« Reply #1180 on: 28 Nov 2013, 04:57 pm »
Thanks Jack.  It is cold weather again.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #1181 on: 9 Apr 2014, 03:26 am »
I just broke my '09 Trek Remedy in Moab last weekend, looks like I will get a discount on a '14 Slash 9.  :thumb:

The new Slash looks amazing and is getting great reviews, I'm stoked!  :green:

JoshK

« Reply #1182 on: 9 Apr 2014, 01:05 pm »
Broke how?  Frame?  Not under warranty?

Congrats on the new ride if you go that route.

jackman

« Reply #1183 on: 9 Apr 2014, 01:32 pm »
Congrats on the new ride, but we've got to see some pictures!  Also, if you are the original owner, and the damage was not caused by a wreck, or negligence, the frame should be covered by a lifetime warrantee.  I'm hoping my old CF Trek road bike explodes so I can get a warrantee replacement. :thumb:

Lots of guys in my riding group have purchased Fat Bikes and I'm trying to fight the temtation.  Looking at a 650 wheel bike sometime this summer. It's good to see green grass and trails, versus snow and ice!

Cheers,

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1184 on: 9 Apr 2014, 03:26 pm »
It was a stress crack at the st/tt junction, and yes, I have a lifetime warranty on the bike!

My choices were either a '13 Slash frame in 26", custom paint since they don't actually have matched parts to make a complete frame and the '14 frames are not available.... they were going to make up for it by throwing in the required shock, which is not usually replaced for free.

Or a $2k discount on a Slash 9. They started with an $1.1k discount and I told them if it was going to be $1.1k I want it in cash so I can go buy a Nomad.  :lol:

The new Slash looks amazing, trail bike geometry has now fully matured into being exactly the same as DH bike geometry was a few years ago... of course better seated pedaling position and much different suspension, but the new Slash and Nomad have almost EXACTLY the same geometry as my '09 Trek Session 88, which is probably the best bike I have ever been on... and I have tried out newer Carbon V10s, Demos, etc.

I will hear today when I will get the bike, Trek is sold out but I might be able to get one from a shop, even though it's no longer Trek corporation's property... I hope they can work that out so I don't have to wait... I will post pics when I get it.

I'm not sold on fatbikes, idk... looks like fun but not sure how much I'd actually ride one.

vortrex

« Reply #1185 on: 9 Apr 2014, 04:00 pm »
I just got a fatbike and haven't ridden my 18.5lb mega dollar carbon Scott since.  The fatbike is so much fun.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1186 on: 9 Apr 2014, 05:14 pm »
Well, I go to pick up my new Slash this afternoon!

vortrex, where and what kind of terrain do you ride your fatbike?  Seems like most guys around here use them as an alternative to xc skis...

vortrex

« Reply #1187 on: 9 Apr 2014, 05:39 pm »
XC singletrack in Michigan.  I got it right at the end of winter, so only got to ride it 3 times in the snow.  I see myself riding it a lot this summer instead of the Scott.  I rode it last weekend on the dirt and it was great.

LadyDog

« Reply #1188 on: 10 Apr 2014, 02:33 am »
Fat Bikes - If you have real use for one, not sure there is anything better.  Imo, it is centered around terrain that no other type of bike could negotiate. 

They, like any other bike, have a directed use.  For many people, it has/will open-up a whole new season for one to get out of the house on days they'd never dream of taking any other bike of its hook.

Certainly fun too.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1189 on: 10 Apr 2014, 02:38 am »
The new Slash is awesome... 28-29 lbs, DH bike geometry, pedals incredibly efficiently. Will blow off work for trail ride tomorrow, and I will post pics.

The 27.5" wheels are noticeable just rolling down the street... they don't feel clownish like a 29er, but are def bigger than 26.

I would be down to try out a fatbike, it does seem to have some potential!

