Can I get some Opera recommendations?

jimdgoulding

Re: Can I get some Opera recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Oct 2009, 05:05 am »
Turn of The Screw arrived.  It's on the Naxos label.  Dudes, the perspective of a large stage in a large house (high ceilings) is spot freakin on (given that yer willing to except the seat next to me in the space available seats tho this is largely controlled by the old volume knob if you know what I mean- but I recommend that you stick with me).  The vocals are amazingly perfect, I shit you not.  The orchestra is a little carmelized as compared to most London's and Mercury's, etc., but it isn't a deficit, not when you hear those vocals (!), dear heart.

This is not like sensuous and climatic Italian operas.  It's more austere and intellectual for lack of a better description, and melancholic.  A glass of wine, or two, may be required.  I'm engrossed by it.
In saying this is on the austere side, in no way do I mean it's not impassioned, oh contraire, only that it's not very busy in the orchestra.  Wood, you might oughta give this a go, mate.  There is something going on here more than just the mystery.  Real beauty, I think.  I polished this puppy up- the disc- tonite and it's just nailing me.  Only 6 player/singers.  No large chorus.  Nicely staged and sounding.  I'm hooked!

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #21 on: 27 Oct 2009, 02:31 pm »
Alright, Jim. 

I ordered the Naxos CDs -- got it basically free on E-bay using E-bay credits I had earned.  I also ordered the original Britten/Pears recording on vinyl  for 10 quid shipped, which I thought  was not bad.  I will let you know how I like them.   

Now you should listen to the War Requiem.  I think it's his best work.  The original recording is the best.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #22 on: 27 Oct 2009, 02:57 pm »
I'll listen to War Requiem and look for the original recording.  When you get your new disc, listen fairly softly (say, row H) soes the whole of the parts combine to make a live event and pay attention to the piano on the opening.  You'll see/hear.  Listen well.  Best.   

Onlythat

« Reply #23 on: 31 Oct 2009, 06:28 pm »
After 20 years of listening to opera, one always brings a smile to my face and certain sections play in my mind over and over when it's a a sunny day and I'm happy--

Donizetti's L'elisir d'amore [the elixir of love].   For me, Donizetti's writing here is like Mozart and Rossini rolled into one-- depth and superficiality- fun and pathos.  DO listen, at least at first, with the libretto in hand!

I would highly recommend the performance with Kathy Battle and Luciano Pavarotti.   Pavarotti may not be Olivier, but by God this role was HIS and for her part, Battle's voice shines like polished silver.  Nemorino was Luciano's favorite and perhaps best understood role, as both he and his character were essentially simple country boys at heart.

I also have a DVD with Villazon singing the role partnered with Netrebko.  Villazon's acting is superb and the ease with which he appears to sing even tough passages here--well, it's downright discouraging for those of us who have had a go at studying voice as a tenor. Like he's taking a walk in a park and singing a few things while strolling.

Luciano though, is truly the man. His authenticity is melting and like the Great Bjorling, he can, as they say, 'act with his voice.' The recordings of this opera he performs in- one from the 60's and one from the umm.... err... 80's (?) are both really well recorded and both casts are great.  Joyous listening, both of 'em.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #24 on: 1 Nov 2009, 01:12 pm »
After 20 years of listening to opera, one always brings a smile to my face and certain sections play in my mind over and over when it's a a sunny day and I'm happy--

Donizetti's L'elisir d'amore [the elixir of love].   For me, Donizetti's writing here is like Mozart and Rossini rolled into one-- depth and superficiality- fun and pathos.  DO listen, at least at first, with the libretto in hand!

I would highly recommend the performance with Kathy Battle and Luciano Pavarotti.   Pavarotti may not be Olivier, but by God this role was HIS and for her part, Battle's voice shines like polished silver.  Nemorino was Luciano's favorite and perhaps best understood role, as both he and his character were essentially simple country boys at heart.

I also have a DVD with Villazon singing the role partnered with Netrebko.  Villazon's acting is superb and the ease with which he appears to sing even tough passages here--well, it's downright discouraging for those of us who have had a go at studying voice as a tenor. Like he's taking a walk in a park and singing a few things while strolling.

Luciano though, is truly the man. His authenticity is melting and like the Great Bjorling, he can, as they say, 'act with his voice.' The recordings of this opera he performs in- one from the 60's and one from the umm.... err... 80's (?) are both really well recorded and both casts are great.  Joyous listening, both of 'em.
Nice post, that.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #25 on: 2 Nov 2009, 02:47 am »

Welcome to the Audio Circle Opera House. 

I know I get a boost when I hear a familiar refrain of a favorite aria on the air.  The classical station I listen to at work will put in orchestral version of opera arias in the mix and I always get happy when I hear them.  They have been playing "O mio babbino caro" frequently, which brings smiles to my face as I envision a happy ending.  After all is said and done, it's Opera I come back to get recharged with my love of music.  :thumb:  I mean, after all the rock'n roll, pop, jazz, classical, folk, gospel and even hip-hop, audiophile quality or not, it's Opera that anchors my love of music.  The best times is when I can bellow out my ill tuned sing along in the shower with Rigoletto in his duets with Gilda.  :singing: FYI, my onlyl child, a girl, is just 7 and is the joy of my life.   

jimdgoulding

« Reply #26 on: 10 Apr 2010, 07:25 am »
I have so few operas, less than a dozen in house, so I am oblidged to listen over and over.  I may have more than I know, surely.  I shall see as I'm in the process of liberating all the rest of my albums from offsite storage (never cataloged them).  A few of those include opera recordings that I inherited from my mom's best friend.  We're talkin 1950's.  In the mean time, I am dependent on the discussion here.  I'm certain I'm not alone.  More rec's, please.

Regardless, if you wanna own a very good I Pagliacci and one the most natural recordings (period) that I know of at present, try and find Karajan conducting the Teatro La Scala on DG. 

Today, listened to Orff's Der Mond on Philips.  In German, not known as a romantic language.  Hella of a lot of fun this is, tho.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2010, 05:46 pm by jimdgoulding »

pjg66

« Reply #27 on: 11 Apr 2010, 01:20 am »
Wow!  A budding opera lover. My suggestions for operas to explore  (and IMO practically any decent recordings of these would suffice to introduce you to them):

Beethoven: Fidelio (especially if you like Beethoven symphonies)
Bizet: Carmen (the war horses in this opera are war horses for a very good reason)
Gershwin: Porgy and Bess (you've likely heard many popular renditions of this music, so try the
                                     real thing - the music is achingly beautiful)
Mozart: Le Nozze Di Figaro  (this has been called the greatest work of art produced by Western
                                       Civilization, and when you get familiar with it, you may know why)
Mozart: Die Zauberflote (sweet, lyrical, utterly delightful - recitatives can get long, so you may
                                  want to first try a highlights recording)
Puccini: Turandot (you already like Puccini, so try his most spectacular opera)
Rossini: Il Barbiere Di Siviglia (best example of Rossini's captivating, energetic music)
Verdi: Il Trovatore (great all-around example of Verdi's music)

You have so much great musical discovery ahead of you.  Happy listening.

Paul G.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2010, 03:59 pm by pjg66 »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #28 on: 28 May 2010, 05:12 am »
Bach- Actus tragicus (Harmonia Mundi).  This was playing on the sound system in a record shop in Little Mayfair in London on a visit there in the early 80's.  I bought this along with The Slits first album which defined punk garage sound.  This has never gotten old or routine to me.  A million stars.