First Mod Attempt By Rookie!

alana106

First Mod Attempt By Rookie!
« on: 1 Dec 2006, 03:43 am »
Greetings Gas Guys,

Well, it seems, the more I hang with this crowd, the more daring I seem to get.  aa     Scott brought over his modified Korato KVP-20 preamp last spring, and ever since, my Rogue Magnum 99, just never seemed to please me.   So, I bit the bullet and got a Korato.  Scott fore warned me that the mods would be needed, so I was prepared.   
  Thanks to a little confidence building by Steve last Saturday night, I got up the nerve to try the first mod of replacing the output caps. With only about 40 hours of break-in in my workshop, I moved it back to my main system.  There is a definite improvement.  Everything sounds more open and lively.  I'll let it continue to run, as I don't know how long these Caps might take to completely settle down.
The before and after shots below show just how big these V-Caps are.

Alan

Scott F.

Re: First Mod Attempt By Rookie!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2006, 03:54 am »
Nice job Alan :thumb: Glad you like the improvements. Give the oilers a solid 100 to 200 hours to fully settle in.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2006, 04:18 am »
Lookin good Alan.  I'm gonna let mine break in a bit longer to get a good handle on the sound of the stock piece (IMO MUCH better out of the box now with the new Mundorf caps from the factory) before I put the oilers in. 

Bryan

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2006, 04:44 am »
Looks good.  Yeah, the Mcaps are far from great.  What are they using now?  A better mundorf?

Looks like there is an cap between two gain stages on the preamp section too, I'd think about maybe replacing those and look at the power supply after that.  Maybe a DACT CT2 for the attenuator too.

Looks like a fun one, good to hear from you guys

-Paul Hilgeman

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2006, 04:48 am »
Those look like Venhaus's caps.  Good job, bet you feel proud of your new baby!  Just watch it...its a slippery slope you are standing on.   :icon_lol:

DeadFish

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2006, 04:51 am »
Outstanding Alan! 

Ain't 'dinking' with it kind of addictive?

Us guys will have you jumping motorcycles over old ladies in wheel chairs eventually.  :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad yer still having fun!
Looking forward to a listen, evntually!

Best regards,
Bill

steve k

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2006, 04:59 am »
Nice job, Alan!! Clean and neat. I knew you could do it. Next you'll be modding the vacuum cleaner like Mike D!  :green:

Just kidding. aa
steve

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2006, 05:00 am »
Jumping old ladies with motorcycles and modding vacuum cleaners....  God we're a sick bunch  :roll:  :green:

Paul.

The interstage coupling caps are slated to get replaced with VH Teflons. 

Any suggestions for caps for the PS?

Bryan

alana106

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2006, 03:34 am »
   Looks like I passed my first test; seeing all of the nice comments...Thanks!    I just need to be careful that I don't become overly confident, and begin to think I know what I'm doing. :lol:
  The Vacuum cleaner idea sounds quite interesting, really .  (Just like Tool man Taylor on TV)  Can anything really have too much power? :drool:

Scott F.

« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2006, 03:38 am »
Any suggestions for caps for the PS?

Two words.......Black Gates

alana106

« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2006, 03:49 am »
Hey Scott,

I think Bryan was already checking out some resistors to order.  Thought that you used the Teflon's for the coupling caps, did you also change the PS Cap? 
  Did managed to score a pair of Siemen ECL82s off of EBay for Bryan and I.  (Who knows how long before they show up from Germany)