 to 1 replica Eames lounger. They have a strange business model.
The first thing you can't order from their website unless you live in Canada. Second, they will ship to usa but they immediately inform you that it will cost another $150. Not sure if that's for shipping or what. They never explained it. Third, I wanted a final cost which I have yet to receive. Although I did receive a request to rate the service I had with their sales rep.
If it is this difficult to purchase something I really don't need it. Hopefully anyone else that wants to purchase from them will have a better experience.

The search continues!

Mr. Big

Hi, I ordered my chair direct from their site and I am in VA.

Bob2

Good to hear that. Was that recently?

Bob2

Just went to their website. Cannot actually order because there is no option to ship anywhere but Canada....
Am I missing something?

jnschneyer

jnschneyer:
Thanks for your comments. You covered all of the points I was concerned about. Just did not look comfortable.

To be fair, I sat in the OG Barcelona a couple of times and it was quite comfortable.  It was only for a few moments in a store each time, but the difference between it and the knockoff was noticeable, immediate, and substantial.  I'm still not sure it would be the ideal, if there is a such a thing, listening chair, but it was well-made, elegant, and very comfortable.  It was also, with the ottoman, around $8K.  I'm not at all averse to paying whatever something costs, assuming I can afford it.  That is the sad caveat.  However, if you can afford the real thing, I wouldn't rule it out.  If I were going to pay that much for a chair, it would be the Eames chair.  Someone else on here commented that the Eames chair is for midgets.  I guess that makes me a 6 foot midget, as I've spent a considerable amount of time in one and found it exceedingly comfortable.  I don't know, but it may be that the Eames knockoffs, of which there are many (I think Ron of New Record Day on YT even has a video in praise of his), are closer to the mark than my Barcelona was.  Also, there's another guy on YT, Mikey of OCD Hi-Fi Guy, who reps a chair that he likes, or at least sells - I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he does in fact like it - that's on his website, which looks to be a species of modern-ish recliner that goes for $2,300 or so.  Might be worth a look.  I love making plans for other people's money.  Good luck.

Josh   

ACHiPo

Mayo chair in Monte Cristo Dune with matching ottoman.

It's considered a chair, however I can scootch over a make room for two.  :inlove:
This is great. Would like to find something similar.  Unfortunately there are no dealers close by.

Mr. Big

Just went to their website. Cannot actually order because there is no option to ship anywhere but Canada....
Am I missing something?

I just tried the site to ship to me in VA. Went through fine with no alert saying they only ship to Canada.

Order Summary
ITEM IN CART
EM Coffee Table Solid American Walnut
EM Coffee Table
Qty1
$1,099.00
30 available for backorder. Lead time 10-12 weeks to warehouse
VIEW DETAILS
BaseSolid American Walnut
Cart Subtotal   $1,099.00
Discount (SLEEP)   -$109.90
Shipping
Standard - Curbside Delivery
$159.00
Tax   $59.34
Order Total   $1,207.44

Bob2

"I just tried the site to ship to me in VA. Went through fine with no alert saying they only ship to Canada."

Thanks for the info and glad you had no problems.
What I'm seeing is the link I posted is for Canadian orders only. Didn't realize there is a USA site.
That I can order from......... Unfortunately, they do not list the chair.  :scratch:

I think I'll order one from Herman Miller.

Thanks again for your help!!

mick wolfe

The discussion on this topic motivated me to get a new chair. I chose the Ikea Poang chair, but Ikea will not ship to my location so I ended up paying about 50% over the retail price from a third party seller. Not happy about that, but the closest Ikea store is a 4 and 1/2 hour drive from my location and by the time I factor in the cost of gasoline, time, and travel risk it was better just to order from the third party seller. I would like to get the matching Ikea Poang ottoman stool, but Ikea will not ship that either and the ones I have found on-line from third party sellers is over 100% above the retail price.

You might also try Wayfair or even Amazon in your search. Might find something that will match up quite well with the Poang.

mick wolfe

Poangs are so common, I would bet the ottoman could be found used via Facebook, Craigslist, etc without too much trouble.  What part of the country/zip code do you live?  I have at least one, if not two, of the ottomans I wouldn't mind parting with.

Even that big green leather guy?  :scratch:

Tangram

I consider the listening chair a component of my system. Previously I had a loveseat that was comfortable for short periods but didn't support my lower back properly for longer listening sessions.

I bought one of these a couple of years ago. Ekornes Stressless Admiral. Norwegian. Company has been around for decades. The headrest is adjustable. In the lowest position, it is a couple of inches below my ears. Incredibly well-crafted and comfortable.

genjamon

Even that big green leather guy?  :scratch:

Ha, no that guy stayed in my basement in Tucson for the new buyers to deal with   :lol:

fridays

I consider the listening chair a component of my system. Previously I had a loveseat that was comfortable for short periods but didn't support my lower back properly for longer listening sessions.

I bought one of these a couple of years ago. Ekornes Stressless Admiral. Norwegian. Company has been around for decades. The headrest is adjustable. In the lowest position, it is a couple of inches below my ears. Incredibly well-crafted and comfortable.

Beautiful and comfortable chair