GMOs good or not?

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: GMOs good or not?
« Reply #240 on: 6 Jul 2016, 09:58 pm »
Much of any problem seems largely due to too much consumption of the not-recreational-drug-marijuana. :D

Sorta looks like you with shades and hair. :lol: Better smile though...must be stoned. :green:

Despite being a stoner he's made history, will live forever through his music, fabulously rich, has children, happily married, has a fantastic sound system, his own studio, beautiful estate and still lives a very productive life.  :thumb:

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #241 on: 6 Jul 2016, 11:31 pm »
I guess the paranoia can be boiled down to one of two things

1: Smoke too much weed that brings on irrational paranoia

or

2: Observe past practices of a company drenched in exposing the public to carcinogenic and toxic substances. Then lying about it until a court orders them not too. All while engaging in biological warfare in a overseas country for the purpose of destroying vegetation and food...

:scratch:

Since I don't smoke weed (surprise!)  I guess 2 works for me....  :lol:
You're a smart man Wered. I didn't think I'd ever say that.

Doc

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #242 on: 7 Jul 2016, 03:36 pm »
Some of you folks don't understand that the world population is putting undue strain on the food chain. The oceans are being fished out. The push for "organically" grown food is also a problem. If we only had organically raised food, about 75% of you are going to have to die. The yield of organically produced food is very low, and hence, is why it costs so much. GMOs are here to increase production of food on a limited acreage of land, so that we can attempt to feed the worlds population. Are there bad side effects? Unknown at this time. The weeds have already genetically modified themselves to become immune to Round-up ready crops. Many insects have done the same.

The destruction of bee-hives is not linked to GMOs, but rather other agricultural spraying practices that are now under review.

So to sum it all up:

Not using GMOs is not the answer.
Practicing birth control is one of the answers.
Fishing the crap out of the oceans is not the answer.
Going all organic is a death sentence for many, and is also not the answer.
Raising cattle that can grass feed is part of the answer. (piss on cow farts).

The world really needs to dial its popluation levels back to pre World War II levels.

Wayner

Your information about organic farming and yields is entirely propaganda, not one bit of truth to it. We currently don't have enough area dedicated to organic farming to support the population, but it IS entirely possible. What we can't do is continue with agriculture that is entirely dependent on fossil fuels to function. GMOs are a roll of the dice, we can't predict all the possible results. 

Also, the weeds don't "genetically modify" themselves, the definition of "GMO" and genetic modification is one of gene splicing, not simply breeding or adaptation. That is not GMO! 

Bees are sensitive to several things and you can't say GMO crops don't harm the bees, we don't know that for sure. We DO know neonicitinoid type pesticides harm bees, also some kinds of EM fields.

werd

« Reply #243 on: 7 Jul 2016, 05:29 pm »
You're a smart man Wered. I didn't think I'd ever say that.

Doc

Its the gear I chose that makes me smart.  :lol:

werd

« Reply #244 on: 7 Jul 2016, 05:38 pm »
Some of you folks don't understand that the world population is putting undue strain on the food chain. The oceans are being fished out. The push for "organically" grown food is also a problem. If we only had organically raised food, about 75% of you are going to have to die. The yield of organically produced food is very low, and hence, is why it costs so much. GMOs are here to increase production of food on a limited acreage of land, so that we can attempt to feed the worlds population. Are there bad side effects? Unknown at this time. The weeds have already genetically modified themselves to become immune to Round-up ready crops. Many insects have done the same.

The destruction of bee-hives is not linked to GMOs, but rather other agricultural spraying practices that are now under review.

So to sum it all up:

Not using GMOs is not the answer.
Practicing birth control is one of the answers.
Fishing the crap out of the oceans is not the answer.
Going all organic is a death sentence for many, and is also not the answer.
Raising cattle that can grass feed is part of the answer. (piss on cow farts).

The world really needs to dial its popluation levels back to pre World War II levels.

Wayner

GMO crops are designed to increase profits. They are not grown to "feed the world". There is a big difference. There appears to be this push to make GMOs popular because they are going to solve famine problems. There is nothing that doesn't exists (right now) that can not solve famine outside GMOs. GMOs are not going to solve hunger problems. They could, but that means the way the world does business would have to change. That is not going to happen.

Now with some gambling. I will see your cow fart and raise you a cow patty....  :lol:
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2016, 08:51 pm by werd »

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #245 on: 7 Jul 2016, 06:40 pm »
GMO crops are designed to increase profits. They are not grown to "feed the world".
Now you hit the real thrut behind GMO, this is final point to me.

Guy 13

« Reply #246 on: 7 Jul 2016, 11:25 pm »
deleted.....

Guy 13

« Reply #247 on: 7 Jul 2016, 11:27 pm »
Today, to me,
everything is about profits $ $ $ $
Period.

