New!

Jimflip

New!
« on: 26 Oct 2020, 03:53 am »
Hi,

New here.

Recently dug out some W20/Denton Wharfedales from storage to tie into a Sonos 120 and realized that one woofer isn't functioning. Fell into a bit of a rabbit hole of "should I buy some old speakers" or "build my own".

Tried to buy a pair of old Wharfedales on eBay (local pickup), but the universe had other ideas. (The guy had sold them privately but forgotten to remove the listing  :duh:)

So...  here I am.

I'm looking forward to learning a great deal about electronics and working on my very rudimentary wood-shop skills.

Cheerio
Jim 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2020, 04:13 am »
Welcome Jim.
Dont know if  Its the case but some cone drivers refuse tô emit sound after some months unused, in this case you have to connect the speaker tô the amp with minimal/zero volume, no sound for 30 minutes or só.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2020, 06:03 am by FullRangeMan »

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2020, 04:28 am »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2020, 04:45 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jim   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2020, 12:22 pm »
Welcome!

The most advanced loudspeakers available today are active designs that use wave guide loaded tweeters.  Look to Buchardt A500, Genesys "The Ones", KEF LS50W2, or JBL 708P for "affordable" examples of some of the best.  No way can DIY compete with the R&D put into these examples.