Really starting to come together

sjsfiveo

Really starting to come together
« on: 4 Jan 2024, 11:06 pm »
I have been in this hobby for about 5-6 years now and I've gone through a lot of gear finding "my sound" . I have had a lot of help along the way but its really coming together now. Clayton and now David with 3 sets of Spatial speakers X5's, M4's  and now X3's, every amp Don Sachs has made, Valhalla, KT88 I was lucky enough to get Don's personal 300B stereo amp, that was a game changer for my system! Then onto his Mono's. Spatial and Don are a match made in heaven.

rockadanny

Re: Really starting to come together
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2024, 11:21 pm »
Beautiful room and set up! Bet it sounds terrific. 
Well done.  :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2024, 12:33 am »
Hi,

You've put together a great system in just a few years. I've been into hifi for almost 40 years :).

Now sit back and enjoy your music

Cheers Rod

morganc

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2024, 12:39 am »
Great set up!  Where do you live?  I’d love to hear it if you’re near Sedona let me know !  I have X-3s and want to hear Dons new creations. 

sjsfiveo

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2024, 01:03 am »
Just outside of Detroit

Steve

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2024, 02:14 am »
Beautiful system! Spatial/Don's new preamp looks pretty awesome too. Can you describe the difference you experience between the 300b amps vs the KT88? I've had both variants from other brands but wondering what your experience has been with Don's amps. Thanks.

sjsfiveo

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2024, 04:03 am »
Beautiful system! Spatial/Don's new preamp looks pretty awesome too. Can you describe the difference you experience between the 300b amps vs the KT88? I've had both variants from other brands but wondering what your experience has been with Don's amps. Thanks.

Stepping up to the 300b stereo was a game changing move for me in terms of have having a seriously good amp in my system .
It brought a whole new level of detail I wasn't use too I think mainly due to how quiet and dark the background became. Then of course the richness  of texture and tone of voices and instruments with the 300b tube is easily apparent. Bigger and better imaging and sound stage. Moving up to the Monos got you even more of that by a significant margin but I also got substantial increase in separation of notes. Overall the musicality is off the chart and you can listen for hours with no fatigue because the music is rich and full with zero harshness.

dls123

• Industry Participant
    • Citation Restoration
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2024, 04:13 pm »
Stepping up to the 300b stereo was a game changing move for me in terms of have having a seriously good amp in my system .
It brought a whole new level of detail I wasn't use too I think mainly due to how quiet and dark the background became. Then of course the richness  of texture and tone of voices and instruments with the 300b tube is easily apparent. Bigger and better imaging and sound stage. Moving up to the Monos got you even more of that by a significant margin but I also got substantial increase in separation of notes. Overall the musicality is off the chart and you can listen for hours with no fatigue because the music is rich and full with zero harshness.

A bit of background.  Steve has the original stereo prototype of the 300b amp that I first built as proof of concept.  As we developed the custom interstage transformers, I updated it for him.  Thought he had sold it when he got the monos, but guess he still has it.  The smaller monos were the second prototype that we used at the Seattle show.  They feature separate power supplies for the output tubes and the rest of the amp.  I then updated them with interstage transformers up front rather than LC coupling, which improves things quite a bit, and that is the version he is using now.  It is considerably better than what was presented in Seattle.  There have been improvements to the preamp as well.  The final version of the amps is what Spatial Audio Lab is now producing.  This one is a larger case so that Lynn and I could fit everything in that we wanted to do.  It has Monolith Magnetics transformers, a completely separate power supply section of the amp with a shielding bracket between all the power supply components and the signal side of the amp, a rework of the separate power supplies for each section of the amp, and the addition of gas regulator tubes on the input stage power supply.  The result is a very large step up even from what Steve is listening to.  Complete blackness, even more micro detail, and a sense of power and authority that the previous version didn't have.  The timbre and tonality of instruments is even better as well.

sjsfiveo

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2024, 04:40 pm »
Thanks Don, the 300b stereo is going up for sale shortly, it's a GREAT amp but I can't keep them all.

dls123

• Industry Participant
    • Citation Restoration
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2024, 04:45 pm »
Thanks Don, the 300b stereo is going up for sale shortly, it's a GREAT amp but I can't keep them all.
Of course not.  It should go to a good home to make someone else happy.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jan 2024, 08:09 pm »
What are the specs for the 300b stereo?

dls123

• Industry Participant
    • Citation Restoration
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2024, 11:36 pm »
That 300b stereo prototype is about 25 watts/ch.  4 and 8 ohm speaker taps.  It will drive any of the spatial speakers with ease.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jan 2024, 01:54 am »
That 300b stereo prototype is about 25 watts/ch.  4 and 8 ohm speaker taps.  It will drive any of the spatial speakers with ease.

Thanks Don.

geerock

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2024, 12:32 am »
Hi Steve.
Hope all is well.  Really nice set up.
To everyone else, I also have a prototype 300b stereo version that worked great with my X5's and modded Cornwall IV's.  There truly is something special about 300b's....and especially these that are designed by Don and Lynn.  28 watts of pure class A bliss.
Anyway....if anyone is interested in a very limited edition Sachs 300b, and only after dealing with Steve first, mine will be up for sale after Steve's is sold so I can finance Don's new monoblocks.