JoshK

« Reply #1190 on: 10 Apr 2014, 01:28 pm »
Apart from sand and snow, there are a number of guys here in Ontario that have reported that fatbikes are awesome in the really rocky trails (including whalebacks) we have here.   They have a tendency to float over the babyheads, boulders and whalebacks easier than traditional wheels. 

vortrex

« Reply #1191 on: 10 Apr 2014, 03:38 pm »
I run 5 psi in my 4.8" tires.  Will probably drop the front down to about 3 psi.  It's great on the rough stuff.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1192 on: 11 Apr 2014, 12:39 am »
Got in a ride, this bike is magic. Unbelievable performance in every situation. I rode the ride I did today dozens of times over the years and this was certainly the fastest I ever went, and not by just a little bit. It's a pretty big bike with a long wheelbase, low bottom bracket and 65 degree head angle, but only comes to 29.25 lbs and is amazingly efficient. The biggest problem I had was remembering to brake harder approaching corners because I was carrying so much more speed into them.  :icon_twisted:

santacore

« Reply #1193 on: 5 May 2014, 08:25 pm »
I'm interested in replacing my Gary Fisher Sugar that's a little too big for me. Looking for something in the 17-18" range. Prefer full suspension and disc brakes. Any suggestions for new or used under $1500? Any members looking to sell a bike that fits that description? Thanks. John

stlrman

« Reply #1194 on: 5 May 2014, 11:25 pm »
Dave, sweet Trek!  What model is that? What's the price? Looks like a blast to ride!
Todd

stlrman

« Reply #1195 on: 6 May 2014, 02:08 pm »
Anybody know what model this bike is?
Thanks

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1196 on: 6 May 2014, 04:30 pm »
I just got back from Moab and Grand Junction, the riding was really good, my friend and I entered an enduro race on Saturday in Moab...  :green:   Enduro is an emerging format where you ride a fairly big ride, in this case over 17 miles, and you are timed on selected sections that are mostly downhill and usually very difficult.

stlrman, the bike is a Trek Slash 9 which goes for about $5800. It is basically a downhill bike with a little less suspension and more favorable pedaling position. It's complete overkill for most trails, but if you are into very difficult trails that get very steep and have jumps and drop-offs then it is a good bike to have.

If you are looking at bikes nothing beats demo rides, you should ride the bike in the environment that matters most to you, whether it is bike paths or singletrack trails...  and you DO NOT need to spend $5800, this bike was a warranty replacement so I paid much less than retail and was a deal I worked out with Trek, I ride it at least a couple times a week if not more so it is the hobby I am willing to spend the most on, or about equal to audio anyways...  :green:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #1197 on: 26 May 2014, 01:48 am »

I like your new ride Dave, congrats.

There is a contest going on Pinkbike called "Intense For Life". My son made a video of his friends and is one of the 6 finalists. It's the third video down and has a big CV in the top right corner. His new logo. Check it out, it's pretty good. You can even vote for it down the page.

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/sexley/blog/time-to-vote-an-intense-experience-at-silver-star-bike-park.html

Rocket_Ronny

coke

« Reply #1198 on: 27 May 2014, 12:54 pm »
Here's a pic of my new Specialized Fatboy next to my Rip 9.  I've been wanting to try something different  :lol:

So far I'm really enjoying it.  The ride is somewhere between a rigid and fs bike, which is exactly what I was wanted.   Also, I live in Oklahoma, so this will primarily be used on rocky trails and see very little snow.

coke

« Reply #1199 on: 8 Aug 2014, 02:14 pm »
I've really been enjoying the fatboy.  It's becoming my primary bike, so I've decided to upgrade a few things. I hope to have it finished this weekend.  Here's the parts I have for it.

Fork - Rockshox Bluto
Wheels (to run tubeless) - Sun Ringle MuleFut Rims & Hope Fatsno Hubs built by Mike Curiak
Bars - Niner Carbon
Seatpost - KS Lev
Seat - WTB Rocket V SLT
Shifter - XTR (10spd)
Derailleur - XT
Cassette - XT
Chain - XT
Chain ring - race face 30 narrow-wide
Brakes - BB7
Grips - Lizard Skins
Pedals - Canfield Ultimate Crampon

My next challenge will be to figure out what to do with all the leftover parts.  If I can find a decent deal on a frame, I may build another bike  :duh: