Our Ultimate 70 mother board available again.

avahifi

Our Ultimate 70 mother board available again.
« on: 5 Nov 2020, 03:24 pm »
Do to lots of demand, I have run a new batch of our PC-1104R2 mother board for our Ultimate 70 rebuild.

The rebuild plans are free (email me at Frank@avahifi.com for them).  The necessary new mother board is $40 plus $10 shipping.  I will have the new run of them here in about 3 weeks.  We no longer stock the parts for this application.  All are available at Mouser or DigiKey.

The Dyna ST-70 amp still lives!

Frank

rcag_ils

Re: Our Ultimate 70 mother board available again.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2020, 02:40 pm »
I have the board from some years ago, it's such a pain to gather all the parts, that's the reason why it still sitting in my parts bin along with my unfinished projects.

trebejo

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2020, 08:02 pm »
Hmmm...

I'm kinda curious about this. So if you get a randomly selected fully-functioning vintage st-70 and you go through the fun of cleaning it... is it just a case of swapping out that old ugly rectangular circuit board and replacing it with this board?

Plus of course getting the parts from Mouser, DigiKey and soldering a couple of things and, voila, new amp?

avahifi

Re: Our Ultimate 70 mother board available again
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2020, 10:38 pm »
Our Ultimate 70 is a major redesign of the original Dyna 70 with four regulated power supplies and many circuit improvements.

The complete build manual is available from us at no charge.  Just email me, frank@avahifi.com, and request it.

Our PC-1104R2 mother board is $40 plus $10 shipping.  Supply your own parts.  It is a pretty easy project.

Frsnk

heiba

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2020, 03:55 pm »
I use mine every day - love it.

Ola
In Norway

Brett Buck

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2020, 04:50 am »
Hmmm...

I'm kinda curious about this. So if you get a randomly selected fully-functioning vintage st-70 and you go through the fun of cleaning it... is it just a case of swapping out that old ugly rectangular circuit board and replacing it with this board?

Plus of course getting the parts from Mouser, DigiKey and soldering a couple of things and, voila, new amp?

Pretty much. It really is a very different amplifier and *vastly* better. It's easy to do, it took me about an evening. The only disconcerting part was finishing it, hooking it up to speakera with and flipping the switch. Dead silence. I figure I had REALLY screwed it up, but no, I could hear the mica scraping up the insides as the tubes at it heated up, but otherwise, NOTHING, absolute dead silence. Hooked up a Discman for test purposes, bam, perfect balance, no stray hum, remarkable.

If I had to do it again, I would get the Dynakitparts version with the Frank kit and do it from scratch with new parts, rather than do another filthy clapped-out ST-70 from the 60's.

Brett

rcag_ils

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2020, 02:38 pm »
I would get the Dynakitparts version with the Frank kit and do it from scratch with new parts

That was my plan, build it from scratch. About 13 years ago, I managed to obtain two brand new ST-70 chassis, and two brand new Mark III chassis. I started gathering a bunch of parts here and there. Then other obligation in life kind of taking over, building a new house, kids growing up, new job and etc. My audio parts been sitting, sitting and sitting and never get finished. My hobby has changed, I am a lesser audiophile than I used to be. I look at all the audio equipment and parts that I've been collecting over the years, and it often worries of how am I going to get rid of it when I get real old.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2020, 01:27 am »
What is real old? Asking for a friend.. :D

rcag_ils

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2020, 03:55 pm »
What is real old?

I don't supposed you've ever visited a nursing home.

G E

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2020, 10:43 pm »
That was my plan, build it from scratch. About 13 years ago, I managed to obtain two brand new ST-70 chassis, and two brand new Mark III chassis. I started gathering a bunch of parts here and there. Then other obligation in life kind of taking over, building a new house, kids growing up, new job and etc. My audio parts been sitting, sitting and sitting and never get finished. My hobby has changed, I am a lesser audiophile than I used to be. I look at all the audio equipment and parts that I've been collecting over the years, and it often worries of how am I going to get rid of it when I get real old.

Don’t wait that long!

Instead, sell it, turn it into cash. My wife started a “simplification routine” a while back and I jumped in too. Amazing how much stuff is in the closet or even on the shelf that isn’t contributing.

it can help a young audiophile, or one who hasn’t the means to buy new. And it brings in $$$ to fund something that interests you. Or stick it in an IRA  and let it grow.

G E

« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2020, 10:45 pm »
What is real old? Asking for a friend.. :D

18 year old scotch is real old compared to its 12 year old brother.

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2020, 10:52 pm »
I think REAL old is about 20 years older than you are.

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2020, 10:54 pm »
I know that ROUTINE surgery is surgery to someone else.

rcag_ils

« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2020, 06:28 pm »
Don’t wait that long!

Instead, sell it, turn it into cash. My wife started a “simplification routine” a while back and I jumped in too. Amazing how much stuff is in the closet or even on the shelf that isn’t contributing.

Selling takes time, and if the items have been in my possession for that long, I don't really want to sell them. I know people spent big dollars on sports cars, and expensive items after they retired. They think one big estate sale would get rid off all that they accumulated after they die. It's true in most cases, just hope that their next of kin or wives know what they are selling and get the right values.