Introduction

DavidKesner

Introduction
« on: 19 Oct 2020, 07:48 pm »
David from Boise, Idaho, USA. Long time music fan but new to higher end audio. Just getting my system together. GoldenEar Triton Reference Speakers with IsoAcoutics Gaia II Feet, Pass Labs INT-250 integrated amp, Oppo BPD-105 disc player, Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker Cables, Synergystic Research Foundation XLR Interconnect, AudioQuest NRG-Z3 Power Cord, and Furutech e-TP66 Power Distribution. Musical taste is heavily rooted in singer/songwriter and progressive rock. Exclusively listen to redbook CD's. Musiic room is an 18' wide, 30' long, 8' tall unfinished basement. Need to get my room acoustics done next.

Phil A

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2020, 12:44 am »
Welcome!

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2020, 12:45 am »
Hi David and welcome to AudioCircle

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2020, 12:58 am »
Welcome

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2020, 12:18 pm »
Welcome!

Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition.  It's the consummate audiophile guide to how loudspeakers/subwoofers behave in-room.  But it fails to address sound isolation issues. 

15 years ago we built a new house which included a dedicated study (audio in the front/office in the back), 8ft x 13ft x 21ft (Fibonacci ratios).  It was a practical build: staggered insulated stud walls for interior partitions; insulated exterior fiberglass door (wood grain that can be stained/painted) with weather seal; lined/insulated flexible ductwork (can't hear the furnace fan).  My downfall was the ceiling: builder refused to use metal Z channel furring strips to suspend the drywall and I had recessed can light fixtures installed; 12 inches of insulation doesn't help all that much.  Even then the initial impression was that it was spooky isolated in there.  Recommend wall sconces in place of recessed cans.

Following Toole and Earl Geddes (another respected acoustician) I use (3) carefully placed subwoofers, (4) 2ft x 4ft GIK (see them here at Audio Circle) range limited 244 panels, (6) 2ft x 4ft GIK full range 244 panels, (3) randomly filled tall bookcases (as casual diffusers), and <500 Hz Dirac room correction software.  I listen mid-field.

Bigger rooms are better as long as a reasonable shape is maintained.  Your's is pretty good (no multiples of primary room dimensions). 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2020, 01:24 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC David   :thumb: 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2020, 01:43 pm »
Welcome David, I'm in Boise too.

I'm not much of a hobnobber, but enjoy talking audio nerd-ery. Give me a shout if you'd like to get together.

DavidKesner

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2020, 04:10 pm »
Thank you. I will seek this out.

Welcome!

Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition.  It's the consummate audiophile guide to how loudspeakers/subwoofers behave in-room.  But it fails to address sound isolation issues. 

15 years ago we built a new house which included a dedicated study (audio in the front/office in the back), 8ft x 13ft x 21ft (Fibonacci ratios).  It was a practical build: staggered insulated stud walls for interior partitions; insulated exterior fiberglass door (wood grain that can be stained/painted) with weather seal; lined/insulated flexible ductwork (can't hear the furnace fan).  My downfall was the ceiling: builder refused to use metal Z channel furring strips to suspend the drywall and I had recessed can light fixtures installed; 12 inches of insulation doesn't help all that much.  Even then the initial impression was that it was spooky isolated in there.  Recommend wall sconces in place of recessed cans.

Following Toole and Earl Geddes (another respected acoustician) I use (3) carefully placed subwoofers, (4) 2ft x 4ft GIK (see them here at Audio Circle) range limited 244 panels, (6) 2ft x 4ft GIK full range 244 panels, (3) randomly filled tall bookcases (as casual diffusers), and <500 Hz Dirac room correction software.  I listen mid-field.

Bigger rooms are better as long as a reasonable shape is maintained.  Your's is pretty good (no multiples of primary room dimensions).

DavidKesner

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2020, 04:14 pm »
I am not very schooled in audio nerd-ery. I just like to listen to music and rely on the advice and reviews of others and then compare that on what my ears hear. There doesn't seem to be much of a group in Boise any more but I know  a few others and would like to start a group to get together for listening parties. Of course when all this Cov-Id crap gets over.

Welcome David, I'm in Boise too.

I'm not much of a hobnobber, but enjoy talking audio nerd-ery. Give me a shout if you'd like to get together.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2020, 11:01 pm »
Musical taste is heavily rooted in singer/songwriter and progressive rock.
Hi David,
Please note our Krautrock thread:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=157199.0