Tea For The Tillerman

Berndt

Re: Tea For The Tillerman
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2011, 09:05 pm »
Yeah, hard to believe they are blowing rumors off the shelf so fast...

DaveyW

« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2011, 09:37 pm »
Popped my "Island" TFTT on this evening - sounds stunning.
I certainly doubt I'll be tempted to splash out on a newer pressing - Surely we're deep into diminishing returns here.
I suppose if it's a a real fav. recording and you want the best then worth a punt.

Prefer Teaser myself  :D

I doubt I'm alone here. How many are really going to shell out on another pressing.
It's gotta be a small market and as etacarroll says there needs to be a business case behind it.
It's not surprising to me why the 180-200g modern represses focus on the tried and trusted.

I agree with Tonepub though, it's a real shame that there is'nt a bit more diversity.
There's plenty of music I'd love to own on vinyl where decent copies are either hard to come by or astronomically priced.
It's a shame there appears no way of getting the prices down to nearer CD levels.
This would certainly drive up demand - would higher volumes make the whole thing more viable???

Lower prices with a wider range should also deliver greater appeal to the young 'uns.

By the way I'm one of the "under 50's" and at least 95% of the music I buy is vinyl  :thumb:
There's still a few of us out there.  8)

Cheers
Dave

TONEPUB

« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2011, 10:17 pm »
Davey, if you've got an island or a pink island, I doubt you'll hear much improvement.  I've got the mofi UHQR and I lucked into it cheap, so that's more than good enough for a record I've listened to twice in the last five years.

However I did get the three new Prince releases that Bernie Grundman just redid, and am anxious to hear those!

roscoeiii

« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2011, 10:32 pm »
But TONEPUB,

If I understand this company's claim correctly, these pressings will be an improvement, and if that is the case...instant street cred.

Proof is in the pudding, of course.

orthobiz

« Reply #24 on: 14 May 2011, 02:51 am »
God, who cares about Tea for the Tillerman?
Ugh....

Let it all out!

Paul

TONEPUB

« Reply #25 on: 14 May 2011, 03:01 am »
I'm sure they will be good.  Chads built an excellent facility...    I'd just love to see something interesting get produced there.

Seriously, how many times have you listened to Tea For the Tillerman in the last ten years?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #26 on: 14 May 2011, 03:30 am »
I had listened to my MFSL CD last week, then over on AA someone mentioned Tea*, then also here.
I just bought a LP copy with the Sterling mark, as my Lp copy did not have the mark, so i plan on comparing them. i wll report on it tomorrow.
And perhaps compare to the MFSL disc too.LOL

OK I listened to a Sterling mastered LP of Tea and I am ambivalent about it. Some of the reverb on Cat Stevens voice is way overdone.
Otherwise it was about the same. i really could not stand listening a few more times as the music was not what i wanted at the time. Forcing myself to listen is not anthing i ever plan on doing for any music, reason or not.
So I can't say if the sterling master is or is not better, only because the result of listening to it again so intently left me with the same reaction as some others. Why bother reissuing this stuff?
I mean a little Cat Stevens once in awhile is fun. but not too often.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2011, 09:48 pm by Elizabeth »

SlushPuppy

« Reply #27 on: 14 May 2011, 03:47 am »
God, who cares about Tea for the Tillerman?  Chad's spent all this money on this awesome record production facility and we get this?

When will someone in the audio industry wakes up and realizes that we will NEVER get anyone under 50 interested in audio, producing this stuff.

I'm sure it will sound great, but so what?  How about using this level of care to produce some records we DON'T have 10 pressings of?

Ugh....

LOL! I feel the same way.

orthobiz

« Reply #28 on: 14 May 2011, 10:25 am »
I'm sure they will be good.  Chads built an excellent facility...    I'd just love to see something interesting get produced there.

Seriously, how many times have you listened to Tea For the Tillerman in the last ten years?

About 20. I love it dearly. But that's me. I do get your point though. I have 3 copies and an old MFSL I bought in a collection doesn't add much to the Lee Hulko copies. I won't be buying this new one.

I did thinknthe story behind the new disk was cool.

Paul

Nels Ferre

« Reply #29 on: 14 May 2011, 12:50 pm »
God, who cares about Tea for the Tillerman?  Chad's spent all this money on this awesome record production facility and we get this?

When will someone in the audio industry wakes up and realizes that we will NEVER get anyone under 50 interested in audio, producing this stuff.

I'm sure it will sound great, but so what?  How about using this level of care to produce some records we DON'T have 10 pressings of?

Ugh....

I have to agree. I have a MoFi (not UHQR) that I might have played twice. I would like to have a good sounding copy of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"- not another Cat Stevens LP.

TONEPUB

« Reply #30 on: 20 May 2011, 06:56 pm »
Now we're talking!  I'd buy that too!

Toni Rambold

« Reply #31 on: 23 Jul 2011, 09:38 pm »
Mikey's review is online:

Tea for the Tillerman

Regards Toni

Waynefi

« Reply #32 on: 23 Jul 2011, 10:27 pm »
I'm 55 and don't have a copy. I am going to guess there are probably others who do not have a good copy. I think sometimes we forget that there are more likely many more customers for product, then the people who spend thier hours commenting on forums. There are a bunch of current 60/70's new releases I am looking at buying. I doubt I will ever buy and listen to all the LP's I never bought prior, let alone move into current artists.

I buy quality used LP's from people I trust on Hoffman and Audiogon, but don't have the patience or time to dig through piles of junk looking for one lucky find. But I welcome quality repops of this "old" material.

I doubt I'd buy a RHCP LP, though I do have a 45 somewhere.

Wayne

singlemania

« Reply #33 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:51 pm »
That is one fine album. I have a few copies of this and the best sounding I have found is a UK pressed factory demo which is the heaviest pressing I have seen of this album. This copy appears to have been originally sent to Holland along with a copy of Teaser and the Fire cat.  :D