Switching from tubes to Cherry -- benefits

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: Switching from tubes to Cherry -- benefits
« Reply #20 on: 6 Nov 2019, 08:20 pm »
Honestly... I’d say every move has the potential to change the sound... including angling in out up down and moving further apart and together.. as well moving out from walls. For some speakers, the tweaking can result in big changes... for others not so much... the room usually matters a lot as part of the final tuning.
It definitely makes a huge difference with Magnepan 1.7i speakers, especially the distance from the back wall.

I use REW and a calibrated mic to get an idea of the results, and moving the listening position usually makes as much of a difference (or more) as moving the speakers.

SET Man

« Reply #21 on: 8 Nov 2019, 03:55 am »
I know this much, these amps are far better than all of the SET amps I have tried over the years.

Buddy, I dare you to try a Maraschino. I bet it will blow your mind. It will mark a turning point in your audio journey.  :wink:

Hey!

I see, is Maraschino the amp you are using regularly in your system right now?

My audio journey is pretty done. I've heard so many systems over the years, both in stores, shows and in some of AC members home. And I've tried a few audio pieces from local members here who were kind enough to loan them to me to try. Well, at the end of the day, I have no problem coming home to my system. Yes, I've heard some systems that better than my system, but not in every way. I know there are flaws in my system but those flaws doesn't bother me, the strengths of my system out weighted the flaws to me.

But sure! If someone in here NYC area have Marachino and kind enough to loan it to me to try for a few days. I will give it a shot, if I like it than I might have to get one. If not then well... I don't know back to enjoy music on my old system I guess.

Buddy

RonN5

« Reply #22 on: 8 Nov 2019, 03:32 pm »
Last night I was at a concert...not quite an orchestra...mostly brass woodwinds, percussion, piano, stand up bass...about 100 pieces in all.  My seats were about 20 rows back, center and at about stage level.  The music was an amalgamation of classics including Harlem Nocturne, Anchors Aweigh, Malaguena, and Seventy-Six Trombones...to name a few.

The sound was really good, which led me to trying to describe what I was hearing...the words that really seemed to fit were...."clarity, power, dynamic, captivating, and this is kind of strange...perfect tone...instruments sounded right".  Never once would I have used or even thought of words like "harsh, soundstage, definition, accuracy, euphonic, and frequency response".

Let's face it, it is really hard to reproduce the live music sound in our homes.  Usually, the room screws with the sound and after trying multiple speakers, multiple locations, room treatments, and different electronics...we maybe find something that sounds good....to us...but it is usually not the same as live music....but it is probably enjoyable none the less.

I'm fortunate...I have a pretty good room which makes the speaker part of the equation a little easier.  It wasn't until I put the 2Cherry in my system that I began to realize how important clarity, tonal accuracy and powerful dynamics were actually producing a more lifelike sound....and in my case, a more lifelike sound with clarity and tone is more enjoyable than anything I have achieved to date.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 9 Nov 2019, 07:34 pm »
Hey!

I see, is Maraschino the amp you are using regularly in your system right now?

Yes indeed! After a series of SET amps EL34, EL84, KT88, 2A3, 300b etc the Maraschino’s (small mono blocks) are the only amps I use in my system.  :D :D   I get all the SET benefits and goodness without any of the SET setbacks.  :thumb:

I’ve been using these amps - exclusively - for over two years now and I have zero interest in returning to tube amplification.  :green:

SET Man

« Reply #24 on: 9 Nov 2019, 07:39 pm »
Yes indeed! After a series of SET amps EL34, EL84, KT88, 2A3, 300b etc the Maraschino’s (small mono blocks) are the only amps I use in my system.  :D :D   I get all the SET benefits and goodness without any of the SET setbacks.  :thumb:

I’ve been using these amps - exclusively - for over two years now and I have zero interest in returning to tube amplification.  :green:

Hey!

Well, good for you and congratulation.

Buddy

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 9 Nov 2019, 08:06 pm »
Thank you, Buddy. I hope someday your ears get a taste of 21 century technology. What the iPhone is to a rotary phone, the Maraschino is to tubes.  :wink:

SET Man

« Reply #26 on: 9 Nov 2019, 08:50 pm »
Thank you, Buddy. I hope someday your ears get a taste of 21 century technology. What the iPhone is to a rotary phone, the Maraschino is to tubes.  :wink:

Hey!

I have some, but just didn't work out. I'll go back to my old early 20th Century techs system for now. Again congratulation on your system. And I will now leave this thread for good.

Buddy

PS

I don't have rotary phone but I do have a 1902 Victor Type E Talking Machine, it is a beauty. It is a hoot to listen to acoustical recording 78 of Enrico Caruso's "La donna e mobile" from 1908 on it.

Freo-1

« Reply #27 on: 9 Nov 2019, 09:45 pm »
Couple of thoughts:

1) I have had much the same type of revelation using Devialet Expert amps as reported with the Cherry amps.   The fact that the DAC is integrated into the amp is part of the reason for this success.  If one owns a speaker supported by speaker active matching, further improvement ca also be realized.

2) Regarding speakers, the speaker types optimized for tube playback can wind up sounding "better" with tube amplification than any SS amp.  Granted, with the vast majority of speakers, the extra power provided by the SS amp will improve playback, but not always.   

