Will the Two.2 prefer 4 or 16 ohm?

dewar

Will the Two.2 prefer 4 or 16 ohm?
« on: 11 Feb 2011, 10:30 am »
I'm building some speakers and have have two wiring options for the drivers. They'll be about 98db efficient with a 15" bellow and some padded down horns up top. My concerns are for mid range transparency (if there be any difference here) and bass dampening (more than SPL as I dont listen too loud)

Do tripath chips have much of a preference?

Cheers
B

Jack Caldwell

Re: Will the Two.2 prefer 4 or 16 ohm?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2011, 06:23 pm »
Hi, the Virtue amps (including the Two.2) are not like most Tripath implementations, they are configured to be able to drive double the current.

The result is that the Two.2 effortlessly powers my 3.3 Ohm speakers, especially when used with a 24V/10 Amp battery supply. Tremendous output and hard to get it to clip before the ears start bleeding.

However, same amp w 24V supply into 8 ohms doesn't have nearly the same output level before it runs into clipping. It's a little better with a 30V supply, but it just doesn't have the same drive and grunt as into 4 Ohms.

Subjectively, I think the Two.2 actually sounds better into lower loads, pretty much across the board. YMMV, but I'm betting you'd be happier with the 4 Ohm load.

dewar

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2011, 09:56 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

I'll be using the Dodd battery ps, wonder how that stacks up in the bass department?

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2011, 04:45 am »
i agree with Jack the 4 ohm load would be the way to go, the speakers I built are also below 4ohms and my Two.2 doesnt mind the load at all.

I'm running a 24V battery supply that I built using 12AH batteries.
I think the batteries provide better bass on demand than most psu's do.

Jack Caldwell

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:10 am »
Yep, have to agree on the battery vs PSU, it's a huge plus to use the battery. Much better bass, and the mids and highs too!

dewar

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2011, 11:24 pm »
Thanks guys.

One more question: how many Virtue amps can one run off a single Dodd battery PS?
I might end up with two Two.2's and some M5001 monoblocks.

Cheers

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2011, 11:47 pm »
only one.
the 12ah batteries I'm using will run 2 amps.
I wouldn't recommend going any smaller than that for 2 amps.
if the load your running is very light at low to med volumes then the 5ah Dodd supply should be ok

dewar

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2011, 04:43 am »
Thanks Jason. To clarify, a single 5ah will drive two Two.2 if used for mids and a tweeters, both 115db/W?

For the ICE monoblocks, I havent seen any mention of anyone using battery power for them, but it could be done, with its own dedicated PS? Would 12ah offer much advantage over 5ah?

Cheers
B

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2011, 05:19 am »
ICE has integral power.  No battery option there.