LS 36.5 differences and similarities to CJ Preamps?

artemus

LS 36.5 differences and similarities to CJ Preamps?
« on: 24 Aug 2009, 02:44 pm »
This is my 1st post at the circle. Hopefully it is posted at the right place.
I'm in the market for a tube pre and have been looking at CJ since i am a fan and my amp is a CJ MF2500A (SS)
My present preamp is a CJ PFR (also SS) So i am familiar with the CJ sound. That said, I have read some very good things about the 36.5 which has piqued my curiosity.
So what are the differences and the similarities between the CJ 16LS, 17LS2  and the 36.5?
The one area that i do not like in a preamp is a forward, in your face raw sounding presentation. I am assuming from what I have read that the  Modwright 36.5 does not have this kind of presentation, but want to make sure. Thanks

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: LS 36.5 differences and similarities to CJ Preamps?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2009, 03:01 pm »
The only way to know is to find a dealer and bring it in to your system for demo.  The "Modwright sound" if there is any (and I should know, I've owned just about everything Dan makes or mods) is a very neutral presentation, especially for a tube pre with tube rectification.  The classic tube bloom or midrange bloat is not there; instead a slight color shift to the warmer side of neutral....barely.  The bass is deeper than you'd expect from tubes, and the dynamics, although not in your face, are quite amazing.  The overall presentation is usually a few rows back from front row, but this has way more to do with system makeup/synergy.  For the dual mono 2 box 36.5 you can alter the color palette and dynamic (seat position) slightly more in that you can tube roll both the signal tubes and the large pair of rectifiers in the PS.

Read Srajan's comments, both in his 36.5 review on 6Moons (appended twice once the PS was released) and his comments when using the 36.5 with other reviewed gear.  It is his pre of choice for basically all ss amps, and a few tube ones.

P.S.  Heard a few CJ pre's in my day but never in my system, so no comment on the differences per se.

artemus

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2009, 04:35 pm »
Thanks Ted
i have read srajan's review, though not the updated. I will look for it.

rpf

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2009, 03:48 pm »
I've owned both the CJ 17LS2 and the Modwright LS 36.5 (single box which I still have). I've also had the Act 2 in for audition. I like all of them.

Ted nailed the characteristics of the MW and I've preferred it with the tube amps I've had here. The CJs lack the dynamics and PRAT of the MW but give a greater harmonic fullness and dimensionality. I prefer them with a SS amp. So it comes down to your accompanying equipment, music choices and presentation preferences.

Good luck,
Rob