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2019, 08:12 pm »
I don't know that tube vs solid state is the right question. I would ask it this way:

Switching to "Digital Amplifier Company" -- benefits:
1. etc

I have not tried your amps but it is clear from your circle that your product is unique. There are many, many class D amps, but only one Digital Amplifier Company right?
You are correct, only one Digital Amp Co, but Cherry Amplifier® is our brand, so we edited the list title to this:

Cherry Amps' advantages over tube amps

Thank for the tip and kind words.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2019, 08:31 pm »
Here's a comparison of the distortion (actually THD+N) at 10Wpc output from an RM-10 MK ii (a 35Wpc amp) versus our Maraschino amplifier (a 400Wpc amp!!).

The Maraschino has about 1/100th the distortion of the well respected RM-10!  Also note that THD+N from the RM-10 goes above 10% at low frequencies.  Some might say that the "tube amp distortion sounds good", but we believe less is more when it comes to distortion, and cleaner just sounds better....

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #30 on: 20 Nov 2019, 11:52 pm »
I wonder how many people are using an RM 10 for a subwoofer amp.  :lol:

Sorry, but most of your arguments are falling on deaf (tube lover) ears.
If tube guys were that worried about a little distortion they wouldn't have them in the first place.  :roll:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #31 on: 21 Nov 2019, 12:21 am »
No doubt most tube lovers are quite “religious” about their tubes. But as with all religious fanaticism, some eventually do manage to break free.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #32 on: 21 Nov 2019, 12:26 am »
No doubt most tube lovers are quite “religious” about their tubes. But as with all religious fanaticism, some eventually do manage to break free.

True, and some wake up and realize what they are missing.  :)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #33 on: 21 Nov 2019, 12:49 am »
Well I have to admit I never thought I’d find anything SS - much less Class D...
that could compete with - never mind shatter my single ended triode delusion.  :deadhorse:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #34 on: 21 Nov 2019, 03:23 am »
True, and some wake up and realize what they are missing.  :)

One Cherry Amp audition (decent room, source, and speakers) and you will want Cherry Sound for your personal enjoyment  8)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #35 on: 21 Nov 2019, 05:32 am »
Here's a comparison of the distortion (actually THD+N) at 10Wpc output from an RM-10 MK ii (a 35Wpc amp) versus our Maraschino amplifier (a 400Wpc amp!!).

The Maraschino has about 1/100th the distortion of the well respected RM-10!  Also note that THD+N from the RM-10 goes above 10% at low frequencies.  Some might say that the "tube amp distortion sounds good", but we believe less is more when it comes to distortion, and cleaner just sounds better....

Newbie question:

Why was 10w chosen? [I ask because I would not listen to music with 10 tube watts blasting out of my speakers.]

Thank you.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #36 on: 21 Nov 2019, 07:42 am »
Newbie question:

Why was 10w chosen? [I ask because I would not listen to music with 10 tube watts blasting out of my speakers.]

Thank you.

>3000 posts on Audio Circle isn’t what we’d call “newbie”-ish !!

10W (average) is a “sweet spot” where common/typical low-to-mid-90s dB efficiency speakers are able to create near-field live-level music.  Also, amps tend to perform better when “taking it easy”, so a 1W plot, for example, tells you less.  Thanks for your comment (:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #37 on: 21 Nov 2019, 07:46 am »
Lots of listeners say “low power tubes sound louder than low power solid state”....

Well, this is due in part by the soft clipping effect of tubes, but put an 8W SET amp up against a 120Wpc Stereo Maraschino, and it’s no contest when playing loud!  The Cherry will blow away the SET amp.  No clipping ALWAYS beats soft clipping !!

RonN5

« Reply #38 on: 21 Nov 2019, 02:10 pm »
Specs and numbers matter to most of us but at the end of the day it is usually 'how it sounds' that matters most.

As we build our systems, we often start with gear that “sounds good”…whatever that means to each of us individually.  Over time, we come to recognize that our systems have shortfalls…maybe aspects that need to be added and maybe aspects that need to be subtracted.

Very generally speaking, the Cherry gear seems to improve the sense of tone, clarity and aliveness that results in the music sounding more real.  For those people wanting their home systems to approach the sound of live music, the Cherry amps will take you there.

Also, very generally speaking, tube gear seems to remove some the harshness that may result from source/speaker/room interactions (which most of us have experienced on our audio journey).   In addition, tube gear often results in a soundstage that many describe as 3d…almost surround sound.  Although this may not be completely realistic, it is definitely fun. 

Eventually, most of us, end up wanting a system that sounds right…which usually means that it sounds like live music (as much as possible).  The switch to Cherry for someone already owning solid state is pretty easy.  The switch to Cherry for someone owning tubes may take more time with the Cherry in their system.  Why, because the Cherry sound will be more like real music…less surround sound effect (but still very holographic) and much more detail and tonal accuracy than they are used to.

What if at the end of the day, they still prefer tubes.  For me, that is absolutely fine because this hobby is all about enjoyment and preferring tubes now is not to say that they won’t prefer something else down the road.

M41A

« Reply #39 on: 23 Nov 2019, 03:48 am »
Reading this thread reminds me of my first crush, my friends kept saying "her?"
When music touches us it doesn't matter where it comes from, I have listen to my car's radio and enjoyed a song.
YEARS ago, I used every penny I had to buy a Crown DC300a, traded it for a Phase Linear  700b, and it for a SAE...... Somewhere along the line I moved to Audio Research then Rowland then to Cary.
For me, no SS I have heard can match the makeup tubes apply to midrange. The right tubes in the right equipment will keep your wallet open like my first "crush".
For now I am a SS guy, for two reasons
SS midrange has gotten more tube like. To me the top and bottom were always better
Even though tube equipment has gotten more reliable, NOS tubes are expensive.