Suggestions on under $2K turntable...

Wayner

Re: Suggestions on under $2K turntable...
« Reply #20 on: 24 Nov 2010, 01:10 pm »
I am also puzzled by how did a $6k turntable got on the under $2k turntable thread  :scratch: . Maybe poor math may have something to do with it.

It's called humor. Something I'm sure you're not familiar with.

Wayner  8)

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #21 on: 24 Nov 2010, 04:28 pm »
Is the building of this turntable easy as bolt on; or, will it require modding?

Where would I get all those parts???

rcag_ils

« Reply #22 on: 24 Nov 2010, 10:47 pm »
It's called humor. Something I'm sure you're not familiar with.

He he, it's so funny, I'll have to write this one down.

writeface

« Reply #23 on: 24 Nov 2010, 10:54 pm »
Back to topic:

I had a Nottingham Interspace Jr. TT and Clearaudio Aurum Classics cart and Pro-ject phono box II preamp for under 2k.
I loved the Nottingham sound so I have upgraded the TT to Spacedeck.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #24 on: 25 Nov 2010, 01:10 am »
Build a well sorted Lenco and you can leave that $6,000 Vpi to collect dust. You'll come in under $2000 including tonearm and cartridge and you'll have $500 to spend on your phono pre. The Jasmine phono pre mentioned earlier really is a phenomenal performer, and not just for the money.

A rough breakdown of costs:

Jasmine Phono - $525
Lenco - $300/$400
Jelco 12" arm & cable - $700
Denon dl103/103r - $150/$250
BB Plywood for plinth - $75/$150

Here's a link to someone's first Lenco build, a pretty bog standard one by the way...look at what he's comparing it to. http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=4135.msg65709#msg65709

Your comparing a 40 year old turntable that will be purchased used and that requires DIY tools and skills to build....versus brand new and thru a dealer network with a warranty, etc.  Quite a different set of circumstances.

You buy any car (save a Mini maybe) off any car lot in the US today and it's value drops by 20% nearly instantly.  So, there is an inherent cost of buying 'new' that everyone, at least conceptually, understands.

I have no favorites to choose among either TT - may be the best table be the best table - but, you simply cannot compare the two in cost, but only in sound quality.

What if the LENCO bought is old and needs re-building?  I'm an inveterate tweeker, but I wouldn't know how to set the thing back to original operating state

Then, there is the subject of box building...I don't do it nor do many others in the hobby.  So, I'd have to buy some $1000 plinth aftermarket...which ratchets up the cost of the LENCO appreciably.

Again, you may well be right that a LENCO will somehow stomp a VPI Classic 3 for a lot less....but it's a bit of a mismatch to compare costs involved.  Sound quality of and by itself - that's understandable.

So, to the OP, unless you are an experienced in building a turntable...this is NOT a project for you.

John

nrenter

« Reply #25 on: 25 Nov 2010, 03:03 am »
The $2k price point comes up often, and personally, I consider it analog purgatory. Particularly when you're trying to replace a turntable & tonearm & cartridge & phono pre. Seems like one ends up buying a bunch of components - none of which they're really thrilled about.

First of all, what does the OP currently have for an analog set-up? What is perceived as lacking? Is it really necessary to upgrade / replace all the components of the current system? Does the OP have a good wet-cleaning system? More questions need to be answered before any suggestion will be remotely helpful.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 25 Nov 2010, 03:37 am »
I just sold my Project Debut III; so, I'm upgrading.

I want something good that I will not have to upgrade until a long time down the road; or, even never.

I always had my eye on the VPI Scout; but, The Clearaudio Concept could be an option as well.

Current phono pre-amps:
Parasound Z-Phono
Project Phono Box

Vinyl cleaning system is a future purchase.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #27 on: 25 Nov 2010, 09:12 pm »
Your comparing a 40 year old turntable that will be purchased used and that requires DIY tools and skills to build....versus brand new and thru a dealer network with a warranty, etc.  Quite a different set of circumstances.

You buy any car (save a Mini maybe) off any car lot in the US today and it's value drops by 20% nearly instantly.  So, there is an inherent cost of buying 'new' that everyone, at least conceptually, understands.

I have no favorites to choose among either TT - may be the best table be the best table - but, you simply cannot compare the two in cost, but only in sound quality.

What if the LENCO bought is old and needs re-building?  I'm an inveterate tweeker, but I wouldn't know how to set the thing back to original operating state

Then, there is the subject of box building...I don't do it nor do many others in the hobby.  So, I'd have to buy some $1000 plinth aftermarket...which ratchets up the cost of the LENCO appreciably.

Again, you may well be right that a LENCO will somehow stomp a VPI Classic 3 for a lot less....but it's a bit of a mismatch to compare costs involved.  Sound quality of and by itself - that's understandable.

So, to the OP, unless you are an experienced in building a turntable...this is NOT a project for you.

John

These are all valid points you make John. You'll get no argument from me that this kind of 'project' isn't for everyone. A lenco project is plainly a DIY endeavor and one should factor in the time spent building, tweaking and the additional costs of tools for building the plinth before going down this path. For me, from a sonic perspective, the challenge of 'rolling my own' was well worth it.

blakep

« Reply #28 on: 25 Nov 2010, 09:26 pm »
Used, but newer. No DIY  or heavy modding necessary.

I would never buy new in that price range.

Newer phono stage will be required, along with a decent cartridge but with options like this and funds from liquidating the budget phono stages there should be sufficient funds left over.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1295543987&/Michell-Gyrodec-w/TechnoArm---

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/203566-vpi_scout_turntable_with_jmw9_plus_see_photo/

I'd check to see how old that Gyro actually is: specifically the type of main bearing, motor and power supply for the motor. The VPI may be the better bet, although I'm a big fan of the Gyro (owning one) and I'm sure they offer different presentations.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 26 Nov 2010, 02:08 am »
On another forum, I got a suggestion for a KAB modded Technics 1200...

...big fan of the 1200; not a fan on paying retail for it.

orthobiz

« Reply #30 on: 26 Nov 2010, 04:11 am »

Vinyl cleaning system is a future purchase.

Get a Spin-Clean while you're waiting...

Paul

hesson11

« Reply #31 on: 11 Dec 2010, 06:18 am »
I'd love to try either the WT Amadeus or the Simplex. But for some reason, the design of the Opera Consonance LP 6.1 REALLY floats my boat. Simplicity itself. And it's now going for just $1,100. I understand you can buy a separate arm tube (it's a unipivot) so you can switch out cartridges fairly easily. From the link below, click on the "Magazine Audio" review link for some great photos.

http://grantfidelity.com/site/Opera_Consonance_LP6.1

The new Thorens TD-309 is also a visual knockout—and $1 under your budget!

http://www.needledoctor.com/Thorens-TD309-Turntable-in-Red?sc=2&category=355

-Bob

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #32 on: 11 Dec 2010, 11:42 am »
i'd still recommend going wintage.  a properly set up empire, even w/o serious tweaks, will out do any new $2k deck, imo; especially if you add a decent arm, something like an o-l rb250 or similar.  you can stay around $1k if patient, even w/cartridge and phono stage.  $2k is a piece of cake.  and, tho i have never sampled one of the lenco's, i have read enough about them to believe they are also the real deal.  and, if you don't wanna do the work yourself, yust  wait for one to show up on the market that has already been done-up...

ymmv,

doug s.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 12 Dec 2010, 05:43 pm »
Spoke with a dealer; he has a demo Nottingham Spacedeck Jr.

He recommended some other cartridge or a Grado; he said to use the ZPhono for now (or he has a killer demo phono pre-amp).

Heavily considering on getting it; unsure about the cartridge.

bogiedr

« Reply #34 on: 14 Dec 2010, 01:19 am »
I just picked up a demo ClearAudio Emotion with the carbon fiber verify tonearm and Maestro cartdrige and I must say, the thing sounds incredible!!! Got it for less than 2k including a ParasoundZ phono pre amp.  :thumb: I am now sold on ClearAudio!! :D

writeface

« Reply #35 on: 14 Dec 2010, 06:03 pm »
Spoke with a dealer; he has a demo Nottingham Spacedeck Jr.

He recommended some other cartridge or a Grado; he said to use the ZPhono for now (or he has a killer demo phono pre-amp).

Heavily considering on getting it; unsure about the cartridge.

Does it have the ace space tone arm?
I really like my Nottingham spacedeck. It is dead quiet and plays like a champ. I used it with a very basic phono (Pro-ject Phono box II) and Clearaudio Aurum Classics MM cartridge. Sounded very nice. I moved up the phono to battery powered nighthawk. One day, I may go the MC route, but not now.