Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.
« Reply #220 on: 2 Sep 2020, 01:39 pm »
So, I've got a question.  If it's already been answered elsewhere in this long thread, I apologize.

Why put the norez on the angled top of the speaker?  On the exterior!  I thought the idea of the tweeter being an open baffle was so the sound (projecting to the rear) could bounce off that angled surface, then off the rear wall and ceiling.  It seems like you're defeating the intent of the design by putting norez there.

I believe it's to slow the rear wave & allow it to act like its further from the front wall than it is, as well as more evenly diffuse the sound.

It still bounces off the front wall/ceiling, but if placed up against the wall without norez, the sound is more likely to destructively interfere with the front wave. It would be less of an issue if pulled out into the room since the rear wave still has to travel a further distance, but its still recommended.

mikeeastman

« Reply #221 on: 2 Sep 2020, 03:27 pm »
Received the upgraded resistors and foil inductors for the NX Studios, between them and  the copper caps this is going be a heavy and big X-over. Glad I'm not going to have to put these in the speakers.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #222 on: 2 Sep 2020, 03:44 pm »
Foil inductors & path resistors, I'm guessing? That's probably the way I'm planning on going with my kit as well. I would love to go with all Miflex Copper caps, but they're too far outside of my price range & physically too large IMO, so they'll just be for bypass duty & use Sonicaps instead.

mikeeastman

« Reply #223 on: 2 Sep 2020, 04:50 pm »
I'm going with Dannys copper caps with Miflex caps as bypass. I used the Miflex caps for bypass and the Path resistors on my Super 7s and they were a nice improvement.

Argoncat

« Reply #224 on: 2 Sep 2020, 07:16 pm »
Received the upgraded resistors and foil inductors for the NX Studios, between them and  the copper caps this is going be a heavy and big X-over. Glad I'm not going to have to put these in the speakers.

I completed the same build over the weekend..  Took every inch of a 5" x 12" mounting plate (max plate dimensions I could fit through the driver opening with caps in place and between all the NoRez w/in the enclosure..  I went with a 0.125" polycarbonate plate in order to recover some of the lost volume over the standard 3/4 MDF mounting board.  Heavy indeed! Need to spend some time setting the placement of the Studio's, but I'm really surprised with their low-end extension in my room..

TexE4D

« Reply #225 on: 2 Sep 2020, 07:45 pm »

Were the foil inductors off the shelf or special order?
What's the brand and foil gauge?
Are you going to ground the shield of the Path Audio resistors?
If you don't mined me asking, where did you purchase these parts?

mikeeastman

« Reply #226 on: 2 Sep 2020, 09:04 pm »
The large inductors are Mundorf and are 14 gauge I got them from Parts Express as Parts Connection, where I got the resisters and goertz inductors, ( the small ones ) as they were out of that size. The goertz are 16 gauge.

Danny carries  foil inductors, but I believe was out at the time I ordered the kit.

Yes I’m going to ground the resistors as I did on my Super7s X-over.

TexE4D

« Reply #227 on: 2 Sep 2020, 11:08 pm »
I've noticed through various strings on the forum, the gauge size of the inductors seems to vary. I've been trying to figure out what is the criteria when selecting the inductors gauge?

Early B.

« Reply #228 on: 2 Sep 2020, 11:46 pm »
Just so I'm clear -- will a fully tricked out crossover (Danny's copper caps, foil inductors, Path resistors, etc.) fit inside the cabinet or will an external crossover be necessary?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #229 on: 3 Sep 2020, 12:31 am »
Just so I'm clear -- will a fully tricked out crossover (Danny's copper caps, foil inductors, Path resistors, etc.) fit inside the cabinet or will an external crossover be necessary?
So long as you can cram it all close together, onto a roughly 5"x12" board it'll fit, but it'll definitely be a very tight fit. But an external crossover wouldn't be a bad idea either, esp if going with the gigantic copper caps, not just bypass copper caps.

mikeeastman

« Reply #230 on: 3 Sep 2020, 12:36 am »
Danny said he was going to send out my kit last week, I heard nothing so figured he got busy. Surprise UPS show up with my kit. :angel: Thanks Danny.

I did a dry run on the X-over. with all the parts as close as I could get them they required 8"x10" space at best with the no-rez you have 6"x 11" maybe.

On the second dry run with the spacing I like it was 8.5"x 12.5"

Early B. I'd say no way.

RolandButcher

« Reply #231 on: 3 Sep 2020, 01:09 am »
Wow those are huge!

Early B.

« Reply #232 on: 3 Sep 2020, 01:39 am »
Early B. I'd say no way.

OK, thanks. I suspected as much. Now I gotta help a friend figure out how to design external crossovers in such a way where they don't clutter the floor.

Argoncat

« Reply #233 on: 3 Sep 2020, 07:21 pm »

It will fit..  I built it over the weekend, all installed on a 5"x12" mounting board and fit nicely (albeit snug) in the NoRez lined cabinet of the NX Studio.. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #234 on: 3 Sep 2020, 07:58 pm »
Argoncat you were Houdini in your last life. :thumb:   Thanks for the X-over diagram very helpful.

What wire are you using?

Argoncat

« Reply #235 on: 3 Sep 2020, 08:15 pm »
I used 18 AWC OCC Copper from VH Audio..

First one took me ~4 hours of work to organize the parts and fret if I had connected it correctly, second one went so much better.  Still looking for a better solution to attaching foil inductors in the path, lots of flux and surface solder was what I used and appeared to work just fine but feel there must be a better way.. I saw one comment about using a hole punch though the foil and wrapping the connecting wires through the hole, maybe next time I'll try that.. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #236 on: 3 Sep 2020, 08:45 pm »
Sonicjoy said that he added poly fill per the instruction, where are there instruction? How much poly fill?

I need to move where the tube connecters are located, any suggestions on what to fill the existing hole with.

jcsperson

« Reply #237 on: 3 Sep 2020, 09:40 pm »
I need to move where the tube connecters are located, any suggestions on what to fill the existing hole with.

Go to the Big Box store and buy a wood dowel in the closest size for 85 cents. Cut off 3/4" and glue it in then putty.

mikeeastman

« Reply #238 on: 3 Sep 2020, 10:18 pm »
Perfect, thanks.

Early B.

« Reply #239 on: 4 Sep 2020, 12:40 am »
It will fit.. 

Awesome! That's good to know. The diagram is very helpful.

Got a question for anyone who knows -- I notice that some people are adding bypass caps. I was under the impression that bypass caps can improve the sound only if they are of higher quality than the cap they're bypassing. Danny's copper caps seem to be top of the line. My assumption about bypass caps may be wrong. Is there another reason to use bypass caps? Can someone elaborate?

Thanks.