Bought a new camera with questions

stlrman

Re: Bought a new camera with questions
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2019, 03:09 pm »
and buy a cheap 50 MM fast lens!!  1.8 they are sharp, fast and very cheap!!

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-STM-Lens/dp/B00X8MRBCW

buy a flash to put on the shoe mount eventually. look on ebay at a 430 EX

Early B.

« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2019, 03:52 pm »
Yes very sharp image. I was on full auto, I will try to break the cord.

Also note that stlrman's image has a clean background. The background shouldn't be cluttered because it will distract the viewer from the main subject. 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2019, 04:56 pm »
Well I was impressed with this early shot I took this morning just playing around on auto.     :popcorn:

How close were you to the cat? The slight softness could be because you were too close. Even at minimum focus distance, often enough lenses need a little more space. Or you could have the same issue I had for some time - I was using Ai Assist (I think that’s what it’s called) for my AF mode. Go to One Shot. Servo is good too if you’re tracking a faster moving object. That Ai Assist is a blend of the two that never gave me sharp anything.

I hate to say get out of full auto, but there are too many things you can’t change in full auto - file size and type, focus select points, AF drive, white balance, etc.

Try Tv, set shutter speed at a little higher than the zoom length, one shot. See if that helps. 

SET Man

« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2019, 01:51 am »
Well I just bought a new to me camera, my budget was only $300 clams. I bought a "kit camera" and now wondering if its just a toy?? or i am over my head.  I only want to do recreational pics so not looking for professional results but still hoping I wont be disappointed.

I must admit I didnt do much research, I have an affinity toward Cannon and just kinda went up the line where I could afford a used camera.

So without any further ado I picked up a Canon Rebel T5i with 18-55mm lens. I also snagged  55-250mm Telephoto lens to do some outside work.

Will this baby keep a budding photographer busy for 5 yrs ??

Thanks for any input, arrives in a few days.  :popcorn:

Hey!

First congratulation on your new camera and lenses  :D I skim through here and there are some good advices here. And yes it is definitely more than a toy, and for most people this would more of a camera than they need.

I started in photography with film and you have no idea if you got the picture or not until you get it back from the lab or after you developed the film. But today getting started in photography these days is easier with digital camera because you get instant feedback.

And here's my $0.02 on this. Learn all the features your camera have, try them out go out take some pictures and see what work best for you. Than learn how to control aperture, shutter speed and ISO. But don't get hung up on too much on technical terms too much, or buy more lenses, the best way to learn is to just go out and take some pictures and have fun!

By the way, talk about toy camera. This is the toy camera, my Diana camera. Here's link to my album of this camera and pictures I took with it on Flickr...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk17zo2j

A fun and quirky camera. I do enjoy using it and like that soft dreamy pictures I got from this little plastic fantastic camera. Anyway, sorry for being off topic a bit.

Buddy

PS

Cute cat there  :D

Nick77

« Reply #24 on: 16 May 2019, 04:56 am »
Thank you! Yes it took me 2 sec to realize this is no toy, and that keeps ringing true.

I am just taking one step at a time, thanks for sharing.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2019, 02:16 pm »
Send me your email in a PM.   I've been teaching community ed photo courses for 30 years.   I can send you my class handouts; think of them as a concise, plain-english owner's manual. Where are you located?