Someone just bought a very old AR turntable (new in the box) for $1095????

Wayner

I really don't understand why these people do such foolish things. It's just not that good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-AR-Turntable-Vintage-Ultra-rare-BRAND-NEW-Never-Used-in-Original-Retail-box-/270925167025?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f1465f9b1

I just don't get it.........

Wayner

decal

Collector maybe? :dunno:

BrianAbington

It's probably a nostalgia thing. Dad or grandpa probably had one.

DaveyW

BAMMER WAS IT YOU?  :lol:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
At least 8 people bid on it from $500 to final sale, so there's a few loons out there.

I'm thinking an emotion buy, they had it when they were young, or knew someone who did.

TheChairGuy

Realistically - what today is on the market in turntables (new) that would be better than this for $1095?

I'm not sure you could consider $1095 a 'bargain', but if you mix a little nostalgia in the mix and compare against contemporary offerings for that same money - it's reasonable value all in all.

Turntables have sure kept their value up versus the digital competition  :thumb:

mjosef

I bought this version of The AR Turntable in the mid 80's...for somewhere around $400. brand new with an arm.
No idea how it compares to modern tables, but I loved the wood body, the main reason I bought it...and of course there was that demo showing someone banging on the shelf where the table was mounted playing a record and not skipping a beat.  :lol:

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
I bought an AR ES-1 in the mid 80s that I just replaced 5 or 6 years ago. It was an excellent turntable. For the price I paid, it was an unbelievable value.

Sold it when I bought a VPI Scout. But I have been regretting that sale more than any other piece of audio equipment that I've parted with. Certainly the VPI is a better table. But these old AR tables - people are basically taking these beautiful cherry or walnut bodies and modding them with newer, better motors, platters, arms, speed controls. I think with the modification people are doing, these tables are as good or better than others in this particular price range.

Old timer

Reminds me of the "new in the box" Revox B-77 that I saw listed at $4500 on eBay recently.

Want to talk about crazy prices? Ever see how badly web site "tube sellers" rape audiophiles?  Don't get me started.

OzarkTom

The Ebayer listed this as 30 pound shipping, so it was more than likely an ETL-1, especially since there was no tone-arm with it. That retailed new for $700 back in the late 80's. The AR ETL-1 easily beat turntables like the SOTA, VPI, Pink triangle, Micro Seiki, Linn LP-12, Oracle, and Rega's. I was a dealer for all of these tables. The AR had more detail and a bigger soundstage than any of the ones I mentioned.

In comparison to all the new ones on the market today and the high prices, $1095 was really not a bad price for a brand new one.

orthobiz

And, like a car, it's only new once

Paul

Wayner

I'm not saying it's a bad table, but at 30+ years old, even new in the box, there are some things that have disintegrated, like the mat for one. Also, I think this one came with the "AR" arm????, and I own that one.

I wouldn't mind owning one myself, and yes I would mod it, but these prices are going hog wild lately.

Wayner

OzarkTom

The ETL-1 came with no arm. I used the Sumiko The Arm on my demo. Several of my customers and I modded our AR's with damping material under the platter, tried most of the expensive dampening mats, even the lead ones, and tried various different tonearm bases including acrylic. The stock platter with the stock felt mat always sounded better, more open and more dynamic. We even tried the Linn felt mat, and the stock AR mat was better, go figure.

All that modding was a frustrating experience, we ruined the sound of several AR's from all of these mods. I am sure the felt mat that came with the unit is still good.

tomytoons

That's an ES-1 it says it has an arm with it on the box. May worry about dampness that box looked like it was wet at one time.
A bit pricy for sure I would look used for $350-400. I had one for that price in mint condition. Threw the arm out first put on a Rega RB300 incognito at the time. Nice warmish sounding table I liked it a lot. foolish, sold it.

I think I have only seen 2 ETL-1 FS and one was at stupid prices like $3k but was blown out upgraded with Merrill upgrades.

bummrush

Well they do it cause they know somebody will buy . If it doesnt sell ,, then offer it again later . Especially for the last few years getting closer to 10 years actually,,,  eBay has turned into a place where value just doesn't fit into the picture, because there's s boatload of people who don't know value and on top they have the money to spend anyway. So the seller makes a killing and the buyer knows no better .

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
I really don't understand why these people do such foolish things. It's just not that good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-AR-Turntable-Vintage-Ultra-rare-BRAND-NEW-Never-Used-in-Original-Retail-box-/270925167025?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f1465f9b1

Wayner

Somebody paid 800 for virginity.

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
The ETL-1 came with no arm. I used the Sumiko The Arm on my demo. Several of my customers and I modded our AR's with damping material under the platter, tried most of the expensive dampening mats, even the lead ones, and tried various different tonearm bases including acrylic. The stock platter with the stock felt mat always sounded better, more open and more dynamic. We even tried the Linn felt mat, and the stock AR mat was better, go figure.

All that modding was a frustrating experience, we ruined the sound of several AR's from all of these mods. I am sure the felt mat that came with the unit is still good.

90 percent of the mods for AR tables don't address the real issues.........more like selling somebody bigger fins for their 57 Chevy.  Simple little mods that actually address the issues will push one up to some lofty standards.

macrojack

• Restricted
I'm sure I wasn't the seller and I've checked all my accounts and all of my cards. Turns out my money wasn't used for the purchase so there's no reason for me to be concerned about the value in this AR sale. Those of you who find this disturbing should do as I did so that you will have one less worry in your life. What a relief!!

SET Man

Hey!

Well, how often do you see one of these in "New In Box" condition?

Yes, the cost stuffs on eBay can be high sometime but you do pay for convenient. What is the chance of finding one like that walking around NYC streets?

Anyway, I see this as more of collector item and not really for regular use. Well, good for the buyer that he is loaded with money and won this TT.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

simoon

Wayner

The same guy was advertising the table on CraigsList in LA for $1250.00.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ele/2893758451.html