Price adjustments coming...

jsalk

« on: 12 Mar 2006, 02:28 am »
There has been some speculation lately about price increases.  So I suppose this is as good a time as any to let it be known that prices will be adjusted on many speaker models and upgrades, especially the HT3's.  

When I started building speakers as a hobby, I did it mostly for pleasure.  But lately, after spending as much as 14 hours per day working, many times seven days a week, it is obvious that we need additional help and equipment.  Unfortunately, that means higher overhead.

But we do intend to continue to provide great value.  For example, we have given a great deal of thought to producing a less labor intensive cabinet for the HT3's.  This would allow us to continue offering it at today's current pricing while, at the same time, offer our usual high-end custom cabinets at higher cost.  Thus, each model would be available at two different price levels.  So those who are not interested in exotic woods/veneers would still be able to get a speaker at roughly the same price we now offer them for.  Those looking for more exotic cabinets will still be able to have virtually anything they want.  It is an idea we will continue to explore.

I will post additional thoughts on this topic over the next few weeks and price adjustments will probably be effective in about 45 days.  In the mean time, your feedback would be very welcome.

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2006, 02:33 am »
Sounds to me like it's long overdue!

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
price adjustment
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2006, 03:45 am »
as mucch as your wood working adds an extrem amont of value thier is a big market fir the people like me who say spray it black and wish you had something that sounds half as good. as a pro cabnet maker i would love to be able to buy a kit (crosover and speakers  + prints fer cab ) i would not like to comete with you on finish you are the master

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2006, 01:31 pm »
I just thought that I should let you know that Patty Noye, who works for me, wants a pair of HT-3s for sure.  She just has not figured out what wood and finish she wants yet.  She feel in love with them at first glance when she came into the sound room the first time I had them set up.

Her husband, who is a non-audiophile and normally would care less, even was struck by the HT-3s and spent some time with me looking over the HT-3 gallery at your web site.  This was amazingly unusual for him.  They are such high quality furniture that he has given her the green light to get a pair which really surprized me.

Of course Patty loves the sound too.

Frank

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2006, 01:52 pm »
ecramer -

Unfortunately, kits are not available.  But a black painted cabinet is in the works.

Frank -

Tell Patty I'll do an extra special nice job for her!

- Jim

Wally King

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2006, 02:46 pm »
Jim,

Would I be correct in assuming that any price increases will apply to future orders only and not to orders already placed?

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2006, 03:18 pm »
Wally -

Yes, you are correct.  The new pricing will not go into effect for at least 30 days and will not affect existing orders.

- Jim

texas steve

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2006, 04:01 pm »
Quote from: jsalk
Wally -

Yes, you are correct.  The new pricing will not go into effect for at least 30 days and will not affect existing orders.

- Jim

Ok we can all breath now!   Of course we all knew that Jim would be fare.

steve

jermmd

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2006, 04:10 pm »
Boo to price adjustments! :(

randybessinger

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2006, 05:18 pm »
Since I know how many hours Jim is working a week, I think minumum wage for his time is the least we can expect:)  Price increase understood.

Nick B

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2006, 08:30 pm »
I'm hoping it's no more than a 10% increase. I'd love to have these speakers in a year or two when I move and do HT also.

Christof

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2006, 10:43 pm »
Jim, I think your customers will connect with you at precisely the level of effort and talent that you put into the process of creating your speakers, regardless of fair price you ask.  A price increase is probably past due.

"The times they are a changin'...."
                                            b.d.

Jason Buccellato

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2006, 12:21 am »
The price increase is overdue and more than justified.

I live not too far from Jim, and have been to his facility. This past winter, Jim allowed me to take part in the build process of my HT3's. I have built a couple of speaker kits in the past, but was unprepared for the incredible work load that comes with the construction of the HT3's. There are a myriad of ways in which to cut corners and time with the cabinetry, but then the result would be far from its current splendor. At every turn, the work is painstaking. Jim puts detailed work as a priority too.

I can only imagine that most people who contemplate the Salks cannot appreciate the bargain they are getting. You just don't know!!!

Sparks

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2006, 03:38 am »
Jim's speakers offer unrivaled quality for the price.

Papajin

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2006, 05:58 am »
It's also probably not just a matter of quality vs. price either. Simple fact of the matter is that Jim seems swamped with work right now.  More than he can comfortably handle probably.  In order to bring the work to a manageable level he can either increase his workforce becoming a bigger company in order to handle the high demand and thus losing the personal touch you currently get, or he can raise the price and maintain the personal touch, but possibly losing the orders of some of the people that were on the fence due to cost.  In theory the orders lost due to the price increase will be made up for in increased revenue on a per-piece basis.  A lot also probably depends on how fast he wants to be able to churn out a set of speakers from start to finish.  Right now I'm guessing the turn-around is higher than he'd like it.  If the queue for new orders is increasing faster than they're being completed then obviously he needs to do something to keep equation in balance, or the house of cards will eventually topple.

Of course, this is all conjecture and/or musing aloud on my part so I could be completely wrong. :)

jsalk

« Reply #15 on: 2 Apr 2006, 02:18 pm »
Papajin -

You pretty much expressed the situation correctly.

We simply couldn't keep up with the volume of orders without extending wait times to over a year or more.  So we needed additional space and help.  This increases overhead.  But our current pricing does not take this into account.  So prices need to be increased to reflect increased costs.

However, we really don't want to price our speakers out-of-reach.  So we are working on a model which will allow us to continue to offer our speakers at rates at or near their present levels with more simplified cabinets.  It will be a tiered approach.  Black (or other requested colors) cabinets with no frills for roughly the same price as today, more simplified veneered cabinets at the second level and full-blown cabinets as we have been doing at the top level.

There is an incredible amount of labor in our full-blown cabinets.  Everything takes time to build - trim, plinths, grills, extra front baffles, etc.  So our full-blown cabinets will likely get a hefty price increase.  But the basic cabinets will be available with the same level of performance at roughly the same prices as today.  The cabinets will just be not as complex and costly to build.  And of course, because they are custom, all options will be available at all three cabinet levels.

Hopefully this will allow choices that are appropriate for every individual.

I would expect the new tiered approach and pricing structure will go into affect about April 15th.

- Jim

Nick B

« Reply #16 on: 2 Apr 2006, 04:08 pm »
In regards to the simplified cabinets, does that mean somewhat thinner MDF and different bracing/rigidity? IOW, will the simplified cabinet sound the same, but just look a bit different?
Thanks   Nick

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 2 Apr 2006, 05:48 pm »
Nick -

Quote from: Nick B
In regards to the simplified cabinets, does that mean somewhat thinner MDF and different bracing/rigidity? IOW, will the simplified cabinet sound the same, but just look a bit different?
Thanks   Nick

There will be absolutely no change in cabinet shape, bracing or materials used.  But the base cabinets will not have wood trim, an extra front baffle on the tweeter/midrange or plinths.  (Of course, these can always be added to an order if desired.)

Basically the base cabinet will be finished in black satin lacquer with a straight front and the capability of using smaller spikes in the bottom of the cabinet itself.

This greatly reduces the labor involved in building the cabinets and will allow us to offer them at the lowest possible price.  But there will be no compromise in terms of build quality and no change in speaker performance.

I hope that answers your question.

- Jim

Nick B

« Reply #18 on: 2 Apr 2006, 07:42 pm »
Jim        It does.       Thanks   Nick