Thinking of a new TT

J-Pak

Re: Thinking of a new TT
« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2012, 08:13 pm »
My second turntable was a SL-1200 MKII. Fine turntable with great speed stability. I had a DL-160, DL-110, DL-103, and Zyx R50 Bloom mounted on it.

But when I upgraded to a Scout, P5 and eventually Nott Spacedeck the Technics was below all of them in sound quality. I had the same Zyx mounted on all four tables and continue to use it on my current Spacedeck. The biggest difference was low level resolution, noise floor and soundstage, the Technics can get close to some of the tables in that area, but not near the Spacedeck in all of them.

Wayner

« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2012, 08:47 pm »
You need to get rid of the stock mat and do a couple of tweaks to an SL1200, but it can sound far better then what it's cost might make you believe. I'd say better then my Empire 598 MKII and VPI-Hw-19jr. As we all know, it's the synergy between cartridge, deck and phono preamp that make it all work.

What ever deck you have, you have to find the right combination. When you do, you will know it. I'm glad you are enjoying your Spacedeck. I'm listening to my Technics SL-D2 right now with an old Grado Master Reference and it sure is fun. This is an odd combination, as I got the table and a Marantz 2385 (with walnut cabinet) for $100. A new Grado Master Reference sells for $1,000. It doesn't sound like things should match, at least by price, but ooh my.

BTW, vinyl newbies, the Technics SL-D2 is a great deck and can be had for about $100 on eBay if you are looking. They usually have no problems and are basically ignored by most. I did add about 5 pounds of plasticaly to the underside of the plinth, which made it really quiet. They are semi-automatic, if that is a problem (but only make noise when it's time to lift off at the end of the record).

Wayner

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2012, 10:20 pm »
My second turntable was a SL-1200 MKII. Fine turntable with great speed stability. I had a DL-160, DL-110, DL-103, and Zyx R50 Bloom mounted on it.

But when I upgraded to a Scout, P5 and eventually Nott Spacedeck the Technics was below all of them in sound quality. I had the same Zyx mounted on all four tables and continue to use it on my current Spacedeck. The biggest difference was low level resolution, noise floor and soundstage, the Technics can get close to some of the tables in that area, but not near the Spacedeck in all of them.

"Ive had the Technics SL 1210 MK2 for nearly a year now and have been thinking of making a change. Ive got around £1000 / $1700 to play around with, any ideas as to what I could upgrade to, would be thinking possibly second hand, candidates Ive looked at so far are"

You currently have a Spacedeck and a 1210, and you want to get high end performance from your 1210?

Some people get into swapping out the arm and getting a better mat.  You could go for an upgraded power supply and main bearing too.  It's either something like that or selling the Technics and applying the money to another high end table.  The Technics is worth more than ever, now that it's discontinued. Mint ones go for around $600 (US) or more. You could easily use up your 1K pounds upgrading if you're buying an arm.  IMO you should sell the 1210 and apply the money to something used, and more to your liking.
neo

Ericus Rex

« Reply #23 on: 18 Sep 2012, 12:03 pm »
I think Audiomods makes a Technics-specific tonearm.  Check them out.  Great arms for the money.

http://www.audiomods.co.uk/technicsarm.html
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2012, 04:01 pm by Ericus Rex »

jjc1

« Reply #24 on: 18 Sep 2012, 05:25 pm »
  Try to audition the new Clearaudio Performance. Should be right around your high price range if my Pound to Dollar conversion is correct. I have the older model Performance with the Benz Glider and really enjoy the combo. Extremely quiet background, nicely detailed sound, excellent bass reproduction.  The Performance is Clearaudio's next step up from the Concept.  I believe there is a recent review of the Performance in TAS or Stereophile.

TONEPUB

« Reply #25 on: 18 Sep 2012, 07:00 pm »
Take a walk on the wild side and try an LP-12 for a while...

Completely different experience.  Vinyl is a journey not a destination.

wushuliu

« Reply #26 on: 18 Sep 2012, 08:14 pm »
For the SL1200 at the very least get the KABUSA damping mod for the arm before judging. That's a must try.

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

http://www.kabusa.com/td1200in.htm

Mr. Orange

• Flat speakers RULE!
« Reply #27 on: 21 Dec 2012, 06:33 am »
I realize this a very old thread but I've just discovered this forum. As a Michelle GyroDec owner since 1983, bought in London too, I thought I should chime in. Considering how long I've had it I obviously like it and have never even considered changing to a different TT.  I've upgraded mine to a MKII level and I'm only lacking the stand alone motor to bring it up to current levels. That's a nice feature of the Michelle's you can pick up an older one and then slowly upgrade. I see by your system you still haven't decided. Are you still looking?

toocool4

« Reply #28 on: 21 Dec 2012, 11:26 am »
I am an Acoustic Solid fan and I have the One to One see my avatar.

One more to throw into the mix is a second hand Roksan Xerxes

LeeH

« Reply #29 on: 21 Dec 2012, 01:36 pm »
Should have done an update a while back to this thread, Im now the very proud owner of a NAS Spacedeck c/w heavy upgrade kit and an OL 250 modded arm, also fitted an Ortofon Rondo Bronze, can honestly say a very nice combo through the EAR 834 phono stage

Cheers

Lee

orthobiz

« Reply #30 on: 21 Dec 2012, 02:10 pm »
I missed whether or not you're keeping the Technics and are adding another TT.

I love my Linn, at your price point you can get a basic deck that has upgrades and you can continue upgrading in the future.
My other TT is a VPI and I love it because it has a periphery ring to flatten out used vinyl. That also has innumerable upgrade paths (mine is a HW-19 Mk III).

If you're selling the Technics to fund the new TT, it raises different issues because different decks do things differently (I know this doesn't sound like a statement of genius, but a direct drive is different from a belt, etc.)

Paul

Mr. Orange

• Flat speakers RULE!
« Reply #31 on: 21 Dec 2012, 10:10 pm »
Should have done an update a while back to this thread, Im now the very proud owner of a NAS Spacedeck c/w heavy upgrade kit and an OL 250 modded arm, also fitted an Ortofon Rondo Bronze, can honestly say a very nice combo through the EAR 834 phono stage

Cheers

Lee

Something like this…

Would love to see photos of yours.

Wasatch

« Reply #32 on: 22 Dec 2012, 02:59 am »
There are tons of new TTs available now a days. Enjoy!

LeeH

« Reply #33 on: 27 Dec 2012, 01:02 pm »
Something like this…

Would love to see photos of yours.

Similar!