Guy 13

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #248 on: 8 Jul 2016, 03:41 pm »
IARC Scientist Reaffirms Glyphosate's Link to Cancer as Monsanto's Requests to Dismiss Cancer Lawsuits Denied

http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/318-66/37885-iarc-scientist-reaffirms-glyphosates-link-to-cancer-as-monsantos-requests-to-dismiss-cancer-lawsuits-denied

Guy 13

« Reply #249 on: 8 Jul 2016, 03:50 pm »
IARC Scientist Reaffirms Glyphosate's Link to Cancer as Monsanto's Requests to Dismiss Cancer Lawsuits Denied

http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/318-66/37885-iarc-scientist-reaffirms-glyphosates-link-to-cancer-as-monsantos-requests-to-dismiss-cancer-lawsuits-denied

Thanks for that link.
Very interesting.
It's not because you are a BIG corporation that you can get away
with everything you want.

Guy 13

OzarkTom

« Reply #250 on: 9 Jul 2016, 12:56 am »
Costco Is Selling So Much Organic Produce, It’s Helping Farmers Grow More

http://www.ewao.com/a/costco-selling-much-organic-produce-helping-farmers-grow/

As a result, Costco has launched a pilot program to loan organic farmers money to buy land and equipment to increase the supply of the wholesome fruits and veggies.

Guy 13

« Reply #251 on: 9 Jul 2016, 04:10 am »
Hi all,
spending one year in Montreal, Canada
I did my weakly grocery shopping at Walmart,
why Walmart and not Metro, Provigo, IGA (Local guys) ?
Because Walmart was 20% or more cheaper than the other guys.
In addition, Walmart had more bio-organic fresh produces.
I did many times price comparaison between standard grown
and organic grows produces
and organic was in general 20 to 50% more expensive.
Bananas where the item that had the least price difference between standard
and organic grown.
I am ready to buy organic grown,
but with a budget of a retired man, cannot always afford it.

Guy 13

werd

« Reply #252 on: 10 Jul 2016, 02:27 pm »

Nice post  :thumb:.

Clears things up.

weatherman1

« Reply #253 on: 13 Jul 2016, 05:17 pm »
Now the food manufacturers are trying to hide the information and I don't have a smartphone.  http://qz.com/729778/big-food-is-disclosing-the-nitty-gritty-details-of-our-food-in-a-place-where-no-one-looks/

werd

« Reply #254 on: 14 Jul 2016, 03:23 pm »
Now the food manufacturers are trying to hide the information and I don't have a smartphone.  http://qz.com/729778/big-food-is-disclosing-the-nitty-gritty-details-of-our-food-in-a-place-where-no-one-looks/

Scanner reading for labeling  is not unreasonable. Not using scanner codes will only limit the amount of info. I am beginning to see tablets in aisles for scanners so you probably won't need a phone shortly.

OzarkTom

« Reply #255 on: 14 Jul 2016, 03:53 pm »
Scanner reading for labeling  is not unreasonable. Not using scanner codes will only limit the amount of info. I am beginning to see tablets in aisles for scanners so you probably won't need a phone shortly.

But have you read what is exempt? A lot of GMO products including sugar beets and soy oil, all 100% GMO.

https://consumerist.com/2016/07/12/federal-gmo-labeling-bill-opens-more-loopholes-than-it-closes/

OzarkTom

« Reply #256 on: 15 Jul 2016, 02:04 am »

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #257 on: 15 Jul 2016, 02:29 am »

drphoto

« Reply #258 on: 15 Jul 2016, 02:37 am »
I dunno for sure, but as a former phD organic chemistry student w/ some biochem experience, I doubt GMO will hurt you. Yeah, I like organic food myself. I quit eating meat about 6 years ago, more because I don't like the way modern factory farms treat animals, but I suppose there are health benefits. My primary care doc was amazed by how low my lipid and cholesterol levels were for someone my age.

Yeah, I sorta think Monsanto sucks. They developed Roundup herbicide and then sold ag seeds that were engineered to tolerate, essentially owning the market.

The downside of that as I see as someone with a science background is it limits genetic diversity. Which is essential for resistance to disease.

However, maybe the plus side is GMO's can be a very helpful to the third world. I think I read an article about an engineered rice plant that produces vitamin A which is needed for good vision development, (if I remember correctly) This vitamin is not normally found in regular rice

But I seriously doubt GMO foods will unleash some sort of disease or other direct health issue.

I think any potential problems are more economic. It seems like fewer companies are controlling more of our lives these days. And that leads to monopolies and price fixing etc. Hell, years ago I thought Walmart was the boogyman who ran all the small retailers out of business. Now the evil empire seems to be Amazon.

Sorry if I got semi political with those last comments. But I put my money where my mouth is, I try to shop either local, or from independent dealers. Even if it cost me a bit more.

I might be wrong, but once Amazon corners the market on retail, which they are rapidly doing, I'm willing to bet their prices will rise. I gotta hand it to Jeff Bezos. He plays the long con. Give up short term profit to corner the market. They are convenient. I had to get a prop for a photo shoot ASAP. found there, and here in 2 days.

I hope this did not come off as some sort of leftist rant. Not my intent. I do think big companies controlling markets are scary. GMO's? not so much (in terms of affecting health)

drphoto

« Reply #259 on: 15 Jul 2016, 02:40 am »
BTW: humans have been sort of doing this sort of thing for a long time by selective breeding of plants and animals. Yeah, they're not gene splicing, but if you want a dog, you start with the less vicious wolf. After a few generations, you've got Rover!  :)