DigInDig's NX-Otica/Triple OB Sub Build

DigIndig

Re: DigInDig's NX-Otica/Triple OB Sub Build
« Reply #20 on: 5 Dec 2023, 03:46 pm »
Those look great, that veneer is really nice!! I love the fact you did the inside of the Otica's as well that makes it look awesome.

I did something similar but veneered the front and made my subs veneer black.

I thought about that, but the thought of trying to make the veneer fit around the tweeters made me rethink it. I like how you solved the problem. Nice!

oskar

« Reply #21 on: 5 Dec 2023, 04:00 pm »
persistence! They look great. And they will no doubt sound fantastic.

DigIndig

« Reply #22 on: 5 Dec 2023, 04:14 pm »
I have always love the natural warmth and beauty of veneer on speakers. Especially when they are executed at this level, nice build!

Kelly,

Thank you everyone for the kind words!  If it wasn't obvious, this is my first build outside of a simple subwoofer about 15 years ago. This is the first time I've had to deal with veneering, HVLP spray painting, etc., on this level. I have learned a lot - enough that I almost want to start over with a new flatpack to address the many issues I know I can do better on.

I also have something different planned for the crossover, as I wanted to both separate the individual driver sections as well as eliminate a board at the bottom being a dust magnet. Right now, the plan is to build three smaller boards that will rest on the braces along the sides (though I'm warming more to hanging the boards from the braces for better dust protection). More to come on that once I'm satisfied with the finish on the cabinets.

BGA

« Reply #23 on: 5 Dec 2023, 06:34 pm »

I also have something different planned for the crossover, as I wanted to both separate the individual driver sections as well as eliminate a board at the bottom being a dust magnet. Right now, the plan is to build three smaller boards that will rest on the braces along the sides (though I'm warming more to hanging the boards from the braces for better dust protection). More to come on that once I'm satisfied with the finish on the cabinets.

I did the same with the tweeter circuit, I upgraded the resisters to Path Audio and I wanted a bit more room on the main crossover board. I Mounted it on the top brace and it works great.

DigIndig

« Reply #24 on: 5 Dec 2023, 07:14 pm »
I did the same with the tweeter circuit, I upgraded the resisters to Path Audio and I wanted a bit more room on the main crossover board. I Mounted it on the top brace and it works great.

Ah!  So I'm not the first to do something like this.  Good to know!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #25 on: 5 Dec 2023, 07:47 pm »
Thank you everyone for the kind words!  If it wasn't obvious, this is my first build outside of a simple subwoofer about 15 years ago. This is the first time I've had to deal with veneering, HVLP spray painting, etc., on this level. I have learned a lot - enough that I almost want to start over with a new flatpack to address the many issues I know I can do better on.

I know that feeling! And have some kinda sad stories in my past to tell. Fast forward to now, I see it as a commitment to craftmanship and raising one's game. Exemplified with this statement, "next time I'll -______".   That always leaves the door open to learning, which I've come to treasure.