Do you use a record clamp?

Quiet Earth

Do you use a record clamp?
« on: 15 Aug 2012, 05:09 pm »
Feel free to answer any of these questions:

- Do you use a clamp or a weighted puck on top of your record?

- If you do, what quality or action does it provide that makes it sound better to you?

- Have you ever noticed any downsides to clamping (or weighting), such as an over damped sound?

- Do you think there are certain combinations of table designs or platter materials that benefit from being clamped, or is it mostly trial and error?

A little background for my basic questions. I haven't used a clamp since I sold my Souther linear arm and suspended VPI table many years ago. The Souther came with a light weight clamp (not a weight), and the VPI came with a screw down spindle clamp,,,, I think. I honestly don't remember if those devices made any difference because it has been so long. And going back before that, I had a heavy weighted puck with a strobe on top that came standard with my Harmon Kardon "T" - something or other table, which probably did make an improvement. But again it's been so long that I don't recall. I was wondering what the current thinking is on record clamps and what to look for when experimenting. I appreciate any discussion on the subject.

:thumb:

Wayner

Re: Do you use a record clamp?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2012, 08:31 pm »
I don't use any, but have made one for a customer:

I have mixed feelings about the use of a clamp. I think it sucks some of the sound out of the vinyl, perhaps due to over damping, and I never thought they solved any problems like with warped records.

My VPI has a screw down clamp which makes more sense, but it seems like a hassle as well.

I guess I just like going naked.......

8)

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2012, 08:54 pm »
I use the screw down clamps that came with the older Well Tempered turntables.
I figure that Bill Firebaugh designed the platters that way for a reason so I might as well use them.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2012, 09:32 pm »
I use the one that came with my VPI Mk19Jr. It never occured to me not to. I figure VPI knows best.

Doc

jjc1

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2012, 11:01 pm »
I use the plastic clamp that came with my Clearaudio Performance TT. Like Doc, I guess the manufacturer knows what's best. But I really haven't determined if it makes any difference in the sound.

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2012, 11:07 pm »
I use the one that came with my VPI Mk19Jr. It never occured to me not to. I figure VPI knows best.

Doc

Same for me. I also use the VPI periphery ring. I haven't done a lot of checking clamp vs. no clamp. Also, using the record on the bare metal platter surface, so the clamp makes sense to prevent the record from slipping at any point.

Paul

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2012, 11:58 pm »
I have the acrylic mat on my SOTA and have always used a clamp, but I think I'll do an A-B test as a result of this thread.

I'll put the clamp in the freezer for a few days and see if the cyro treatment helps.

pansixt

« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2012, 12:21 am »
I also have the mat and SOTA clamp. At some point I realized there was also an aluminum disc around the spindle (approx. 2 inches dia. and 1/32 thick).
I removed the disc and have spun without the clamp at times and haven't heard a difference.
James

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2012, 12:32 am »
I imagine the heavier ones put more pressure on the bearing(s).  I hadn't given this subject any thought but think I will try "naked" for awhile and see, er, hear what happens.  Some clamp onto the spindle for whatever its worth.  Anybody see a problem with that?

cheap-Jack

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2012, 12:42 am »
Hi.

- If you do, what quality or action does it provide that makes it sound better to you?

Yes, I do always put record stablizer on everytime my LP spins.

Make sure the record stabilizer is not too heavy & non-magnetic. Mine weighs only 1.1lb of diecast aluminum with wooden centre knob handle.

It makes my LP music sound more balanced with LF more firm & cleam & HF more integrated. Imaging & soundstaging is more stable with the stabilizer on.

I recommend 100% using one.

c-J

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2012, 12:53 am »
I usta use something called the "Pig" which was a rubber clamp, weighed almost nothing so no risk to bearings and such. Don't know if they're still made.

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2012, 12:58 am »

My VPI has a screw down clamp which makes more sense, but it seems like a hassle as well.

Wayner, why do you think a screw down clamp makes more sense?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2012, 01:00 am »
Turntable bearings are usually ultra-overengineered for the application.  I doubt many modern turntables would have any problem with another 2 lbs.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2012, 01:24 am »
Thunderbrick,
Aren't you concerned that playing a 45 would undo your cryo treatment?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #14 on: 16 Aug 2012, 01:32 am »
No, because I put the whole TT in the freezer.   :thumb:

pansixt

« Reply #15 on: 16 Aug 2012, 02:41 am »
Thunderbrick,
Aren't you concerned that playing a 45 would undo your cryo treatment?

After the freezer, either spin all vinyl at 78RPM (if you have that capability) or turn up the pitch to accommodate the temperature differential :thumb:.

But seriously>>> What is the reasoning for a clamping device?
I can't remember ever having vinyl slip on the platter. Wouldn't it take an insane amount of tracking pressure to slow down a record enough to cause slipping.

Also, every piece of vinyl is different as far as sitting level on the platter, so shouldn't there be an adjustable clamp and/or record level indicator on all TT's to compensate, and then send that info to the tonearm to track heavier or lighter?
James

Doggone, that's too much science.  :scratch:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #16 on: 16 Aug 2012, 03:20 am »
My SME 20/2 was designed to be used with a screw down clamp so I have always used it and haven't given it much thought.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 16 Aug 2012, 04:04 am »

- Have you ever noticed any downsides to clamping (or weighting), such as an over damped sound?

- Do you think there are certain combinations of table designs or platter materials that benefit from being clamped, or is it mostly trial and error?

What is the reasoning for a clamping device?
I can't remember ever having vinyl slip on the platter. Wouldn't it take an insane amount of tracking pressure to slow down a record enough to cause slipping.

Also, every piece of vinyl is different as far as sitting level on the platter, so shouldn't there be an adjustable clamp and/or record level indicator on all TT's to compensate, and then send that info to the tonearm to track heavier or lighter?
James

Yes, I use the screw down clamp on my VPI HW19.  This platter is designed for the clamping action, both by material and construction.  There's a washer that goes over the spindle slightly raising the center of the record so that when screwed down it flattens the record against the platter.  Not only flattening some minor warps, but connecting the vinyl to the Delrin/lead/cork composite to drain away resonances.  So no James, it doesn't have anything to do with records slipping or adjusting tracking forces.  It works great in practice and sounds much better to my ears than when run "naked", having a smoother, more coherent sound.

That being said, QE is correct to question whether there can be bad results from clamping, or weighting, tables not designed as a system for this.  I've had tables (Rega, Project) that don't like weights or clamps, and a Thorens that loved a sorbathane puck, so yes, without having a pretty good idea of what's going on at the design level. it's pretty much trial and error.   

pansixt

« Reply #18 on: 16 Aug 2012, 05:55 am »
Thanks Dan and Laura for the reply,
 I shall replace the washer (for the want of a better word), when I use the clamp,
which is 99% of the time, and pay more particular attention to the sound.

And yes, my TT was designed to be used with a clamp. But I have often pondered the necessity. Which makes this a close to home topic.

Good Stuff QE 8)
Junior

Ericus Rex

« Reply #19 on: 16 Aug 2012, 11:41 am »
I would question the wisdom in putting a 2-3 lb weight on a suspended turntable that wasn't designed for one.  The suspended tables that come to mind that do use a clamp (Oracle and VPI) usually use the lower weight screw-on system.

There are some mats that are designed to NOT be used with weight.  In those cases, the added weight (or clamp) might be detrimental to sound.