New sealed HT2's (stealth version)

jsalk

« on: 25 Feb 2006, 07:23 pm »
Well, I promised a picture of the new sealed HT2's as soon as they were complete and here are a couple.

Doug Harrison wanted black painted cabinets and black-coned W18's (which are not available in the W18 version I use in other Veracity models).  These speakers will be used for a home theater application behind an acoustically-transparent wall.  So there didn't seem much point in doing a fine veneered wood finish.  This is straight black satin lacquer.

How do they sound?  Well, Dennis Murphy did his usual great work and hit another home run.  Thanks Dennis!  They image extremely well with the new LCY ribbon tweeter and, of course, the W18's are legendary to begin with.  So how can you lose?

Of course, with a sealed cabinet, they do not have the bass extension that will be evident in the ported, floor-standing version of the HT2's (yet to be built).  But with a good, FAST sub, they should work great.

I'll post pics of the ported, floor-standing version in about a month.

- Jim

Sparks

« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2006, 07:50 pm »
Just got back from the lumber yard and putting off what I should be doing on a Saturday morning...
Let's see I haven't checked the Salk Circle in awhile BAM!

There they are, my new speakers. Joy, rapture!

I gotta admit, when Jim talked about "painting" them I started to second guess my decision about
not getting a nice rosewood veneer but really I wasn't thinking clearly.
Jim not make something gorgeous?
No way.

I love the look, Jim. It's how I envisioned them in my mind.
I know that pictures can't do them justice.
They're just what I wanted
and ordering custom speakers really is all about me afterall isn't it :wink:

It's been just about 4 months since I first contacted Jim with my initial request, I think I've been a pretty patient guy so far, pretty much just putting it out of my mind.
But seeing them now I really am excited about plugging them in and closing my eyes.

Jim & Dennis, thanks for your excellent work.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2006, 08:15 pm »
Wow!  It was worth the wait. :)   Beautiful work, Jim.

jermmd

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2006, 08:18 pm »
Jim,

How would these compare to a pair of LCR's stood up on end?

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2006, 10:35 pm »
Joe -

Quote from: jermmd
Jim,

How would these compare to a pair of LCR's stood up on end?

I assume you are talking about a pair of Veracity HTC center channels placed in a vertical position.  In this case, of course, the tweeter would have to be oriented appropriately.  If so, the woofers would be farther apart than in the HTC design.  That is one reason we went with the LCY ribbon.

Other than that, they should sound very similar.  In fact, you should not be able to tell them apart.  They use the same woofers and in the audible range, the tweeters should sound about the same.  Unfortunately, I can't really test it because HTC's have the tweeter oriented wrong for use vertically.

I hope I understood your question.

- Jim

jermmd

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2006, 12:16 am »
Jim,

That was exactly my question. I couldn't remember the name of the center channel so I guessed. :oops:

Thanks,

smithsonga

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2006, 03:57 am »
These look awesome, bravo!  Very different than the norm and I love it!

Jim