Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.

mikeeastman

Re: Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.
« Reply #240 on: 4 Sep 2020, 10:36 pm »
I just did dry run on the no-rez and Sonicjoys lay out might work for him but they didn't work with the flat pack.

mikeeastman

« Reply #241 on: 5 Sep 2020, 12:53 am »
Here is the way I laid it out the No-rez, I had the luxury of 2 extra 12"x12" pieces of no-rez so I didn't have to piece any of it together. I also did a layout with out the extra pieces, you will have to piece the 2 back pieces in this layout with just enough left over to fill in around x-over.

Here is a pic of the template for the top sides I used, I added the little bump out to fill the space in front of the brace on the final layout.

mikeeastman

« Reply #242 on: 21 Sep 2020, 04:23 pm »
Started on cross-overs first one soldered but not glue to board yet, though I'd check make sure all looks good.

Boy this is a heavy cross-over nearly 11lb with the wood plank it's mounted on.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #243 on: 21 Sep 2020, 04:51 pm »
I cant get over the size of that copper cap...  :lol:
Im guessing this is going to be an external crossover?

hawkeyejw

« Reply #244 on: 21 Sep 2020, 05:04 pm »
Started on cross-overs first one soldered but not glue to board yet, though I'd check make sure all looks good.

Gloriously over the top!  :lol:

Thanks for sharing the process with us, looking forward to seeing the results and reading about how they sound.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #245 on: 21 Sep 2020, 05:37 pm »

Sweet Mike.

charles

mikeeastman

« Reply #246 on: 22 Sep 2020, 01:18 pm »
So, no one spotted that the big cap was backwards, realized it when I assembled second cross-over.  :duh:

Argoncat

« Reply #247 on: 22 Sep 2020, 04:41 pm »
Backwards??  I only thought electrolytic capacitors had polarity.

WarmColors

« Reply #248 on: 14 Nov 2020, 10:10 pm »
Hi kids!

Back with more progress. Had a productive weekend and got these almost completely finished. All that's left is to finish the grills.

They are now up and running with about eight hours on them. I fully intended to post all the latest info and photos this morning but I could not tear myself away from listening to them. I will try to get the thread updated on the crossover and wiring details tonight.

And just to not keep you all waiting with the question of how do they sound?
All I will say at this point is that anyone wondering if these are as good as claimed. YES!   :D :D :D

Hi SonicJoy,

My wife is a graphic designer and she has been helping me manipulating the colors to my own Studio monitors. We did use one of your pictures. I would like to post the picture on this forum to get feedback from everyone on which color scheme looks the "best". Since you are the owner of the picture can we use the picture by uploading it to this forum with the color alterations?

I am still waiting for Danny to send me my kit, I am just getting ready and imagining how the speakers will look like.

Thank you,

Sonicjoy

« Reply #249 on: 14 Nov 2020, 11:48 pm »
Sure go ahead. Love to see what you and her came up with.  :popcorn:

WarmColors

« Reply #250 on: 15 Nov 2020, 12:24 am »
Thank you SonicJoy.

Unfortunately the exact color that we chose for the speakers does look a tiny bit different between her Wacom tablet and my PC monitor. You may see a different shade of color as well.

My wife only sent me the pictures with the white background (she is working on adding the background where I want my speakers, to give me a better idea of how they will look with the room)

One of the pictures has a bezel of the same color that the side and back of the speaker could have. (I took that idea from my Klipsch Fives) I am leaning more towards it. It would be a dark cherry finish closely matching the China cabinet that we have.

Also she has the ability to add designs, so I am planning on adding some sort of design so it's not the finish product. Only color schemes. 

Out of both the pictures which one do you guys like best?

I am a visual person and since my wife has the ability to manipulate colors and backgrounds etc. Her skills really are giving me a good direction of what colors I will want to use. She will never see this post but thanks sweetie for your services.

Also I do welcome suggestions or other color schemes.

Skilly

« Reply #251 on: 15 Nov 2020, 06:22 am »
I do not know about others, but to me, getting your wife involved in the project is an act of genius! There is no wrong choice from her.

uncola

« Reply #252 on: 15 Nov 2020, 08:16 am »
They both look good but I like the 2nd one more.  If you have light colored furnitures then the first one might be preferred

Sonicjoy

« Reply #253 on: 15 Nov 2020, 12:40 pm »
They both look good. Again depends what you and her like but if I had to choose I also like the dark one.

WarmColors

« Reply #254 on: 15 Nov 2020, 01:19 pm »
Thank you the few of you.

As I was uploading the pictures, I got the idea to paint the screws the same color (copper/bronze) as the tweeter and woofer color.

I think I may go with the second picture as well. We looked through other possible ideas but this one has stood out the most.

Once the final design is done I will start building the speaker and the sub woofer box.

I will upload a few pictures once I have it all done.

indiehouse

« Reply #255 on: 2 Mar 2021, 10:11 pm »
I have read this thread about half a dozen times now. So much that it has inspired me to create an account here to post. Absolutely love the build! This has inspired me to build a pair of these. I am nervous because I haven't heard them. And I am nervous about the cabinet build. I know I can buy the CNC cut flat packs, but I want the wood veneered sides.

mkrawcz

« Reply #256 on: 3 Mar 2021, 01:19 am »
I am nervous because I haven't heard them. And I am nervous about the cabinet build. I know I can buy the CNC cut flat packs, but I want the wood veneered sides.
No need to be nervous, these are the best sounding 2 way monitors in the world and Captainhemo’s flat packs are as perfect and easy to assemble as it gets. The fact that you can have these for less than $1500 is absolutely crazy.

indiehouse

« Reply #257 on: 3 Mar 2021, 02:17 pm »
No need to be nervous, these are the best sounding 2 way monitors in the world and Captainhemo’s flat packs are as perfect and easy to assemble as it gets. The fact that you can have these for less than $1500 is absolutely crazy.

I've never heard an open baffle design before. Would it make a difference that these are going in a family room with no acoustic treatment? They will need to be positioned straddeling a corner against the wall. It's an open floor plan, so the space is large. I understand the importance of acoustic treatment, as I have my studio space stuffed with it, but I don't think I can get away with that in the upstairs family room.

Right now, I have a pair of ELAC B6's. I had considered grabbing an open box pair of their Debut 6.2's for $200 and modding them with Danny's kit, but wasn't sure if that was worth the effort. I mainly want to upgrade my music listening playback system because I know how good it can be having a pretty killer setup in my studio space.

mkrawcz

« Reply #258 on: 3 Mar 2021, 04:59 pm »
I've never heard an open baffle design before. Would it make a difference that these are going in a family room with no acoustic treatment? They will need to be positioned straddeling a corner against the wall. It's an open floor plan, so the space is large. I understand the importance of acoustic treatment, as I have my studio space stuffed with it, but I don't think I can get away with that in the upstairs family room.
These are only semi open baffle in design with the tweeter being open at the top with a ramp. The rear beaming waves from the tweeter basically get absorbed by the ramp with no-rez on it and the rest of the waves are going up at an angle that makes them far from any surface. They were designed to be able to put against a wall. I have mine against a wall in my bedroom and they sound fantastic. Off course as with most speakers, the soundstage always can be improved by moving them away from the wall. But with these, its not as dramatic as the full open baffles are. I should also point out that you MUST have a subwoofer with these. They start rolling off at 70hz.

indiehouse

« Reply #259 on: 4 Mar 2021, 05:53 pm »
What other speaker would you say these compare to? Just looking for a frame of reference, since I have none. I was looking at a used pair of the Ascend Sierra towers for around the same price.