Alexia II vs VR-55

SundayNiagara

Alexia II vs VR-55
« on: 5 Dec 2017, 01:07 am »
I attended a Wilson Demo this past Friday afternoon/evening, featuring the Alexia II.

Just curious as to how they compare to the similarly priced VR-55s?

Electronics were DCS front end and D'Agostino Progression amp/preamp & Nordost cables.

Wilson's Peter McGrath was there with his master recordings.

Mighty good. :)

gammajo

Re: Alexia II vs VR-55
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2017, 02:37 am »
I personally have preferred the VR55 by large margin over the Wilson pairings that I have heard, though paired by D'Agostino  the Wilsons did indeed sound quite good. I heard them with Esoteric front end I think.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2017, 03:17 pm »
The McGrath/D'Agostino road show is in progress, recently performing here.  Pairing electronics is so critical.  I've only found Constellation amps capable of bringing out the best in Wilson speakers in all my years attending shows and at disappearing brick & mortar stores.  That said, one of the key designers for the Constellation gear is the famed, Bascom King.  Bascom was commissioned by PS Audio's Paul McGowen to build an amp, worthy of putting his name on.  See youtube.com BHK Signature 300 Mono Amps that combine a tube front end with SS.  Bascom, Paul and Arnie Nudell discuss the benefits of the design layout and build.  Coincidently, i'm using the BHK amps with my VR55's to great effect.  If you can find a dealer nearby, ck out the BHK amps/preamp, from PSAudio.  Von Schweikert Audio speakers are Wilson/Magico killers!

SundayNiagara

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2017, 03:30 pm »
Since the speakers are similarly priced, I am hoping to see a comparison and NOT which electronics to pair them with.

I've never been a big fan of Wilson, but NO ONE in the business can demo like Peter McGrath. In most cases he recorded the performances he uses.

gammajo

« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2017, 03:44 pm »
Sunday - in an effort to be help all I am saying is that I have heard Wilsons and VSA each with about a dozen diverse quality amplification systems, but never in the same system with just the speakers changed.  To my taste each time I have heard VSA they produced a more natural music enjoyment, and both brands have improved over time.
JAB - I talked to Paul McGowen about his impressions of your system and specifically the VR55s and he was highly complementary of your sound.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2017, 01:54 am »
The only time I’ve heard the Alexia 1’s they were paired with the DAgastino (sp) monos and I couldn’t get out of the room fast enough...blood loss thru the ears  :D

SundayNiagara

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2017, 04:01 pm »
The only time I’ve heard the Alexia 1’s they were paired with the DAgastino (sp) monos and I couldn’t get out of the room fast enough...blood loss thru the ears  :D

Get out and hear the Alexia IIs, even if only to hear Peter's demo. :)