70's pioneer PL-570- Are they good?

gprro

70's pioneer PL-570- Are they good?
« on: 14 Jun 2010, 04:42 am »
Was thinking of taking a look at a vintage 570. Looks like it's in really good shape, tested and tuned up suposedly. $300 with a new stylus AT1111 or a Stanton. I curently have a project expression 2 with speed box and a kab tweeked 1200. Neither is really floating my boat right now(think I'm going to send my Soundsmith cart in for a check though, it sounded good for a couple sides, then seems like it lost something, have an at440 in the wings for a temp replacement, I'm not 100% sure about that one either) I'll probably be selling the project soon anyway for around the same, so I figure why not? Anything I should be looking for, or is even worth it?

royphil345

Re: 70's pioneer PL-570- Are they good?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2010, 08:18 pm »
You have some nice tables... What's your phono stage? I tried several lately and a good one can make all the difference.

The PL-570 is a nice table. That seems like a lot for something you can't get parts for though. These were going for under $100.00 a couple years back. Much more tempting at that price. The vinyl craze seems to still be gathering steam and good used tables are getting rarer and pricier. Not sure the Pioneer would outperform the Technics.

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2010, 08:30 pm »
I'm with royphil345, thinking the Pioneer will not be better then the Technics. You may want to play with SRA if you haven't done so, it may make an improvement. A Grado Gold1 may also improve the sound for you with the Technics.

Wayner

gprro

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:20 am »
Yeah, the technics has almost infinite parts and mods in comparison. I bought the project just out of curiousity, and it had an almost new at440 on it already aligned for a good deal. It does show the maybe slighly dark character of the technics people talk about. To the point that I thought it was faster than the 1200. Timed a couple songs, and if anything it was maybe a tic slower.

I think I just really like the look of the pioneer :lol: guess it sounds like an unnecessary buy unless I want a vintage system for looks.

The phono stage is the Vista audio AC limited model. I have been reading the set up and SRA discussions, and for a vinyl newb its a little intimidating. I am going to send in the Soundsmith cart for a look, it has maybe 15-20 hours on
it. If everything checks out like new I may sell it. I was really looking at those Gold longhorns also. May be an interesting comparison.

I'll probably have to do a completely different set up on the tehnics. That was one of the initial attractions was the simple set up with the suplied overhang gauge. I have adjusted a Vta a half mm at a time, and while there are differences, it never really locked in seems like. Have to admit I've been a little disapointed so far.

Maybe a pre set Rega P5, or a VPI Classic would keep me happy :duh: