Do I really need a mono cartridge?

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Do I really need a mono cartridge?
« on: 7 Jun 2010, 09:59 pm »
Recently found a flea market with a large amount of mono, classical albums, RCA Red Seal and Columbia Masterworks mostly. Most are ruined, but I've found about 25 decent ones to date. A lot of record surface noise, but I've been using Wayner's cleaning in the sink and brush technique, it helps a lot.

I have a Denon 52F tt and Denon DL301 mc cartridge.

Do I need to invest in a mono cartridge?

I have a Shure V15 Type IV in reserve with low hours on it, would that be better to use?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Do I really need a mono cartridge?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2010, 10:09 pm »
Some folks swear on a round stylus tip for mono LPs besides the mono cartridge.
Others are in the 'line contact' stylus tip with mono cart body. So the ideas of what is best for mono are all over the place.
You might still be able to find a spherical stylus assy for your Shure. It might be a way to experiment without buying a whole new cart.
The least expensive mono cart is a Grado.
Some mono carts just tie the stereo output into a mono configuratiion. so the cart body is not a 'true' mono body. Some very very expensive carts are a true mono construction.
My advice is to try to find a spherical stylus for your Shure and have fun.

jazdoc

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2010, 04:13 am »
I am a recent mono convert.  Over the years I've accumulated a considerable number of mono records but only when I purchased a dedicated mono cartridge did I understand the true beauty of mono.  You really haven't experienced mono until you have a dedicated cartridge...well worth the expense if you have enough software!  Best of all, as you have already discovered, you can often pick up mono records for a fraction of the stereo pressings.

Sonny

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2010, 04:18 am »
Jazdoc,

What mono cartridge do you use?
Thanks

T

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2010, 04:23 am »
Agree with Jazdoc, if you have a lot of mono records a mono cart is the only way to go!

jrtrent

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2010, 11:11 am »
You really haven't experienced mono until you have a dedicated cartridge...

I would love to hear more about this.  What I've read over the years is that there is no electrical difference between using a mono cartridge and using a stereo cartridge with the mono switch engaged.  I don't have enough knowledge of the subject to know if this is true, but here is an explanation I found in another forum:

"A stereo phono cartridge has generators that are sensitive to 45-degree motion corresponding the the 45-degree groove walls. It is wired in such a way that lateral motion of the stylus is in-phase and vertical motion of the stylus is out-of-phase. Therefore, when you blend the channels with a mono switch, purely vertical motion is completely canceled and purely lateral motion is maximized. This is exactly the way a mono cartridge operates. There is absolutely no difference whatsoever."

Personally, I prefer listening to mono records with a stereo system.  After all, I bought many mono albums when all I had was a mono system with the promise on the record jacket that "played on a stereophonic machine, it gives even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity."  I have found this to be true.  I also like having the music centered between the speakers while what noise is present is usually off to the sides and, to me, less intrusive.  For very damaged records, I also like having the option (on my preamp) to feed either the left channel only or right channel only, whichever gives cleaner sound, to both speakers.

But I'm always willing to learn and am curious what advantages people hear when changing to a dedicated mono cartridge.

acidaho

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2010, 10:27 pm »

jrtrent, I agree with your analysis and get the same results from it......I will stick with me ADC XLM MKII for both type recording and trust the audio engineer info on the covers that state we can have it both ways. (I'm actually a cheap-skate) :o

jazdoc

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2010, 07:03 pm »
Sonny,

Sorry for the lateness of this response.

I have a Miyajima Premium BE. Here is a link to their website; http://www.miyajima-lab.com/e-mono.html -- the English translation appears to lose something ;-).

Here is a link to observations by Art Dudley at Stereophile...http://www.stereophile.com/artdudleylistening/listening_80/index1.html. I concur with his observations. Groove noise is significantly reduced with the Premium BE when compared to my stereo Dynavector XV1-S. This brings out the richness of high frequencies. Bass is deeper and more organic. Indeed, my original "Milt Jackson/MJQ" on Prestige has the most natural sounding bass I've ever heard in my system. Of course the soundstage is narrower but you don't have some of the unrealistic stereo effects either, i.e. drummer with 10 foot long arms 'reaching across' both speakers to play cymbals. I've discovered that my mono versions of Basie's "Chairman of the Board", "Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins" and Art Farmer's "Perception" are amongst my best sounding albums, stereo or mono; provided they are played with the Miyajima.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2010, 02:35 am »
I wonder if the lower noise could be the cart only playing the verticle grooves? With 78s a stereo cart is recomended with one channel wiring reversed to out of phase the horizontal side of the groove resulting in less noise. :scratch: